Sevo & ESC BEC question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Picked up a Losi DBXL-E 2.0 a few hours ago

I am keeping the stock ESC Firma 160A it has two BEC options. 6v and 8.4v. The servo I am looking to upgrade:
https://www.powerhobby.com/701mg.html

The PowerHobby 701 servo has a max 7.4v setting.

If I have no 7.4v ESC setting on the Firma 160A. Will the servo operate at it's max meaning 7.4v with a 8.4v ESC setting or just default to 6v?

Or do I need an ESC that gives an option for 7.4v setting for BEC?

It will work on what the BEC voltage is set to, so 8.4v. which will probably work for a little bit until the servo will burn out.

You can choose 6v on the ESC which will make the servo work on 6v which is safe, but you wont get the top torque/speed of that servo

It will work on what the BEC voltage is set to, so 8.4v. which will probably work for a little bit until the servo will burn out.

You can choose 6v on the ESC which will make the servo work on 6v which is safe, but you wont get the top torque/speed of that servo
Kind of feedback I looking for. Thx

That servo operates best at 7.4V but the Firma 160 can’t deliver 7.4V.

I would choose a different servo if you plan to keep that ESC long-term, so that you can use 8.4V.

That servo operates best at 7.4V but the Firma 160 can’t deliver 7.4V.

I would choose a different servo if you plan to keep that ESC long-term, so that you can use 8.4V.

It seems when I research most large servo like the Powerhobby, Hitec and are prices well with about the max voltage they provide is at 7.4v. Some that cost an arm and leg with 8.4v cost too much, but I think those I have seen giving 950oz at 7.4v would be good enough.

Adding the fact I will have 40mm fans on the motor and ESC would it be wise to push that much voltage to the ESC at 8.4v when 7.4v would work.

I do not want another ESC but seems to be the direction... 🤷‍♂️

Neither. The servo receives the voltage you set for your bec.
So as stated above since ESC has 6v and 8.4v.....with a servo 7.4v max

Setting the ESC to 8.4v is going to force 8.4v by what you are saying and burn up the servo?

Would an external bec be out of the question?
I forgot the specs on my high power servo, but that's the route I took to get more voltage.

I used a castle creations bec.

It seems when I research most large servo like the Powerhobby, Hitec and are prices well with about the max voltage they provide is at 7.4v. Some that cost an arm and leg with 8.4v cost too much, but I think those I have seen giving 950oz at 7.4v would be good enough.

Adding the fact I will have 40mm fans on the motor and ESC would it be wise to push that much voltage to the ESC at 8.4v when 7.4v would work.

I do not want another ESC but seems to be the direction... 🤷‍♂️
An external BEC could work. Then you could choose whatever voltage you want. Just make sure to get one that can handle 8S input.

I will say this though - the weak point on the DBXL is the ESC. That Firma 160 (Max6 clone) is made for 20 pound RCs and is in over its head with the DBXL. That’s why the car was geared so slow from the factory. The stock motor is solid though.

Buying a Max5 G2 or XLX2 would fix your servo problem and also allow you to gear up the stock motor. It really wakes up the car.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I’ve been down this road and my DBXLE 2.0 is one of my favorite cars.

Back