DIY Wireless dual temp sensor setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in for two. With gps datalog.
Please PM me so I can keep track.

If anyone else is interested in ordering please PM me, 🙏.
Looking good. Have you considered getting custom PCBs made? Having just done it for my light controller, I was quite surprised at how inexpensive it was to get PCBs made and assembled, even at small quantities.
I really would like to do that, of course I struggle with creating the layout that must be submitted. I'm trying to learn how to use those apps now so I can do exactly that.

I wonder if I wire antenna might be better than the stick. Less mass, easier to work with, etc, etc.
So since it's an nrf24l01 module it needs a 2.4GHz antenna, the stick. However I have shorty 2in ones in the mail for trials.

I'm also waiting on another class of transceiver to come in the mail, it's smaller with a small antenna still with good range but a smudge increase in power consumption. This are suppose to come this weekend then I can write the code, wire them up and test.

I really would like to do that, of course I struggle with creating the layout that must be submitted. I'm trying to learn how to use those apps now so I can do exactly that.
Yeah, I found it quite a steep learning curve, but the tools are actually really good once you understand the flow. I used KiCad which seems well-supported. I'm not normally one for video tutorials but I found this one very good (mostly because he talks fast and keeps moving!). I managed to find a sample PCB layout for the microprocessor I was using and used that as a starting point. The hardest part of the process was designing the PCB around components that JLCPCB had in stock. I'm obviously not an expert having only done it once, but happy to share what I've learned.

Ready....but I still could find the antenna a challenge to get all under my RC body.... :unsure:
This is something that I may have to address after user testing.
Yeah, I found it quite a steep learning curve, but the tools are actually really good once you understand the flow. I used KiCad which seems well-supported. I'm not normally one for video tutorials but I found this one very good (mostly because he talks fast and keeps moving!). I managed to find a sample PCB layout for the microprocessor I was using and used that as a starting point. The hardest part of the process was designing the PCB around components that JLCPCB had in stock. I'm obviously not an expert having only done it once, but happy to share what I've learned.
I very much appreciate that. Once the final version is ready this is my ideal next step. Would love to hear what you learned.

Update: so the two gps module I ordered were bad so those are on re order, finally got the HC 12 transceiver modules in so hoping to get those wired up soon. This may be a better setup than the current nrf24l01 antenna as the HC 12 antenna is only one inch with theoretical better range.

Have the final harness version *pic below, old on top, new bottom. Plugs into the ESC and powers: x2 fans, lights and stats unit.

Have all components for the receiver: nano, hi Def oled display, antenna module and SD card reader for days log.

Duel temp and data logging units should be ready for ordering this weekend!

20220214_123556.jpg

Update: so the two gps module I ordered were bad so those are on re order, finally got the HC 12 transceiver modules in so hoping to get those wired up soon. This may be a better setup than the current nrf24l01 antenna as the HC 12 antenna is only one inch with theoretical better range.

Have the final harness version *pic below, old on top, new bottom. Plugs into the ESC and powers: x2 fans, lights and stats unit.

Have all components for the receiver: nano, hi Def oled display, antenna module and SD card reader for days log.

Duel temp and data logging units should be ready for ordering this weekend!

View attachment 200183
thats freaking awesome Man, well done.

Do you still make these? I have so many questions!

Good question!

Jan 2022 he and I were texting & PM back and forth on temp projects, and he went ghost. Since I find another way using temp probs to get my temps. He had some good ideas, yet I was still curious about how I was going to get it in my bashers. Nevertheless, he was making a cool device. Hope he comes back to that project!

(y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back