Big Rock First 1/10 scale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rareteflon72

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hey Newbie here, just upgraded from a 1/18 scale project car to my first 1/10 scale off-road monster truck. I'm excited but don't want to go overboard with unnecessary upgrades on it. I'm taking suggestions on the most beneficial and top upgrades. I have a Big Rock 3s for my entry point.

IMG_20201002_145051750.jpg

IMG_20201002_145036435.jpg

IMG_20201002_145019201.jpg

Nothing really that you "need" to upgrade, a faster servo is always nice, just note that with it you'll need to replace the black servo horn/saver to the red version, that uses the standard 25t spline (part AR340151)

Only thing i'll do is seal the power module, otherwise you'll need to open it for cleaning after every run (that is not asphalt)

Drive it till it breaks...imo first mod would be mx28 badlands with 1/2inch backspacing..widen truck even more an save that beautiful BLACK BODY some.you will need tires anyway down the road.

25KG servo is one of many things. RPM A-Arms. Or you could just drive it until something breaks then upgrade that part.
25KG servo is one of many things. RPM A-Arms. Or you could just drive it until something breaks then upgrade that part.
Thank you, I was thinking along the lines of waiting for something breaks and then upgrade but I will definitely upgrade the A- Arms. I was wanting to upgrade the steering and maybe gears then move to electronics. Which servo do you recommend?
Nothing really that you "need" to upgrade, a faster servo is always nice, just note that with it you'll need to replace the black servo horn/saver to the red version, that uses the standard 25t spline (part AR340151)

Only thing i'll do is seal the power module, otherwise you'll need to open it for cleaning after every run (that is not asphalt)
Yes that would be awesome less cleanup and more playtime.
Black on Black on Black -Sweet!
Definely loving the blk on blk and rugged look.

Last edited:
I found the steering linkage to have too much play in my Granite, so i upgraded to aluminum steering linkage. Just got the GPM stuff from eBay. Now high speed on pavement is not an issue.
I bash at my local skate park, have not broken a part yet, but having the RPM arms ready would def be a good thing when the stock ones break. I found the nylon parts to be very forgiving so far and i have only been jumping 10-15 feet high and landing on pavement.

I found the steering linkage to have too much play in my Granite, so i upgraded to aluminum steering linkage. Just got the GPM stuff from eBay. Now high speed on pavement is not an issue.
I bash at my local skate park, have not broken a part yet, but having the RPM arms ready would def be a good thing when the stock ones break. I found the nylon parts to be very forgiving so far and i have only been jumping 10-15 feet high and landing on pavement.
Great suggestion I've noticed the steering on high-speed runs on pavement, I've never tried full throttle yet because of that also because of my driving skills lol

Try turning steering rate down on high speed pavement,when you feel more confident about control,turn the punch up to 5.POW-POW

Thank you, I was thinking along the lines of waiting for something breaks and then upgrade but I will definitely upgrade the A- Arms. I was wanting to upgrade the steering and maybe gears then move to electronics. Which servo do you recommend?

Yes that would be awesome less cleanup and more playtime.

Definely loving the blk on blk and rugged look.
Ds3225 25kg servo.

Hey Newbie here, just upgraded from a 1/18 scale project car to my first 1/10 scale off-road monster truck. I'm excited but don't want to go overboard with unnecessary upgrades on it. I'm taking suggestions on the most beneficial and top upgrades. I have a Big Rock 3s for my entry point.

View attachment 103091

View attachment 103092

View attachment 103093

Welcome

Lots of good suggestions....drive it and enjoy it. This new round of Arrma is a lot free of needed upgrades out the box like the others. I added wider tires since I had some spares and put a hole at the bottom of the power module. If you check and clean it after 2-3 runs you will be fine on the power module...

Enjoy!

Like parcou said the v3 trucks eliminated some of the immediate upgrades like sealed bearings and tx/rx (be glad you never experienced the stx2). I’d have a servo, rpm arms, and a sealed bearing set(Even with sealed from arrma now) and you’ll be ready. Those 3 things will all eventually fail if you’re driving frequent and hard enough. A set of turnbuckle/rod ends wouldn’t hurt either. Cheap insurance to not stop your day of rc for a 15cent part. You've got a sweet ride, welcome to the forum!

Like parcou said the v3 trucks eliminated some of the immediate upgrades like sealed bearings and tx/rx (be glad you never experienced the stx2). I’d have a servo, rpm arms, and a sealed bearing set(Even with sealed from arrma now) and you’ll be ready. Those 3 things will all eventually fail if you’re driving frequent and hard enough. A set of turnbuckle/rod ends wouldn’t hurt either. Cheap insurance to not stop your day of rc for a 15cent part. You've got a sweet ride, welcome to the forum!
I have a flysky gt3 transmitter I am putting in it so I'll be ready for my future 4s. But I must say I like the feel of the stock controller.
It rocks so far.... No complaints. Thanks alot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back