ESC cooling fan: 5V fan on 7.4V BEC ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActionJackson

Reaction score
My HW max5 ESC stock fan broke fins off right away when bashing. It’s BEC is set to 7.4V for the servo needs. I tried an 12V brushless fan but it spins so slow at 7.4V that I don’t think it’ll cool much.

Can I run a 5V brushless cooling fan on my 7.4V ESC BEC pins safely? It started up just fine but I’m wondering if it’ll last under that 48% higher voltage input of 7.4V?

Thanks!

My HW max5 ESC stock fan broke fins off right away when bashing. It’s BEC is set to 7.4V for the servo needs. I tried an 12V brushless fan but it spins so slow at 7.4V that I don’t think it’ll cool much.

Can I run a 5V brushless cooling fan on my 7.4V ESC BEC pins safely? It started up just fine but I’m wondering if it’ll last under that 48% higher voltage input of 7.4V?

Thanks!
Why don't you just get a 7.4v fan!?

You should be able to turn down the voltage of the BEC in the ESC settings no? To atleast 6v.

Running higher voltage on the fan is like running higher voltage on an RC motor. There is little issue with the electrics, more of an issue with the motor spinning faster than it's designed too. Same applies with these fans.

Worst case scenario is that it spins faster than it's designed to and fails faster. I would feel more than comfortable running the BEC at 6v and then using the 5v fan. Then, order a cheapo 7.4v replacement fan direct from china, and you'll have the replacement eventually.

Thanks guys,

Cant find a 7.4V 60x60mm fan unfortunately…

And the 65kg servo works much better in my heavy 1/5 beast at 7.4V BEC over just 6V.

The fans are cheap (4 for $20) so I’ll just give it a go and see how long it lasts! … fan only runs for 15 minutes max in my RC and is designed to be continuously ON while cooling a computer tower so maybe the extra voltage stress for short durations is a fair trade-off.

Thanks guys,

Cant find a 7.4V 60x60mm fan unfortunately…

And the 65kg servo works much better in my heavy 1/5 beast at 7.4V BEC over just 6V.

The fans are cheap (4 for $20) so I’ll just give it a go and see how long it lasts! … fan only runs for 15 minutes max in my RC and is designed to be continuously ON while cooling a computer tower so maybe the extra voltage stress for short durations is a fair trade-off.
Been my fan of choice so much, so I had fans running off a small 3S lipo. I stopped and started using these...amazing air blow:
https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...l-40mm-high-speed-rc-fan-8-volt-plug-and-play

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back