Big Rock Considering a Big Rock? Things you need to know

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful with those rock beast II. They will not hold up on 6s. I run a set of those on my Kraton on 4s with a blx200 system and 17 tooth pinion and they become pizza cutters at speed. The car almost become uncontrolable. Pretty sure they will blow up on 6s. Just my $.02.

I have been playing around with the diff fluid to try and reduce the ballooning but not really an option on the BR unless you drive with the center diff locked all the time.
Thank you for saving me $100+ :)

I will be taping them significantly. But, this truck is getting so expensive to drive in going to be playing with the slash a bit more. So this will be a looker more than anything I think.

Carnage. 24 screws out of the vertical plates and various other components just to change the broken front body posts.

Broken roll hoop, both bumpers, front and rear skid plates, rear body posts, thankfully not the whole thing.

Come on AARMA..

I will be fitting rubber bumpers to the bottom of the body post brackets in an attempt to minimize the future breaks on these parts. Also going to be fitting the t bone wheelie bar and thrasher bumper in an attempt to minimize future breakage. Feel the pain.. $60 in parts in one session

Attachments

• 20170115_180158.jpg
    20170115_180158.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I will be taping them significantly. But, this truck is getting so expensive to drive in going to be playing with the slash a bit more. So this will be a looker more than anything I think.

Carnage. 24 screws out of the vertical plates and various other components just to change the broken front body posts.

Broken roll hoop, both bumpers, front and rear skid plates, rear body posts, thankfully not the whole thing.

Come on AARMA..

I will be fitting rubber bumpers to the bottom of the body post brackets in an attempt to minimize the future breaks on these parts. Also going to be fitting the t bone wheelie bar and thrasher bumper in an attempt to minimize future breakage. Feel the pain.. $60 in parts in one session
Trust my, I don't mean to sound like an a"*, but those breakages don't worry me in the least.

That's actually good to hear.

Trust my, I don't mean to sound like an a"*, but those breakages don't worry me in the least.

That's actually good to hear.

Oh I agree.. I'm am honestly dumbfounded at the hits this truck can drive away from. But.. These little parts are adding up quickly, some are my fault, but others are kind of Rediculous (the grub screws and pinion for example). All that said, it's a very tough truck, I think with a couple simple design changes (and better driving on my part) it will iron out for the most part. I am finding all the weak points for my driving style/ability and going to attempt to bullet proof them as much as possible.

First of all,... I am very lucky with my Big Rock.
But in all cases you will find some points to optimize mechanical parts! ;)
@stalled mule
Hi, I have my Big Rock now since around 6 weeks.
I did not broke a pin till yet but also running 6s (with small gear) but not all the time.
Most just 4s offload. To prevent you're rear bumper, you have the options original (which is not very stable and will break easy)
than T-Bone bar or homemade. Take a look into the gallery, there you will find my solution which is working fine.
If you like to have a g-code file for a cnc-milling, I can send you.
The only damages I had was a broken body stand and a lot of scratches outside of the body.

The servo point: Yes, its not strong and if you like to crawl with a Nero it´s to week.
On the other hand, for normal driving it is strong enough but you have to move forward.
I do also approve that Arrma have to do an Upgrade concerning that point.
I will change it if the old one will be broken, cause if we want to buy a factory-waterproof-servo we have
not so much selection options comparing the original diameter.
Thats has confused me that Arrma did not made enough space around the servo to put a much bigger and faster servo in.
The servo safer is not nice and not so precise but it is working if you make the setup correctly.

Rocker arms and Pins:
I agree that there is the same problem the Nero prefer already have had. Arms or shock absorber ends and the plastics at the rods.
The plastic arms will bend and the space in area of the shocker ends are not enough.
Opposite to you, I prefer the GKA-Rocker arms, course the will put in the force symmetric on the pin with less bending.
Also these pins are a litte tiny. I also prefer bigger pins with M5 tap. Similar to the Traxxas.
The rod ends also a litte small, i putted rowings around the plastics and have no damaging till yet.

Tires...yeah,. thats a big point.
The originals are working fine up to 4s, but with less traction offroad.
On the other hand, if you have more traction, you also have more force on the driveshaft screws.
Normally i expect these pins as an designed breaking point to prevent the drivetrain if a wheel is blocked.
Otherwise the pins had to be so stable that they stay in normal conditions which this car is designed for!

I have one point more.. It ist the constriction of the servo mechanics of the diff locks.
I miss a kind of servo saver between the claw and the servo, that it is not possible to block the servo.
The pins insite seams to be also a little weak. some guys had broken / bend them.
Mine are still OK, but I take a lot of care that I switch them over with very low speed.

Battery tray... Hm, i think there is one more point to make things better.
The tray locker is not a quite good design comparing what fore this car is designed.
Inroad it is OK, but dirt and mud makes it very quick out of function. I do not like to clean them up while i am outside.
It ist very often that the red locker keeps inside an did not reach the other mechanics. Result will be that the tray pops up and you're LiPo is flying away. I had it tree times now. Not funny, cause if a soft case LiPo crashes against a tree, in the badest case you had to buy new ones.

Mainly it´s a great car and it´s make a lot of fun! I did not regret that i chose this car instead of E-Revo / Summit!
Hopefully Arrma see´s this points and can offer us an solution to fix the "weak" points.
If there do so, the Nero will getting more and more popular and will be special in it´s art.

Regards,
lonee
how to you adjust the servo saver or just buy a better servo

I'm thinking of getting a Big Rock. I've read about a bunch of weak spots that the Nero/Fazon/Big Rock have and am wondering how many of these are no longer problems running on 4s as you don't hit stuff as fast or jump as high and far? It seems from reading most posts that most of the people that are breaking a bunch of parts are running on 6s. I currently have a Senton, and Typhon and my son has a Kraton that we run on 4s most of the time and I don't break much of anything but when I do run 6s I normally break something.

I'm thinking of getting a Big Rock. I've read about a bunch of weak spots that the Nero/Fazon/Big Rock have and am wondering how many of these are no longer problems running on 4s as you don't hit stuff as fast or jump as high and far? It seems from reading most posts that most of the people that are breaking a bunch of parts are running on 6s. I currently have a Senton, and Typhon and my son has a Kraton that we run on 4s most of the time and I don't break much of anything but when I do run 6s I normally break something.
Rocker posts and the occasional rod end have broken on mine and I run 6s but those were on small jumps. I'm putting on revo rocker posts to replace the stockers but the gka ones look promising as well. Overall it has been a pretty tough truck though. I have the OG nero.

I haven't really broken anything on 4s. It's still fun.. BUT, once you play with it on 6... It's a different truck..

On another note I did my mock up on the 40 series wheels and tires today and it's AWESOME.

And I'm considering a new body as well....

Another angle on the bead locks and pitbull tires

Attachments

• 20170121_160335.jpg
    20170121_160335.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 20170121_213341.jpg
    20170121_213341.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 20170121_160344.jpg
    20170121_160344.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 113
I haven't really broken anything on 4s. It's still fun.. BUT, once you play with it on 6... It's a different truck..

On another note I did my mock up on the 40 series wheels and tires today and it's AWESOME.

And I'm considering a new body as well....

Another angle on the bead locks and pitbull tires
What is that body on the big rock?

Attachments

• IMG_20170122_142402.jpg
    IMG_20170122_142402.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20170122_142413.jpg
    IMG_20170122_142413.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
The body is a proline desert raid body off of my slash. I have a custom big rock body coming but after I destroy that I'll be looking into options for something different. And with the 40 series wheels and tires the slash bodies will be a great fit

The body is a proline desert raid body off of my slash. I have a custom big rock body coming but after I destroy that I'll be looking into options for something different. And with the 40 series wheels and tires the slash bodies will be a great fit
Do you need the big rock body mounts if you just have the blue nero?

Do you need the big rock body mounts if you just have the blue nero?

Don't know.. I still haven't mounted up this body.. And honestly don't know if I will. It looks cool but if my slash 4x4 can destroy the body in 1 run (and it can) I worry about the weight of the nero or big rock just ripping the body off if it rolls. That said I may still try it for giggles. And mounts will have to be modified no matter what

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back