clicking... I need your opinion ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coopsonthefarm

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
So iv just noticed a click in one of my Kraton’s diffs somewhere. Its only noticeable when breaking heavily. Im not sure ware it’s coming from and would have to start guessing which diff to take apart. Im thinkin about letting it go until it’s obvious to ware it’s coming from. It would save alot of time. What do you guys do, dig through all your diffs at first sound or run till its really toasted to pinpoint exactly ware it’s coming from? Thanks

You can go by load and simple physics. Here’s how I like to think: When accelerating, the weight of the vehicle is transferred to the rear, which makes the rear diff under the most pressure. When braking or reversing, the most pressure is at the front. I’d check the front out first. The center is always the second choice after the first step. (Say, you take apart the front diff, find nothing, then you would take apart the center)

I run my trucks even after I hear a clicking because the gear is already dead and you might as well get a run or two out of it instead of putting a new gear in right away.

You can go by load and simple physics. Here’s how I like to think: When accelerating, the weight of the vehicle is transferred to the rear, which makes the rear diff under the most pressure. When braking or reversing, the most pressure is at the front. I’d check the front out first. The center is always the second choice after the first step. (Say, you take apart the front diff, find nothing, then you would take apart the center)

I run my trucks even after I hear a clicking because the gear is already dead and you might as well get a run or two out of it instead of putting a new gear in right away.
This is great info!! Thanks so much!!??

Yes i have plenty, not on this rig though. Its a v4 and i was under the impression that the v4 diffs didn’t need shimming. I’ll investigate ??

You may not notice it at first, but it takes very little tooth damage for the diff to skip teeth. The teeth are pretty shallow and with such a small pinion, there's not a ton of contact area.

What you see here is all it took for my front diff to skip when braking:
2018-0820-OutcastFrontRingPinionDamage.JPG

Also, make sure your diff case/cap screws are secure. If they are stripped, they will allow the diff to move under load which will cause this problem to happen as well. That was how my first front diff died. I'm not sure why this one died... bad landing I guess. I was running 4S at the time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back