Fix-a-shell, bashing approved

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterRC

Reaction score
I searched there are way too many shell posts lol…
So I had these done…anyone else tried it?
BASHING APPROVED LINE-X

image.jpg

So I actually did this as well with my local LineX place recently. I bought some new bodies and had them spray the inside to maintain the paint/graphics on the exterior. I’ve been meaning to take a picture and post about it, but have been busy. I had the shop put LineX on a Senton, Granite, and Losi Mini-T 2.0 bodies.

The bodies are heavy now, but also solid - there’s very little flex in them. The shop also sprayed it on thick, while I haven’t measured it, I’d say the coating is 4-5mm thick in most places.

I need to cut out/dremel the material away from the body mount post holes so I can actually get the posts through the body to clip them on. I’ve taped them up and traced out where I need to remove material, but haven’t started the excavation yet.

Cost me $120 for all 3 bodies. The guy who runs the shop told me his people were fighting over who got to do this special project because they all thought it was pretty cool.

With LineX:
Senton - 1501 Grams
Granite - 571 Grams
Mini-T 2.0 - 148 Grams (No Wing)

Without LineX:
Senton - 216 Grams
Granite - 110 Grams
Mini-T 2.0 - 27 Grams (Unpainted w/Protective Film, No Wing)

The with LineX include a little bit of tape for marking where I need to remove material so I can fit them to the cars properly. Once the tape and extra material have been removed, the weights of course will be slightly less.

The without LineX for the Arrma bodies take with a grain of salt as they are dirty and the Senton body is cracked all over and missing some small bits. The Granite body is just dirty but fully intact. Maybe someone with clean and fresh bodies can provide better numbers.

Both measurements do not include the body clips & body clip rubber retainers.

Wow, those are extremely heavy bodies now:giggle:.

Update to all the questions…
I had these old shells laying around.. linex is the neighboring shop to mine so we thought we’d try it.
I’m not sure how thick it is but yes they are heavy now. I’ll try and weigh them in the next day or so. They are still flexible.
The bodies were broken and cracked so I taped them up and then sprayed them lineX

So I actually did this as well with my local LineX place recently. I bought some new bodies and had them spray the inside to maintain the paint/graphics on the exterior. I’ve been meaning to take a picture and post about it, but have been busy. I had the shop put LineX on a Senton, Granite, and Losi Mini-T 2.0 bodies.

The bodies are heavy now, but also solid - there’s very little flex in them. The shop also sprayed it on thick, while I haven’t measured it, I’d say the coating is 4-5mm thick in most places.

I need to cut out/dremel the material away from the body mount post holes so I can actually get the posts through the body to clip them on. I’ve taped them up and traced out where I need to remove material, but haven’t started the excavation yet.

Cost me $120 for all 3 bodies. The guy who runs the shop told me his people were fighting over who got to do this special project because they all thought it was pretty cool.
My line x guy is cooler than yours, he didn’t charge me anything.
My line x guy is cooler than yours, he didn’t charge me anything.
Lol jk, no but seriously he was just wanting to try it… so he hooked them up

Last edited:
I've posted this a few times, but someone already did all the hard work for everyone.
https://www.rctech.net/forum/painti...tection-bashers-long-article-many-photos.html

TLDR

"WAS THERE A CLEAR WINNER?

For me, yes! “Test Number 8: Drywall mesh first, then Shoe Goo. Allow to dry, then spray with 3M rubberized undercoating.”
It is relatively easy to apply and provides a tremendous amount of body reinforcement. However, there were several close contenders. Each of the contenders would work for most people. The type of rig you drive and how you drive it may affect the method of surface protection that you choose. Your decision may also be affected by how much time and money you are willing to spend on the materials and application. More about that later."

I've posted this a few times, but someone already did all the hard work for everyone.
https://www.rctech.net/forum/painti...tection-bashers-long-article-many-photos.html

TLDR

"WAS THERE A CLEAR WINNER?

For me, yes! “Test Number 8: Drywall mesh first, then Shoe Goo. Allow to dry, then spray with 3M rubberized undercoating.”
It is relatively easy to apply and provides a tremendous amount of body reinforcement. However, there were several close contenders. Each of the contenders would work for most people. The type of rig you drive and how you drive it may affect the method of surface protection that you choose. Your decision may also be affected by how much time and money you are willing to spend on the materials and application. More about that later."

I've seen this thread before. I have another Granite body where I started doing the Shoe Goo/Drywall tape method. I got halfway done with the body and gave up. I found it to be a huge pain and time consuming. It definitely was not enjoyable for me. One day I may go back and finish what I started.

Having the bodies sprayed with Line X is more of an experiment for me. If the bodies don't last any longer, I won't do it again as it wouldn't be worth the cost. We'll see how they hold up once I start bashing again this year. The weather is finally starting to get warm again here in the Chicagoland area.

I had the same place that sprayed my R/C bodies also spray my 1:1 truck bed last year. My truck bed has the rough texture you’d typically expect, just like what appears to be on the exterior of your R/C bodies. My R/C bodies however have no such texture, it’s just smooth.

Update - A couple weekends ago, I finally had a chance to run my Senton body with the ultra thick Line X coating. With how heavy the body is, it of course made the truck super top heavy and the amount of body roll is insane.

When the truck is going in a straight line on something relatively flat, no problems. As soon as it turns at any speed above "slow", it rolls over. Even making a 180* turn at a slow speed causes the rear inner wheel to lift off the ground.

Despite the heavy body, I was able to get the truck to do wheelies when going 3/4 to full throttle from a standstill (3S, on asphalt with new Pro-Line Trencher tires).

I haven't had a chance yet to carve out space for the body mount posts on the Granite or Mini-T body, so no updates on those.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back