Drilling carbon fiber towers out for M2C standoffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I know drilling new holes in carbon fiber requires special tools/setup to get it right. How hard is it to drill out holes on a carbon fiber tower for the M2C shock standoffs to fit? Special bit required? Drill press type setup needed?

I know drilling new holes in carbon fiber requires special tools/setup to get it right. How hard is it to drill out holes on a carbon fiber tower for the M2C shock standoffs to fit? Special bit required? Drill press type setup needed?
It is like drilling wood, you will be shocked how simple it is. Regular bits are fine.

The key is that this stuff produces a lot of dust and is hazardous to you like asbestos. Wear a Mask, Gloves, and glasses, and consider where the dust if falling... You might want to go drill this out in the yard somewhere.

Was going to drill it outside, I live in an apartment but have a nice extended private patio which is where I paint bodies. I use a box fan with an air filter taped over it to pull the overspray through and keep it from drifting into neighbors' apartments since a lot of windows are open this time of year.
20230629_084500.jpg

Would that type of setup work okay? Would still wear glove/glasses/mask of course, just thinking would be nice to capture and toss the filter when finished.

Was going to drill it outside, I live in an apartment but have a nice extended private patio which is where I paint bodies. I use a box fan with an air filter taped over it to pull the overspray through and keep it from drifting into neighbors' apartments since a lot of windows are open this time of year.
View attachment 308489

Would that type of setup work okay? Would still wear glove/glasses/mask of course, just thinking would be nice to capture and toss the filter when finished.

Seems legit to me. Now if you don't like the neighbors then ditch the filter :LOL:

View attachment 308489

That looks functional.

I'd suggest NOT poking a hole in the filter medium to pull the power cord through next time.. Instead just tuck it down and around the the filter. 🤓🤘

View attachment 308489

I'll add that the dust from drilling generally stays put and won't just blow away, but overall its always good to be safe with this stuff.

Not sure on the filter, but for my shop vac I purchased a heppa filter to be extra safe.

I use a lower rated filter for paint. I looked it up and cf dust is 6-10 microns so I'll grab a MERV14 filter since it gets 95%+ of particles larger than 3 microns. And yes, definitely better off not pulling the cord through to leave an opening for carbon fiber dust to just get blown out the other side.👍

Never used filters, but doing it outside. Consider all the carbon fiber break pads in use on the road, not an issue. Still, I wouldn't breeze it in directly, Normal drill, hand or press, whatever you have handy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back