Kraton Everything just rusted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
So i got my max 8 ready to put on my kraton exb and.... whatever burned it was corrosive af
20230719_174854.jpg

Checked everything in the ultrasonic cleaner. Hopefully it removes it

This happened to a friend of mines car. He left it in the back of his truck and there must have been a lot of moisture in there with the shell closed up.
He had to go through all of the screws and all of the metal pieces. I can only imagine the electronics in the controller got wet also but there was no damage apparent damage there.

When my xlx2 burned up in my K8S it did the same thing. I just ordered a screw kit from Jenny’s and replaced as necessary. The driveshafts I went over with steel wool.

Lots of surface rust but nothing serious. Give it a good cleaning and check your bearings. Where I live the rainy season is 10 months long, rust mitigation is a way of life.

Just take it for a drive at the beach. Automatic sandblasting!!!

Did you use a fire extinguisher on it by chance. I remember having a fire on one of my 1:1 cars before and used a fire extinguisher and it caused oxidation on everything under the hood.

Most of it came out with the ultra sonic cleaner. My spur gear is all black now with spots of rust. I need to find a way to mount the max 8
This happened to a friend of mines car. He left it in the back of his truck and there must have been a lot of moisture in there with the shell closed up.
He had to go through all of the screws and all of the metal pieces. I can only imagine the electronics in the controller got wet also but there was no damage apparent damage there.
Mine sat on the shelf

Its back alive did a quick test run yeterday and it feel like im running the speed pinion. Lowered the punch to 2 might go to 1. Its pretty crazy. I felt a coear difference vs the blx 185. Its more agressive and just wants to go. Rust was removed in majority in the ultrasonic but its now black instead of orange. Sound is a bit louder now.
20230722_201850.jpg
20230722_201841.jpg
20230723_191415.jpg

I don't like how the max 8 wires are short. Im almost pulling on them

So they are rusting because you burned off the black oxide coating....

Once you burn off the coating there are a few things you can do to protect the metal from oxidizing... clean it well and keep it lubed with a film of oil is the easiest bet.
You can also get what they call cold bluing for fire arms and cold blue the pieces. This is what I recommend as its the best lasting option.

This is a link to the stuff on Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/Westlake-Mar...ocphy=1013962&hvtargid=pla-945179451045&psc=1

Google or YouTube the process. Not hard.

You can also do the black oxide coating yourself with heat. I'd only do this with the screw heads though as you don't want to change the temper of more important parts.
Simply heat the screw heads red hot with a mini torch and dip in dirty motor oil a couple times. They will come out with a new black coating that will be just like when they were new.
I do this a ton.. love it.

Last edited:
So they are rusting because you burned off the black oxide coating....

Once you burn off the coating there are a few things you can do to protect the metal from oxidizing... clean it well and keep it lubed with a film of oil is the easiest bet.
You can also get what they call cold bluing for fire arms and cold blue the pieces. This is what I recommend as its the best lasting option.

This is a link to the stuff on Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/Westlake-Mar...ocphy=1013962&hvtargid=pla-945179451045&psc=1

Google or YouTube the process. Not hard.

You can also do the black oxide coating yourself with heat. I'd only do this with the screw heads though as you don't want to change the temper of more important parts.
Simply heat the screw heads red hot with a mini torch and dip in dirty motor oil a couple times. They will come out with a new black coating that will be just like when they were new.
I do this a ton.. love it.
I have some metal parts without any black oxide. The spur Gear is bare metal. As long as you don't get it wet its good. Any metal in that matter. Thats why i never run on water

I have some metal parts without any black oxide. The spur Gear is bare metal. As long as you don't get it wet its good. Any metal in that matter. Thats why i never run on water

I'm not disputing that yours isn't. There are a lot of different processes to coat metal and many of them make it look bare but isn't.
I was more referring to parts such as dog bones and things that do indeed have a black oxide coating.

that's a bummer that you had to deal with that. My blx 6s (whatever number) burnt up also on my bench. I had plugged in a bec wrong and I was testing the stupid thing lol. I was wire brushing everything for 4 hours after. I used CRC Heavy Duty Silicone, sprayed everything down and it never came back. But I do have the black spots on my center gear like you mentioned but it's not hurting anything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back