Custom built talion xl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonjon0389

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Okay so here is the issue.
I I'm running a Castle Creations 1515 motor with the mamba x8s. I have a fireteam center to set up. Then I have Creighton front and back diffs. I'm running a 18 tooth pinion with the whatever it comes on the Center Drive for a fire team. I've got Proline Badlands I think they're bad ones tires the monster truck tires. I've got the m2c Italian XL beef kit on it the extra large one. I've got upgraded dog bones Center Drive bones, RPM arms front and back, fast Eddie bearings throughout. The issue I'm having is I had to just lower from a 20 tooth pinion because the motor kept overheating every like seven or eight minutes and it cut off. Oh yeah I'm running the basher batteries 120c 6800 mAh. So I went down to an 18 tooth because it was overheating and I had to go down to a 15 tooth because it was still overheating but the issue I'm having now is is the diffs the little pin in the diffs snap left and right the front one will break I'll replace it as soon as I replace it the back window break I've probably been through seven pins in the last week and I haven't driven the car more than an hour does anyone have any ideas

Ran that motor on a Mojave, screamed around the track a few packs but didn’t last long before it burnt up in a 15lb rig.

048F21FC-4605-4D50-BE34-091AAEBF8C0C.jpeg

Last edited:
1515 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too small for that truck. You sir need a 1717. Also What kv is your 1515 motor?
Agree. Need a bigger motor for that gearing. 1515 only comes in 2200kv.

The 1515 may be okay if you gear way down. Like 12-13 pinion.

man you guys are funny!! I run the 1515 with the MMX8S in a EXB Kraton and have no problems well besides being fast as hell. I've run 75mph + with a 20t (I normally run a 17t or 18t) pinion I've been running this setup for over a year with no problems no heat issues at all.
I I'm running a Castle Creations 1515 motor with the mamba x8s. I have a fireteam center to set up. Then I have Creighton front and back diffs. I'm running a 18 tooth pinion with the whatever it comes on the Center Drive for a fire team. I've got Proline Badlands I think they're bad ones tires the monster truck tires. I've got the m2c Italian XL beef kit on it the extra large one. I've got upgraded dog bones Center Drive bones, RPM arms front and back, fast Eddie bearings throughout. The issue I'm having is I had to just lower from a 20 tooth pinion because the motor kept overheating every like seven or eight minutes and it cut off. Oh yeah I'm running the basher batteries 120c 6800 mAh. So I went down to an 18 tooth because it was overheating and I had to go down to a 15 tooth because it was still overheating but the issue I'm having now is is the diffs the little pin in the diffs snap left and right the front one will break I'll replace it as soon as I replace it the back window break I've probably been through seven pins in the last week and I haven't driven the car more than an hour does anyone have any ideas
your problems not from the motor/esc it sounds like something is binding in your driveline or not installed correctly to keep snapping pins.

Well played, I was looking at 1512's
man you guys are funny!! I run the 1515 with the MMX8S in a EXB Kraton and have no problems well besides being fast as hell. I've run 75mph + with a 20t (I normally run a 17t or 18t) pinion I've been running this setup for over a year with no problems no heat issues at all.

your problems not from the motor/esc it sounds like something is binding in your driveline or not installed correctly to keep snapping pins.
well 2 things here. 1 he's running a MUCH heavier setup than you are. 2 if you are having no heat issues then you aren't running it that hard. That motor is the same size as a stock arrma motor with a higher kv and if you are running a 20t pinion with no heat problems then you're running 2 times down the street and stopping

Well played, I was looking at 1512's

well 2 things here. 1 he's running a MUCH heavier setup than you are. 2 if you are having no heat issues then you aren't running it that hard. That motor is the same size as a stock arrma motor with a higher kv and if you are running a 20t pinion with no heat problems then you're running 2 times down the street and stopping
The talion is lighter then the EXB kraton. I run a M2C chassis,towers,shock stand off and proline badlands belted I’m pretty heavy. I bet I’m as heavy or heavier then his ever in XL.
The talion is lighter then the EXB kraton. I run a M2C chassis,towers,shock stand off and proline badlands belted I’m pretty heavy. I bet I’m as heavy or heavier then his ever in XL.
Also I run it hard it’s are launch vehicle so it gets no rest.

Also I run it hard it’s are launch vehicle so it gets no rest.
I have run a lot of different motors and different gearing. A 20 tooth on a 2200 kv is going to get hot. I presume you are running 6s?

I stand by my statement that you aren't running it that hard. Maybe you jump it hard but that's not the same thing.

I have run a lot of different motors and different gearing. A 20 tooth on a 2200 kv is going to get hot. I presume you are running 6s?

I stand by my statement that you aren't running it that hard. Maybe you jump it hard but that's not the same thing.
I’ve run the setup for over a year on 6S and we do run It hard we do speed runs all the time. My max6 shutdown before this setup.

I’ve run the setup for over a year on 6S and we do run It hard we do speed runs all the time. My max6 shutdown before th
🤘🏻
As far as your pin issue goes I would say you just need to check everything and make sure it's all spinning freely. What weight diff oil are you using?

Last edited:
My mistake I'm running the 1520 it's the same as a 1717 but with lower kv
🤘🏻

As far as your pin issue goes I would say you just need to check everything and make sure it's all spinning freely. What weight diff oil are you using?
Sorry I'm running the 1520 it's the exact same as 1717 just lower kv

My mistake I'm running the 1520 it's the same as a 1717 but with lower kv

Sorry I'm running the 1520 it's the exact same as 1717 just lower kv
the 1520 and the 1717 are both 1650KV I have both motors and the 1520 isn't as torquey as the 1717. the 1520 reminds me of a BIG 1515 motor the way its power comes on. I like both motors I run the 1520 in a Beefcake Kraton its a beast.

the 1520 and the 1717 are both 1650KV I have both motors and the 1520 isn't as torquey as the 1717. the 1520 reminds me of a BIG 1515 motor the way its power comes on. I like both motors I run the 1520 in a Beefcake Kraton its a beast.
Can you share your gearing set up. I am about to install this set up on current Kraton 6s rebuild (1520-1650kv cc). My diffs are f60, c200, b30. Will be running on 6s. Just wanting to know where to start. I was thinking around 18t with stock 50t spur. Trying to control heat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back