Felony Centering for steering way off...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plopez12808

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. First post here and was looking for some input. I just got the Felony and out of the box the dial for steering centering has to be this far to the left in order for it to be "center". Is there a reason it's so off and is this normal? Thanks!
20230608_201509.jpg

Hey everyone. First post here and was looking for some input. I just got the Felony and out of the box the dial for steering centering has to be this far to the left in order for it to be "center". Is there a reason it's so off and is this normal? Thanks!
View attachment 304658
Take the servo horn off center it on the remote and put the servo horn back on when wheels are strait

Yes, pull the servo horn. Center the knob on the transmitter. Turn DR to 100%. Power up the rig and let the servo center. Now put the servo horn back on with the wheels straight and center it as close as possible in the teeth. Set your steering endpoints.

Or, leave it alone... That's why they have trim knobs.. it's not hurting anything.. most likely it's not going to be centered unless you start adjusting turnbuckles...

What would be more important is if the rig steers one way further than the other.. Then you will be turning turnbuckles anyway..

If the dot drives you nuts being off center, then by all means start messing with it.. if not, run it..

Yes, pull the servo horn. Center the knob on the transmitter. Turn DR to 100%. Power up the rig and let the servo center. Now put the servo horn back on with the wheels straight and center it as close as possible in the teeth. Set your steering endpoints.
Pardon the ignorance, but what is "DR"?

Pardon the ignorance, but what is "DR"?
DR stands for Dual-Rate: it's a percentage of the steering throw. With the knob set at the farthest clockwise direction, you have 100% steering throw. Any move of the knob counter clockwise lessens the steering throw (i.e. the wheels don't steer as far in either direction).

If the car tracks straight then leave it alone its fine. Thats what that knob is for to fine tune the last little bit of alignment if not then do what’s recommended above and take the horn off and re center

If the car tracks straight then leave it alone its fine. Thats what that knob is for to fine tune the last little bit of alignment if not then do what’s recommended above and take the horn off and re center
That advice is fine for some. My OCD would preclude me from leaving it alone. Whatever the choice, don’t forget that the endpoints need to be reset if any change is made.

DR stands for Dual-Rate: it's a percentage of the steering throw. With the knob set at the farthest clockwise direction, you have 100% steering throw. Any move of the knob counter clockwise lessens the steering throw (i.e. the wheels don't steer as far in either direction).
Thank you for the explanation. Went through some YouTube videos and set the steering since it didn't seem as though it was going at 100 percent.

That's what I did. But, as I would tighten the horn down it would start to move the steering a bit so I can't get it to be completely centered. It does drive in a straight line though.

That advice is fine for some. My OCD would preclude me from leaving it alone. Whatever the choice, don’t forget that the endpoints need to be reset if any change is made.
It was a good thing I brought up the question since it seemed as though out of the box the steering was limited. Took care of the endpoints because you made a point to do so. Thank you!

Or, leave it alone... That's why they have trim knobs.. it's not hurting anything.. most likely it's not going to be centered unless you start adjusting turnbuckles...

What would be more important is if the rig steers one way further than the other.. Then you will be turning turnbuckles anyway..

If the dot drives you nuts being off center, then by all means start messing with it.. if not, run it..
+1.
100% normal where the St trim is or anywhere on the dial, so it "Drives straight". You probably need a wheel alignment/ ST tie rods may be off center if not the Servo arm. Out the box they all suck. Also if you struck something hard enough, the steeing gets tweaked, and needs to be dialed straight. Sometimes the Ackerman plate will bend with impacts and affects the steering trim as well as endpoints. Check well for bending. It is hidden and not in plain view under the Top plate. It can be hammered straight/flat again, if you remove it. Or just upgrade to a harder 7075 alloy one.
I hope you absolutely adjusted your Steering Endpoints well. Very important, or risk trashing the servo. The stocker ones suck anyway. But usually last better in the On road platforms if setup properly.

Last edited:
you can set your endpoints with the controller think you have to turn the wheel right and put the trigger in reverse then turn the car on turn the wheel one way or the other and press the little buttons under the trigger thats how I do it anyway just make sure it not making a humming noise each way before its set (y)

+1.
100% normal where the St trim is or anywhere on the dial, so it "Drives straight". You probably need a wheel alignment/ ST tie rods may be off center if not the Servo arm. Out the box they all suck. Also if you struck something hard enough, the steeing gets tweaked, and needs to be dialed straight. Sometimes the Ackerman plate will bend with impacts and affects the steering trim as well as endpoints. Check well for bending. It is hidden and not in plain view under the Top plate. It can be hammered straight/flat again, if you remove it. Or just upgrade to a harder 7075 alloy one.
I hope you absolutely adjusted your Steering Endpoints well. Very important, or risk trashing the servo. The stocker ones suck anyway. But usually last better in the On road platforms if setup properly.
I also have a 3S Infraction and I'm guessing got lucky with that since it drove straight right out of the box and no adjustment was needed. I did make adjustments to the steering endpoints.

you can set your endpoints with the controller think you have to turn the wheel right and put the trigger in reverse then turn the car on turn the wheel one way or the other and press the little buttons under the trigger thats how I do it anyway just make sure it not making a humming noise each way before its set (y)
Yes, I did that. Thank you
After making the adjustments to steering endpoints is there anything I need to do to ensure the AVC is working properly as well?

I find that if you keep the AVC Gain very low, barely at 10%, you will get the best AVC results, with no ST Servo Oscillation issues.

I find that if you keep the AVC Gain very low, barely at 10%, you will get the best AVC results, with no ST Servo Oscillation issues.
But, after making adjustments to the steering endpoints I wouldn't need to do anything for the SVC, correct? It should simply work properly and I can make adjustments as needed. I like it turned down as well. I would notice that at a higher rate it would oscillate.

I also have a 3S Infraction and I'm guessing got lucky with that since it drove straight right out of the box and no adjustment was needed. I did make adjustments to the steering endpoints.

Yes, I did that. Thank you
After making the adjustments to steering endpoints is there anything I need to do to ensure the AVC is working properly as well?
never used AVC so carn't help you there I put xt90 connectors on from new and just cut the grey wire off. I don't run on road cars though maybe AVC is good for that sort of bashing

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back