Vorteks Gearing down Arrma Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
Hi all!
I am getting some chunky off road tires (5") to replace the stock, smaller tires on my vorteks and I was looking for opinions on gearing down with a smaller pinion. Stock is 18t, I was thinking maybe 15/16? I don't want to go any faster, maybe marginally slower if not possible to keep the speed the same. Excited to get back on the road once I get my new tires!

Try 2 teeth down in size. (n) Maybe 14T and 16T is a start.??? Good to always have a range of spare Pinions on hand to dial it just right. Get a set of pinions in the range you anticipate. Your main concern would be Motor and ESC temps. Get a temp gun if you don't already have one. This will guide you best.
If you use/ learn a speed gear calculator, you could get a rough Aproximation.
Using the new "tires rollout" in Milimeters as a guide to the change in the final drive ratio.
Ideally you want the final drive ratio to remain the same as stock. With all the extra traction of the new tires, you may even need to adjust the Slipper Clutch. Don't want to burn it up. The slipper should be just tight enough to prevent drive train damage/excess wear.
How I see it.
Good luck.:cool:

Last edited:
Try 2 teeth down in size. (n) Maybe 14T and 16T is a start.??? Good to always have a range of spare Pinions on hand to dial it just right. Get a set of pinions in the range you anticipate. Your main concern would be Motor and ESC temps. Get a temp gun if you don't already have one. This will guide you best.
If you use/ learn a speed gear calculator, you could get a rough Aproximation.
Using the new "tires rollout" as a guide to the change in the final drive ratio.
Ideally you want the final drive to remain the same as stock. With all the extra traction of the new tires, you may even need to adjust the Slipper Clutch. Don't want to burn it up. The slipper should be just tight enough to prevent drive train damage/excess wear.
How I see it.
Good luck.:cool:
Thanks for the info! Will a smaller pinion make it run hotter or colder? I thought colder which is why I wanted to put it in as it’s gonna be tough on the motor to put on the big tires

Bigger tires will gear the car up and a smaller pinion will gear the car down, so bigger tires will make the car run hotter and a smaller pinion will make the car run colder so if you get the gear ratios right the car should run at about the same temperature.

Thanks for the info! Will a smaller pinion make it run hotter or colder? I thought colder which is why I wanted to put it in as it’s gonna be tough on the motor to put on the big tires
I did answer your question above. And how to check for temperature's. Your guide to getting the right Pinion. A good motor fan is always a given

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back