Mojave Gearing for 8s motor on 6s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireDrake001

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
I put my spare stock XMaxx motor in my Mojave. I’m wondering what gearing should I do? It’ll only be running 6s.

I put my spare stock XMaxx motor in my Mojave. I’m wondering what gearing should I do? It’ll only be running 6s.

You're going to rip the tires right off the rims..

That's a 1275kv motor, it's really similar in power to the 1260kv Castle motor, you can safely start at 19 or 20 on the pinion... starts to get really fast at the 22-25 range, that's actually a pretty good motor imo

That's a 1275kv motor, it's really similar in power to the 1260kv Castle motor, you can safely start at 19 or 20 on the pinion... starts to get really fast at the 22-25 range, that's actually a pretty good motor imo
Ok. The other guy said the tires won’t handle it. I’m not looking for anything above the rtr performance. I already have a 18 tooth in it. I was only gonna run it ever on 6s

Ok. The other guy said the tires won’t handle it. I’m not looking for anything above the rtr performance. I already have a 18 tooth in it. I was only gonna run it ever on 6s
The tires will hold... give the glue a quick check, tape over the vent holes in the wheels, and vent the tires in 2 spots 180° apart... then beat that thing like it owes you money

Gearing: Standard Mojave gearing is matched with a 2050kv motor on 6S (max 50k rpm) a 1275kv motor will do max 31k rpm on 6S, so the top end will be much lower. DLK83's suggestion for a 19T-20T pinion sounds like a solid suggestion to counter the lowered top end.

Power: An 8S or 6S capable motor does not necesairy say much about power. Size / weight / production quality determines how much power a motor can give before it oversaturates (power goes to heat). In your case there is a big difference though
xmaxx motor: 665g 4885
Mojave motor: 400gr 4074
The much bigger xmaxx motor will have more torque. Will do the same accelleration will less effort (& less heat) and will be able to do more with the same available power. But it's wind for a higher voltage so it will not draw much power unless geared much higher. Batteries and the esc will also limit ampdraw, as well as your triggerfinger.

So yes it will be more punchy with the compensated gearing. The drivetrain will be able to cope with it, but might wear a little faster. Wise to double check the diffs and their shimming.
You control the throttle. Squeez and you might indeed rip the tires... (i think you won't but, it's on the limit) So test it causiously first by not squeezing it directly. If too much, dial back your punch settings and your throttle end point(if possible). Counterintuitively as it sounds, it could even help to gear up more. Acceleration is the enemy, not topspeed. And the esc will stop excessive ampdraw (amp limit or LVC)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back