Did a thing..... The Holy Grail of ESC Covers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCbuzz

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Senton 3s
I have always been surprised there was no 3D Printed HobbyWing 40mm Max6 G1 ESC Covers to try out (there are Max5 variants on Thingiverse).

To my surprise a design showed up for the Max6 G2, huge shoutout to SirBeck58 for creating and sharing this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6420721).

It got me thinking... I could probably modify that design to fit a Max6 G1.. This is how it started.. 8 hours into it I have realized a few things.

1. I probably should have started from scratch :LOL: , as it turns out modifying an existing design has its own challenges.
2. Print files on Thingiverse (or other sites) are not design ready and import as a mesh with a thousands of triangles.
3. Uploading an existing 3D print file into TinkerCad will give you a leg up and smooth out the design and give you more solids to work with. <-- Thank you @dure16 for pointing this out.
2. Give plenty of respect to 3D designers, it is a handful. (y)
2. My print bed is having adhesion issues even with glue stick.... 👀 Adding more glue stick...

Things I have changed in the design for the 40mm Hobbywing Max6 G1 Shroud/Cover.

1. Shrunk the holes for the 40mm fan down to 2.7mm so you don't have to use brass inserts (screw the fan directly to the cover).
2. Cut out a section on the front near the motor plugs for the Max6 G1 Heatsink (designed differently than the Max6 G2)
3. Added some strength to the motor plug face.
4. Changed up the back end that protects the capacitors to allow the wires to exit out the top of the cover.
5. Rounded edges all over the model to prevent wire edge wear.
6. Adjusted the sides to fit the Max6 G1 Heatsink.
7. Thickened up the rear of the cover and added a couple hold tabs.
8. Switched around the Fan connection and LED holes.

Running a test print now. 🤞

In progress1 (Med.PNG

In progress2 (Med.PNG

In progress3 (Med.PNG

test print 1.jpg

Last edited:
I have always been surprised there was no 3D Printed HobbyWing 40mm Max6 G1 ESC Covers to try out (there are Max5 variants on Thingiverse).

To my surprise a design showed up for the Max6 G2, huge shoutout to SirBeck58 for creating and sharing this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6420721).

It got me thinking... I could probably modify that design to fit a Max6 G1.. This is how it started.. 8 hours into it I have realized a few things.

1. I probably should have started from scratch :LOL: , as it turns out modifying an existing design has its own challenges.
2. Print files on Thingiverse (or other sites) are not design ready and import as a mesh with a thousands of triangles.
3. Uploading an existing 3D print file into TinkerCad will give you a leg up and smooth out the design and give you more solids to work with. <-- Thank you @dure16 for pointing this out.

2. Give plenty of respect to 3D designers, it is a handful. (y)

🍺🤣🤘

2. My print bed is having adhesion issues even with glue stick.... 👀 Adding more glue stick...

Clean off your bed with Hot soapy water.
Your bed is caked with residue..

And, try painter's tape (Scotch blue)
Will work better.
& clean.

Things I have changed in the design for the 40mm Hobbywing Max6 G1 Shroud/Cover.

1. Shrunk the holes for the 40mm fan down to 2.7mm so you don't have to use brass inserts (screw the fan directly to the cover).
2. Cut out a section on the front near the motor plugs for the Max6 G1 Heatsink (designed differently than the Max6 G2)
3. Added some strength to the motor plug face.
4. Changed up the back end that protects the capacitors to allow the wires to exit out the top of the cover.
5. Rounded edges all over the model to prevent wire edge wear.
6. Adjusted the sides to fit the Max6 G1 Heatsink.
7. Thickened up the rear of the cover and added a couple hold tabs.
8. Switched around the Fan connection and LED holes.

Running a test print now. 🤞

View attachment 354280

View attachment 354281

View attachment 354282

View attachment 354283

Looks like a solid start with your modifications.
Keep us posted. 👍

Clean off your bed with Hot soapy water.
Your bed is caked with residue..

And, try painter's tape (Scotch blue)
Will work better.
& clean.
I will give it another try. Cleaned with Alcohol before hand, used to use painters tape before this glass bed, good stuff.

Nicely done! I bet that was a ton of work in tinkercad 🤣

I’d recommend downloading Mesh Mixer. It’s a free program that lets you simplify designs (aka reduce number of triangles) with the click of a button.
Indeed it was/is :cool: , thanks for the tip on Mesh Mixer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st prototype needs a bit of work, opening up front was not wide enough and it snapped rather easy, rear hold tabs need slight adjustment, work in progress:

Proto 1.jpg

Proto 2.jpg

Proto 3.jpg

In progress4  (Med.PNG

Last edited:
I will give it another try. Cleaned with Alcohol before hand, used to use painters tape before this glass bed, good stuff.

Indeed it was/is :cool: , thanks for the tip on Mesh Mixer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st prototype needs a bit of work, opening up front was not wide enough and it snapped rather easy, rear hold tabs need slight adjustment, work in progress:

View attachment 354314
View attachment 354315
View attachment 354316
View attachment 354317

Looking good. 👍

Just heads up I've found those silky/metallic filaments to be really brittle.
I have had very good luck with this Hobbyking PLA, I think I can chalk this one up to a slightly too low hot end temp and design. It probably didn't help that I took wire cutters to it as well.

Good to know on the metallic's, they looks so nice.

Hmm I think I figured out why the glass build plate was not working so well. Still gave it a good wash.

Next Prototype, I see the corner lifting slightly 👀

Prototype 2.jpg

Plate.jpg

There is a dude that makes one https://wforccustoms.com/products/max-6-fan-shroud I bought one once, the print "quality" on it was garbage it had giant voids inside so it broke very quickly. By far the worst 3D printed item I have ever purchased.

1711173743884.png

1711173777498.png

1711173794897.png

There is a dude that makes one https://wforccustoms.com/products/max-6-fan-shroud I bought one once, the print "quality" on it was garbage it had giant voids inside so it broke very quickly. By far the worst 3D printed item I have ever purchased.

View attachment 356278

View attachment 356279

View attachment 356280

You can see that the underside layers of the part are Under extruded..

Also, Looks like he tried to get the part printed as Fast as possible...
By printing what looks like only 2 walls(outer shells) and the absolute Bare minimum of infills - probably less than 5% ,if that..

That's what's you do to get a prototype done to just check fitment...
But shouldn't ever be done for the Final product/production.

It needs at about 4-5 walls for that size item and at least 15-20% infill.

Wow that is a bad print job. He has no business selling parts like that.

Agreed.

I'm going to guess he didn't even design the part, let alone bother to stress test it...

It's actually embarrassing!

Last edited:

View attachment 356278

View attachment 356279

View attachment 356280
Sorry for the delay, in the final rev of the remix now and just printed what I hope is the last prototype before release. (Thinkercad really got me and undid some steps who knows how long ago? Caused the model to get "strange")

I will post the final files to Thingiverse so this long needed design can get some use (or remixed again 😆) 👍

Slick let me know and I will print you a couple if you want to try them out. We have needed a free design for the Max6 G1/Spektrum 160/Dynamite FUZE 160A/Redcat Vigilante 160A fan shroud basically since the esc's came out.

This forum rocks! Thanks for following along 😀.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, in the final rev of the remix now and just printed what I hope is the last prototype before release. (Thinkercad really got me and undid some steps who knows how long ago? Caused the model to get "strange")

I will post the final files to Thingiverse so this long needed design can get some use (or remixed again 😆) 👍

Slick let me know and I will print you a couple if you want to try them out. We have needed a free design for the Max6 G1/Spektrum 160/Dynamite FUZE 160A/Redcat Vigilante 160A fan shroud basically since the esc's came out.

This forum rocks! Thanks for following along 😀.

I'm actually looking into getting a printer myself, the main reason I stumbled across this thread because I was browsing through the 3D printing section.

Back