FYI........... Do So At Your Own Risk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re going to post on the thread, stick to the topic at hand or jog on.
You can keep your psychological jargon to yourself……….. no need for it on an RC car forum.
You’re an aggressive little fella with a huge ego aren't ya? Maybe try decaf.
Thanks for starting my day with a laugh.

Dude, try to not bash on folks for no reason and someone won’t test your nerves. That’s a good life hint. So long.

You’re an aggressive little fella with a huge ego aren't ya? Maybe try decaf.
Thanks for starting my day with a laugh.

Dude, try to not bash on folks for no reason and someone won’t test your nerves. That’s a good life hint. So long.
LiPo batteries remember 🤷‍♂️

I think if I had to do this to bring one cell up, I'd figure out the 2 pins on the balance port that are for that one cell, then charge only it via my old MRC 959 charger .5A or so since it can handle one cell NiMH. Once the voltage was up on par with the other cells, I'd cycle it on my balance charger down to 3.4V, then full charge and see how it reacted.

Hi all, been reading this thread and although not identically related, thought I’d reach out with my issue.

my overlander 2s lipo, hard case has stopped balance charging. Its less than 6 months old Max. Have SkyRC t100 dule charger, same age. I’ve swooped charging ports and balance cables around so fully narrowed down to the battery. Charger states ‘balance cable not connected’ when set to charge.

question: assuming this is a loose balance cable connection within the battery, can these hard cases be opened up and can the connection be re-soldered?

or; can the battery be returned in this hobby?
You can, but it can be a pain and mildly dangerous to do. The cases are either ultrasonically welded or glued, so you pretty much have to cut the outer shell somehow. I've done it to many packs using a dremel and patience. I use a cut off wheel with light pressure and work my way around the seam. I grind, then blow the dust away, then grind, blow, etc until I see the silver pack skin underneath. Very light pressure and relatively low RPM lowers the risk of cutting into the pack.

SMC packs then have double sided tape in them adhering the cells to the packs, so you have to pull pretty hard to get the case to separate. I don't know if other MFR's do the same thing. Then there is usually some polyimide tape covering the solder joints that you have to peal back/remove and foam spacers supporting the tabs of the cells so they don't flex due to vibration. I remove all of that before soldering anything.

Then if need be, remove the old balance tap completely and just put a new one on. Odds are, if one lead is damaged, they are all strained due to the copper work hardening due to flexing over time, so just fixing the one that's damaged will get you by for the short term, but you will likely be back in there to fix others later. May as well start with a new set of wires and plug while your there the first time.

I've had many apart to build 3S packs out of old 2S packs (all matched cells/packs that I used in pairs previously) or 4S packs out of old 3S packs (same matched pairs of packs I used together previously).

These were my latest that I made out of 3S hobbystar 6200mah 50C packs to build a couple 4S packs for my slashpede that I now also use in my maxx 4s:
2020-1127-4S-BuiltWaitingForBalancePlug.jpg

2020-1127-Hobbystar6200mah-4S-BuiltFrom3S.jpg

Then I just use thin cardboard around the packs (like a soda can or cereal box) and fiber tape to wrap the entire thing.
2020-1127-Hobbystar6200mah-4S-ohms.jpg

I screwed up when building these. I had the cells all labeled, but the "permanent" marker didn't stay on the cells after I labeled them, so I ended up with the IR a bit mismatched. Stupid marker...

Cheers Kla & JK...if I manage a repair I’ll take a pic and post what I did but no doubt I will pussy out and get a new one...!!

just sucks as it’s only had say 20 cycles 😡

read a lot on hard V’s soft case and consensus was hard if your jumping/ bashing then soft if racing due to abuse levels. Do you guys have different opinions?

sorry....not trying to trash the original thread here!
Ok - so I didn’t open up the case…! As the battery was only a few months old I contacted my LHS and they replaced instantly - Modelsport here in the UK are awesome 👏🏻

good to read this chain though and thanks for your advice…!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back