Kraton Does thicker diff oil cause motors to overheat and seize?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestOz RC

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
Hi guys. Was just wondering if changing the diff oils (all 3) will stress the motor out, overheat it and eventually seize the motor after a few month.

Hi guys. Was just wondering if changing the diff oils (all 3) will stress the motor out, overheat it and eventually seize the motor after a few month.
Heat a little bit i will say because there is more diff resistance what makes a motor seize is the bearings a motor can run maybe for life if taken care oil the bearings with the appropriate lubricant don't try to use shock oil like i did blew 2 bearings and now i kinda feel stupid but horizon saved my butt. Idk if the motors are good but don't want to risk it until i can trully test them with a multimetter. Remplacing the front motor bearin on the pinion side with a sealed one of good quality to better protect the bearing from the elements than metal shielded does maintenance is key for long lasting motor
And you going from what weight to what?

Heat a little bit i will say because there is more diff resistance what makes a motor seize is the bearings a motor can run maybe for life if taken care oil the bearings with the appropriate lubricant don't try to use shock oil like i did blew 2 bearings and now i kinda feel stupid but horizon saved my butt. Idk if the motors are good but don't want to risk it until i can trully test them with a multimetter. Remplacing the front motor bearin on the pinion side with a sealed one of good quality to better protect the bearing from the elements than metal shielded does maintenance is key for long lasting motor
And you going from what weight to what?
Agreed, actually with good maintinence theirs little to kill a motor. The hottest I've seen guys get there motor is about 170s f. Hobbywing, and others like tekin say the only thing to really damage a motor is excess of 200° f, as it softens the epoxy in the kevlar holding the magnets on the rotor. Clean bearings, never use rubber shielded, and take it apart to blow out dust once every couple months. I have yet needed to even replace a motor bearing.

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like it is the front bearing. Was running it today after putting a new servo in it and it was at a sandy construction site. There were awesome sand jumps and the Kraton was going so well but I was hearing a small squealing sound but I thought it was wheel bearings. As I was in midair off a jump, it just locked up and didn’t move once it landed. Took it to the hobby shop and they are replacing it under warranty as it’s only 3mths old.
I do blow it clean after every run and sometimes I water blast it then dry with air. But I haven’t driven it for about 4 weeks so maybe a little rust may have built up in the front bearing.
So what the lube to spray on the front bearing. I have a lithium spay, will that be ok?

Agreed, actually with good maintinence theirs little to kill a motor. The hottest I've seen guys get there motor is about 170s f. Hobbywing, and others like tekin say the only thing to really damage a motor is excess of 200° f, as it softens the epoxy in the kevlar holding the magnets on the rotor. Clean bearings, never use rubber shielded, and take it apart to blow out dust once every couple months. I have yet needed to even replace a motor bearing.
I always use a rubber sealed (ceramic) front motor bearing and replace it once per year, works great!

Hobbywing uses rubber shealded bearings in their motors.

AliExpress, been using these for years for the BLX2050 in very dusty/sandy conditions, they never failed me:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32597506974.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dxPKBab
Thanks bud. I’ll check it out.
AliExpress, been using these for years for the BLX2050 in very dusty/sandy conditions, they never failed me:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32597506974.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dxPKBab
So it’s a 5x16x5 right?

Last edited:
Hobbywing uses rubber shealded bearings in their motors.
They do? I have never received a Hobbywing or any motor for that matter with a rubber sealed bearing in it.

Another thing that can kill a motor is over revving it ie spinning it too fast and staying at WOT for too long.

FWIW, I've never noticed a strain on the ESC and/or motor by running thicker fluid in the center diff. I think that is a common misconception.
Thanks Bickety. I watched you latest vid and man that 8s of yours is a beast. Nice build man. ??
They do? I have never received a Hobbywing or any motor for that matter with a rubber sealed bearing in it.

Another thing that can kill a motor is over revving it ie spinning it too fast and staying at WOT for too long.
I’m pretty sure you could be right there slick. I was attempting a backflip when it seized mid flight and it was flat out.

Thanks Bickety. I watched you latest vid and man that 8s of yours is a beast. Nice build man. ??

I’m pretty sure you could be right there slick. I was attempting a backflip when it seized mid flight and it was flat out.
I had a motor lock up mid backflip, both front and rear diffs were a total loss, internal gears broken, ring and pinions toasted and some of the pins in the diffs snapped. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back