Does axle u join orientation matter??(NERO)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
i got a second arrma nero im almost done cleanjng. While i was putting the shafts back togueter and changing the rear cvd tube something came up in my head. I read somewhere here that CVD positioning is important. On the nero you can orient the CVD how you want after closer inspection on my nero big rock manual i found this. My big eock makes some weird noises when running off the ground and the tires jump up and down a bit like if the motor was locking up. Anyone who knows the answer please let me know!
20231001_002501.jpg
20231001_002249.jpg
20231001_002321.jpg
20231001_002356.jpg

It's called drive shaft phase. The yoke at each end should be aligned like the bottom of picture 11. Notice the "C"s are aligned.
View attachment 324888

This cancels the vibrations and keep a constant velocity on the other side.

A video demonstration.

I've Never thought about that..
A universal joint needing to be "in phase"...

I think I even seen that video before (at a glance) ,but didn't really click with me before....

Thank you for sharing it again.
Now I think I understand.
I'll have to make a mental note of this. 👍

It's called drive shaft phase. The yoke at each end should be aligned like the bottom of picture 11. Notice the "C"s are aligned.
View attachment 324888

This cancels the vibrations and keep a constant velocity on the other side.

A video demonstration.
That is EXACTLY what my nero big rock feels like when i spin a tire by hand
those little (!) means almost nothing unless you know and pay attention to the picture normal user wont even know their axles have to be in a specific orientation. Could this be a reason why nero axles been failing on some people?
I hope my center shafts are aligned those are a pain to get to

Last edited:
After putting 4 of the misaligned axles correctly the before and after difference is noticable. A lot less jumping on throttle and off throttle. Motor should run better and i should have maybe a bit more top end speed and less noise when running hard. When i pull wheelies it felt like i was breaking something and it wasnt very easy to do. Nero is known to have massive torque. Something i don't feel much in the air. I blamed that on the +10 Total offset on my hexes.

I've Never thought about that..
A universal joint needing to be "in phase"...

I think I even seen that video before (at a glance) ,but didn't really click with me before....

Thank you for sharing it again.
Now I think I understand.
I'll have to make a mental note of this. 👍

Glad it's useful. This was a good question, because I had to research it to understand why.

I knew they needed to be in phase. I even remember in autoshop class, they told use to mark (index) the driveshaft when you take them out/apart. But I didn't realize they wouldn't turn at a constant velocity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back