Kraton Converting V5 Notorious into Kraton EXB with V5 electronics. Making sure I have all the parts needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
OK. Since the EXB came out Ive had my eye on it but held off and bought the V5 Notorious. I love the truck but miss the handling of the V4 Kraton I sold. So I thought about getting all the parts I need to convert my V5 Notorious into a Kraton EXB with V5 parts and electronics. I just put in a large order at Jennys and Ebay and just wanted to post my parts ordered and parts I already had here to make sure I have everything I will need. So here is the list.

• Body - ARA106053. (53.29) Ordered from JRC
  • Chassis – ARA320570. (64.47) Ordered from JRC
  • Shock Towers - ARA320577 and ARA320580. ($46.47) Even though the V5s would have worked I ordered these as well. Ordered from JRC
  • Tires - AR550059 ($50.47) Ordered the V5 ones instead of the EXB ones since they are the same and the V5 ones are $8 less. Ordered from JRC
  • Tower to Tower brace complete ($3.47) ARA320503 Ordered from JRC
  • Rear Wing ($13.47) AR480002 Had to order the V5 ones for $3 more since the EXB ones were out of stock, but they are the same part #. Ordered from JRC
  • Chassis Braces. Already have the front EXB and rear EXB braces
  • EXB Front Bumper ARA320573 (Already have on my Notorious)
  • Shocks. Same as V5 will just use Notorious ones
  • Center roll cage, Side guards, mud guards, front and rear body posts. (Found all these as a combo from a V4 one Ebay).
  • EXB Steering rack ARA340174 (Ordered from Ebay)
  • EXB Rear dogbone AR310460 (Ordered from Ebay)
  • Receiver and battery boxes (Same as V5, will use Notorious ones)
  • Diffs (Will use all 3 V5 versions I have on my Notorious).
  • A-Arms. (Same as V5, will use Notorious ones)
  • Front steering blocks and rear hubs (Same as V5, will use Notorious ones)
  • ESC. Will be using Firma ESC from V5
  • Motor. Will be using Spektrum motor from V5
  • Servo. DS3225 already have
  • Radio. Flysky FS-GT5. Already have.

Total cost for all parts from JRC and Ebay $296.92

So thats the list I have. If there is anything I am missing here or need can someone let me know? I also noticed that the EXB chassis has different cases for the diffs. Will I have any issues using the V5 diffs on the EXB chassis? Also what are the differences/ advantages if any of the EXB diffs over the V5s? Once I receive all the parts I will post a new build thread. Thank you!!

PS: Check your bank accounts. I have the $600 Stimulus money already pending in my checking account!! Perfect timing!!

Last edited:
If you are referring to the Fr and Rr diff bulkheads, they are the same as V5/V4. never changed.
>>>Don't forget the EXB Front bumper!!!
>>> Need the Fr upper arm EXB captured Hinge pins and block
A must have.
BTW, thanks for the $heads$ up. I guess the Eagle has landed. ? :cool:

If you are referring to the Fr and Rr diff bulkheads, they are the same as V5/V4. never changed.
>>>Don't forget the EXB Front bumper!!!
A must have.
BTW, thanks for the $heads$ up. I guess the Eagle has landed. ? :cool:
Yes. I forgot to add that I already have one installed on my Notorious. Ill add it.
Another part I just noticed that is different is the red EXB steering rack ARA340174. Is there any reason to order this, or can I just use my V5 entire steering rack on the EXB?

Another part I just noticed that is different is the red EXB steering rack ARA340174. Is there any reason to order this, or can I just use my V5 entire steering rack on the EXB?

Last edited:
The only difference of the whole St rack is the EXB has the 7075 alu. Ackerman plate. That doesn't bend like butter anymore.

The only difference of the whole St rack is the EXB has the 7075 alu. Ackerman plate. That doesn't bend like butter anymore.
OK. Ill be ordering one. I think thats it for everything I need. Ill keep looking over pics and the exploded views for any other stuff I may need. Also do you know what (if any) advantages there are in the EXB diffs vs the V4 and V5 diffs?

Stay with the V5 diffs IMHO. Your call. EXB diffs are up there in price and hard to source parts still. If running 6s The V5 diffs are fine. I think. That's what I would do at least. ?‍♂️

Agreed, V5 diffs are fine for a Kraton. In my experience. For my notorious however its gotta have an EXB Open Diff in the rear. Nothing else holds up.

29mm GP4 ring and pinion is stronger, just that Arrma's fix for the rear "supposedly Open" EXB setup was to setup as a stage one LSD now.
It is not truly open Any longer, with the "fixed setup. ?‍♂️ LSD at the rear with V5 open Fr and Center may not be great for a Kraton Steering wise. Too much "push" will result.?‍♂️
You don't want LSD only in the rear. The Fix made it no longer Open. Running 6s with V5 diffs are fine.
Arrma was better off just leaving out LSD in the EXB diffs.
Should have concentrated on better quality sun and satellite gears, left them ALL Open. For a Track rig there is some advantage with this LSD design.. Not here with Bashers. EXB diffs are more $$ to get and maintain. There are more parts to manage overall. LSD Plates now that "cup out" etc.
They still wear out no matter what.
Just my opinions above. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
For awhile I started thinking I should have just bought a complete EXB and was considering it then got the JRC notice my parts had shipped. At least this way I save about $200 and basically get the same truck with very minor differences. (Diffs, different tie rods).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back