Typhon First Charge! Settings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinRush_C1

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Okay. I think I’m ready to charge the batteries. In this post, I will focus on 2 questions. First, I want to be sure I balance charge these Lipos correctly. My batteries are 6S from PowerHobby. It says 50C on the battery. That would means that it can charge at the maximum rate of 5amps? However, I want to go low and slow, nice and safe. What would you recommend? I’m not sure yet how I will know when they are full. I don’t like my chargers interface. I’m switching to HTRC T240 in a couple days.

P.S: I had to purchase adaptors to connect from EC5 to the whatmacallit red adaptors from the old days. I can’t remember the name right now.

Next question. I’m not sure how to use the “bind key” that came with my Typhon 6S. I want to make sure I setup the remote control properly. I bought the best batteries money can buy for that. Those are easy to charge because I have one of those smart chargers for those.

This is my first charge on these batteries. Hopefully, I can power up this Typhon today for the very first time. I got my video camera charged and ready. Tripod? CHECK!

I’m using individual Lipo bags, that will go into another Lipo carrying bag. I also got a fireproof Sentry box for transport. Hopefully that will add 3 layers of protection. I made sure to get fireproof gloves should the car blow up in the field. I will be able to physical pick up the vehicle and isolate it.

Do I have everything I need?

0CFC17FA-EEB9-4CBF-9653-10767AEBE6FB.jpeg
E84D12D1-6DEC-4F47-B47A-72FC4817B33E.jpeg
A5F7D285-EB66-4A04-9EF1-D7E389F2B895.jpeg
D98B0A75-19B8-4F2D-BC8E-38C14B45EBC3.jpeg
CEEB0AFB-3D92-4F04-A321-FC5F143AC43A.jpeg
71963324-9730-480D-AE49-40FAE47AAC5D.jpeg
F0A8654E-95CF-4879-9C21-07160812BDAE.jpeg
CA735054-F45B-43B9-828C-4536F84B35A7.jpeg
05BA6F4D-89B1-4F6D-BAC3-EABF3919508E.jpeg

You can set your charger to 5.2 amps for those 5200mah lipos. 5.0 amps will work also, no big difference. Those 50C lipos are ok but has nothing to do with charge rate! Gloves are overkill, not dealing with fentanyl, eye protection not needed but if it makes you feel safe go for it.

You can set your charger to 5.2 amps for those 5200mah lipos. 5.0 amps will work also, no big difference. Those 50C lipos are ok but has nothing to do with charge rate! Gloves are overkill, not dealing with fentanyl, eye protection not needed but if it makes you feel safe go for it.
Okay, I turned this thing on. Sitting right in front of it, not taking my eyes off it. Again, I’m doing a balance charge. I’m pretty sure my FULL is about 5200 mAh. Watching the status of the batteries carefully. I’m dual charging 2 of them right now.

Touching the batteries and wires, everything is cool to the touch. The blower on the charger is constant, no pauses, consistently blowing.

I’m guessing this is going to take about an hour. I wonder how long the batteries will hold this charge? I have to drive out to a location.

Also, I’m thinking to taking this HTRC C240 charger with me on site. I have a Jackery 700 that might be able to power this unit and transfer power.

What do you think of these numbers on the screen?
CE48A9FF-3C72-4A24-9F51-72AADC73E1EA.jpeg
8F118F0C-604E-49F4-B343-86E095A620DC.jpeg
E05824AA-8ACB-4B1D-B22B-5376433FDAED.jpeg
#arrmadillo
#joostin420. Can you tell me about this feature? It’s called Capacity Shut Off. Can I adjust to specifically to my batteries ( 5200mAh )? If the capacity shut off is set at 8000 where it is right now, does that mean this thing will just keep on charging until it sees 8000? House burn down?

Last edited:
I for one cant wait to hear how your maiden voyage goes. :)
looks like you are well on your way from driving pretty soon. :)
have fun man, and take it slow. no need to go full throttle right off the get go. lol
Im glad you will be taking video. :)

Okay, I turned this thing on. Sitting right in front of it, not taking my eyes off it. Again, I’m doing a balance charge. I’m pretty sure my FULL is about 5200 mAh. Watching the status of the batteries carefully. I’m dual charging 2 of them right now.

Touching the batteries and wires, everything is cool to the touch. The blower on the charger is constant, no pauses, consistently blowing.

I’m guessing this is going to take about an hour. I wonder how long the batteries will hold this charge? I have to drive out to a location.

Also, I’m thinking to taking this HTRC C240 charger with me on site. I have a Jackery 700 that might be able to power this unit and transfer power.

What do you think of these numbers on the screen?View attachment 58530View attachment 58531View attachment 58532 #arrmadillo
Numbers look good, when they peak (fully charge) charger will stop charging on its own. It will usually beep. They will stay fully charged for days, but don't leave them fully charged for more than a day. Charge as close to run time, if you charge and don't run the same day, discharge to storage mode 3.8 volts per cell.

I know its you 1st time charging, right, don't have to baby sit charger. You're charging at 1C, very safe. You don't need gloves to charge and really don't need eye protection, but if eye protection makes you feel safe, good. Don't overthink lipos they're pretty safe as long as you charge correctly. Your truck will not blow up or catch fire but if you have gloves, ok. I been charging lipos 15 years and not one single mishap.

Numbers look good, when they peak (fully charge) charger will stop charging on its own. It will usually beep. They will stay fully charged for days, but don't leave them fully charged for more than a day. Charge as close to run time, if you charge and don't run the same day, discharge to storage mode 3.8 volts per cell.

I know its you 1st time charging, right, don't have to baby sit charger. You're charging at 1C, very safe. You don't need gloves to charge and really don't need eye protection, but if eye protection makes you feel safe, good. Don't overthink lipos they're pretty safe as long as you charge correctly. Your truck will not blow up or catch fire but if you have gloves, ok. I been charging lipos 15 years and not one single mishap.
UPDATE! Channel 1 battery indicates FULL. Looks like it finished off at 4200mV. Batteries are all still cool to the touch. I thought it would go all the way to 5200 as it says on the battery. The HTRC C240 fan has stopped blowing but it’s still charging Channel 2. Oh there goes the fan again. One of the cells looks way out of balance. I’ll take another picture. It’s so much lower than the other cells. Please have a look.
EF5AAFDE-C833-4A2E-8176-294C9F763C2D.jpeg
F7468AA6-03CE-4BDB-9285-49311AB3BAB4.jpeg

do you have a balance only setting on that charger?
it could slowly charge/discharge the cells until they are in balance.

Cell #5 seems reluctant to charge past 4068. Not sure what’s happening with that cell.

Channel 1 seems decent. The numbers don’t look perfect but for the most part they are within 10 points of each other.

The major concern I have is Channel 2 with Cell #5. That’s over a 100 points off compared to the other batteries.

Did I get a lemon battery from PowerHobby?
3B0B5623-D599-4CF6-AD53-35AE5B6DCA4C.jpeg

did you happen to take note if what each cell was when you first got them?
I don’t understand the question there. So probably not. It’s a brand new battery. I’m going to stop the charging process and see if this device has balance only setting. Lemme try.

when I get a new battery, I plug it into my charger and just look at what each cell is at.
I do this to make sure it was in storage mode, and that the cells are all within an acceptable number.
If I see any discrepancies, I would contact the seller or where I got it and start asking questions.

I think if your charger has a balance only option, you could run that and get all cells balanced, and you will want to keep an eye on that battery for differences. if the next charge cycle does the same, I would think about trying to return it as that cell could be causing issues.

Okay, here’s another update. If the numbers look good, I’ll go out and try them in the car. I’ve got 2 batteries. I’m ready to try this thing.
9424307D-E935-4465-AB7A-67920DE22F7B.jpeg
9424307D-E935-4465-AB7A-67920DE22F7B.jpeg

PANIC. THE BATTERY STARTED SHAKING! I shut off all power. WTF!1111
when I get a new battery, I plug it into my charger and just look at what each cell is at.
I do this to make sure it was in storage mode, and that the cells are all within an acceptable number.
If I see any discrepancies, I would contact the seller or where I got it and start asking questions.

I think if your charger has a balance only option, you could run that and get all cells balanced, and you will want to keep an eye on that battery for differences. if the next charge cycle does the same, I would think about trying to return it as that cell could be causing issues.
BRO! THE BATTERY STARTED SHAKING. I KILLED THE POWER ON THE CHARGER AND PULLED THE PLUG. I STARTED TO SMELL SOMETHING LIKE WHEN I WAS SOLDERING. IT’S JUST SITTING THERE NOW. I FREAKED OUT WHEN IT STARTED MOVING.

Last edited:

#Arrmadillo. My blood pressure and stress levels skyrocketed! I’ve never seen a battery start moving. It was like it was coming alive. I panicked. I thought it was about to blow up in my face there. I killed that power in a heartbeat, pulled the plug and smashed off the circuit breakers.

Good news is the Lipo is back in a bag and in my bomb-proof firebox. Has that ever happened to you before? The battery shaking while charging?

It looked like one of those walking robots with the windup in the back. Lawd Jeezus, not today!
FF028230-C0B3-458F-A982-F4E8C1708D57.jpeg

what were you doing when the battery started moving and shaking?
charging, discharging, balancing?

Ive never seen or heard of a battery moving around on its own.
I think I would freak out too.

Did the battery puff up?? This seriously hurts my brain. I’m sorry your first charging experience went like this.. I can tell you were nervous to begin with.

Also, that other battery taking in 4200mah is about right. They’re never completely dead, it was already a little charged before u got it... perfectly normal.

Did the battery puff up?? This seriously hurts my brain. I’m sorry your first charging experience went like this.. I can tell you were nervous to begin with.

I concur. Ive been following along Mr @SpinRush_C1, adventure since his first post. its been enjoyable to watch him get into the hobby and learn along the way.

Im dumbfounded as to what could have caused the battery to move. or what could have happened.
This is not a common charging experience by any means.

Like @Peeeenuuutt said, does the battery appear puffed at all compared to the other one?

Can you smell the charger and see if the smell you smelled appears to be coming from there?

When you open the safe again, see if you smell the smell again.

If this happened to me I would’ve been like “it’s alive... it’s, aliveeee!!!” because all my stuff is charged on non flammable stuff so no damage would be done if I decided to go south LOL.

makes me rethink my charging style with no lipo bags.
Im that complacent guy that has never seen or heard first hand of bad lipo experiences.
Ive charged lipos thousands of times. lol

<-------- goes to order some lipo bags

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back