ESC power cycling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWSRC

Cake Boss RC pit crew!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Nero
  5. Outcast 6s
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Typhon 3s
Ran my Bigrock last Saturday at the soccer field for about 5 min tops. Hit a couple of jumps and did a short burst up and down the field until it tumbled and died...sort of.
I noticed I lost response from the transmitter almost immediately. Figured the battery must've come loose. When I walked up to it, I could hear the fans cycling on and off. The ESC will flash once then turn off, then on repeatedly until I switched it off. I thought the battery was bad ( acquired used) , but I was wrong. Same battery worked fine in my Typhon. I tired a second battery with no luck.
Was thinking a broken wire but that doesn't seem to be the issue either.
I tried a search and found one topic on power cycling. Didn't see a clear answer in that old thread so I figured I ask here.

Is this a sign that my ESC is toast or is there something else that's causing the ESC to cycle like it is.

Try disconnecting both the receiver and the motor and see if it still does it. I think the ESCs shutdown if they detect excess load being drawn from the BEC, so a faulty receiver or servo might cause this.

I have never encountered this problem on here.. so u might be a first!! 😳
There have been a couple of occasions where this seems to be my cloud. 🤣
I've lost one receiver on my first build and on my used Typhon spektrum assembled a servo backwards.
Try disconnecting both the receiver and the motor and see if it still does it. I think the ESCs shutdown if they detect excess load being drawn from the BEC, so a faulty receiver or servo might cause this.
Been working 12 hr shifts for the last few days, so I didn't have time to check deeper.
Here's a preliminary:
-Motor disconnected, no change.
-Receiver and motor disconnected, power remains, but of course a constant red light burst ( no signal to rec).
- Servo removed from receiver w/ Thr input in; motor or not, connected it powers up fine.
-Reinstalled the OE S651 servo onto the receiver, and everything functions as it should.

Bottom line; the servo is causing this problem.
Well, that's a new one on me, this is the Amazon cheapo 25 kg full metal servo I upgraded to.
Thanks for the assist "Oops". <- wait a sec, did you do this on purpose.🤣

Hope this helps someone else down. The road.

16420176228747752042778372641251.jpg

16420176495664908884144212891249.jpg

Last edited:
Easy fix.. id loose those the adapters though, like yesterday!!😳
Thanks, wasnt sure if my thinking was right. I just grabbed this one for bench testing. I acquired two used batteries with my used Typhon, and am planning on swapping the Dean's for IC5's. 👍👍👍

16420395004428601485928150609284.jpg

Glad it's sorted. I discovered that they did this when I accidentally shorted the BEC on mine when fiddling with my light controller the other day :)

I'd whip the case off the servo and see if it's anything obvious. If it happened after an impact, it could just be a loose wire and an easy fix. Also worth checking for a short between servo wires with a multimeter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back