Big Rock Cutting out ):

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmer101

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

Advice if you would be kind enough?

So yesterday I changed the kick settings to max on my big rock and now when I use it the rig cuts out .. I wait for about 10 seconds and then it works again. Very annoying 🙄.

I have tried to reduce the 'kick' but I now just get a steady clicking/beeping sound which is weird.

Help!

Many thanks

Simon

+1
Punch setting, or "Kick" as you are describing it, will pull extreme amps, the higher the setting becomes. The ESC will Cut on you. Gearing plays a major part in this. At some point Punch can become too extreme for your setup.
Even your Lipo's play into this. If they are tired or underrated with its amp delivery.
I am very conservative with my Punch settings. One level up or down as needed, at a time, to evaluate. Watching temps as well with a Temp Gun in hand always.
User Throttle finger control plays a big part in this also. Easy with your Thr. finger. Or drop down one Punch level. Or consider a pinion gear change. 1 or 2 teeth smaller pinion.

You are not changing the punch right that's why you get a steady beeping noise
Thanks but it is not entering the cycle at all. .. no green light flash after the constant red ticking bleeping sound. Then when I let go it just goes back to flickering red.

I just fixed this!

I reduced the throttle on the controller.. the car now enters the kick settings!

Recalibrate the ESC to the radio. Per the ESC manual.
Do this on the bench with the wheels removed, or on a stand.

>>>Forw./Neutral/Brake Endpoints need to be reset at the ESC.
Then Reverse will work.

Edited.

Last edited:
You are not changing the punch right that's why you get a steady beeping noise

+1
Punch setting, or "Kick" as you are describing it, will pull extreme amps, the higher the setting becomes. The ESC will Cut on you. Gearing plays a major part in this. At some point Punch can become too extreme for your setup.
Even your Lipo's play into this. If they are tired or underrated with its amp delivery.
I am very conservative with my Punch settings. One level up or down as needed, at a time, to evaluate. Watching temps as well with a Temp Gun in hand always.
User Throttle finger control plays a big part in this also. Easy with your Thr. finger. Or drop down one Punch level. Or consider a pinion gear change. 1 or 2 teeth smaller pinion.

Wow...!

So this is my issue. New TLR running 4S, 2050kv motor, Firma 150A, 19T pinion, and punch on 7 where default is 4 and max is 9. It only does it once just when I start bashing but it stops...still has steering and the lights will not move. After 1sec or so, it will move again...sometimes if close I can hear the motor beeping as if the ESC has restarted.

Now if I put the new Max8 in there can I keep all those settings or still have the same issue....hmmm or is it about the punch now!

Wow...!

So this is my issue. New TLR running 4S, 2050kv motor, Firma 150A, 19T pinion, and punch on 7 where default is 4 and max is 9. It only does it once just when I start bashing but it stops...still has steering and the lights will not move. After 1sec or so, it will move again...sometimes if close I can hear the motor beeping as if the ESC has restarted.

Now if I put the new Max8 in there can I keep all those settings or still have the same issue....hmmm or is it about the punch now!
Kinda depends. What batteries are you running?

Kinda depends. What batteries are you running?
Only 4S 6200mah these are CNHL...single battery. They really have a burst of power hold strong until it hits it low curve as I get closer to LVC

Only 4S 6200mah these are CNHL...single battery. They really have a burst of power hold strong until it hits it low curve as I get closer to LVC
Thx for the reply...

I removed the Firma 150A and put in an HW Max8 ESC. I took it out to bash it today and no cutting out. My issue was the ESC itself. I will say the Firma 150A works but has some issues and hate to toss it but have no idea why it cuts out. Maybe that is the Spekturm frustration many talk about with the 150A. It is about 2yrs old and was in my Infraction for 20 months. Well that's the two-year warrant :)

FYI @SrC

Thanks but it is not entering the cycle at all. .. no green light flash after the constant red ticking bleeping sound. Then when I let go it just goes back to flickering red.
You're not holding the set button long enough. Flickering red is throttle calibration mode. You have to hold the set button longer to get to ESC settings mode. I think you actually changed the calibration when you thought you were changing punch.

This chart and video are for throttle calibration. DO THIS FIRST. One thing the video forgets to mention. The throttle dial on your transmitter should be centered, in the middle, before you calibrate. It should NOT be turned up.

a throttle.JPG

After you calibrate the throttle, THEN you can adjust your ESC settings including punch. You have to hold down the set button much longer to get to the ESC settings. Keep holding it the entire time it is flashing red. Eventually it will flash green and beep. But one beep is to change the "Low Voltage Cut-Off Threshold". To get to "Punch Setting" you have to keep holding it until you get two beeps with green flashes. After you get two green beeps, let go of the set button. Next, press the set button until the red beeps equal the punch level you want. It will beep red 3 times for punch 3, 4 times for punch 4, BUT at punch 5 it will give you a long sustained beep.

a ESC.JPG

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back