General Cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmAh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
  2. Typhon 3s
Hey Guys,
New to the hobby and I bought a bunch of parts for my new Typhon 3s and just waiting on delivery. I've been bashing it in dirt and grass so its getting quite dirty. I plan on cleaning everything when i take it apart to put my mods on and was wondering what type of solution i should be using for cleaning gears and the body?

Thanks

Hey Guys,
New to the hobby and I bought a bunch of parts for my new Typhon 3s and just waiting on delivery. I've been bashing it in dirt and grass so its getting quite dirty. I plan on cleaning everything when i take it apart to put my mods on and was wondering what type of solution i should be using for cleaning gears and the body?

Thanks
I soak my diffs in brake cleaner but you could use isopropyl alcohol or most any plastic safe solvent. Might have to soak them for 10 mins or so to get the books and crannies. Swish them around in a cup a few times while soaking to agitate.

I soak my diffs in brake cleaner but you could use isopropyl alcohol or most any plastic safe solvent. Might have to soak them for 10 mins or so to get the books and crannies. Swish them around in a cup a few times while soaking to agitate.
I've had good luck with NAPTHA. Put your diff parts in a tea infuser like this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainles...16179?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18988, stick them in a jar and add some NAPTHA then let them soak for like 5-10 minutes and give them a good sloshing around and all that crap comes right off and it doesn't harm plastics or anything. You can find it with the paint thinner and stuff at pretty much any hardware store.

I've had good luck with NAPTHA. Put your diff parts in a tea infuser like this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainles...16179?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18988, stick them in a jar and add some NAPTHA then let them soak for like 5-10 minutes and give them a good sloshing around and all that crap comes right off.
Haven’t tried it because I have a whole case of brake cleaner already but might try that when I run out. I know naphtha can be bought in a jug so it’s possibly less expensive.

Haven’t tried it because I have a whole case of brake cleaner already but might try that when I run out. I know naphtha can be bought in a jug so it’s possibly less expensive.
Idk I think it was like $8 for the thing and it depends on where you buy it, some places sell it for $6 some it's like $8.
And I misspelled that it is NAPHTHA not NAPTHA.

Idk I think it was like $8 for the thing and it depends on where you buy it, some places sell it for $6 some it's like $8.
And I misspelled that it is NAPHTHA not NAPTHA.
I was lucky that autocorrect knew how to spell it ???

Chlorinated brake cleaner seems to work best for cleaning metal gears of diff oil fast. Non chlorinated Brake cleaner takes longer. Wally world, $2. a can. Chlorinated brake cleaner can be bad for certain plastics and Lexan. Be warned.
Body, I just use dishwashing soap in the sink and rinse.
I blow off the chassis using an air compressor first before I start cleaning. I use a nylon paint brush while I blow it of the heavy stuff.
The rest of the chassis and tires, I wipe down with Simple Green. I spray on a microfiber, not directly to the chassis. I don't like any liquids near my drivetrain and bearings. It just pushes dirt into them.
I may blow off certain areas a second time. A paint brush is a required tool for RC cleaning. Cheap enough to have one in your tool box.

Chlorinated brake cleaner seems to work best for cleaning metal gears of diff oil fast. Non chlorinated Brake cleaner takes longer. Wally world, $2. a can. Chlorinated brake cleaner can be bad for certain plastics and Lexan. Be warned.
I blow off the chassis using an air compressor first before I start cleaning. I use a nylon paint brush while I blow it of the heavy stuff.
The rest of the chassis and tires, I wipe down with Simple Green. I spray on a microfiber, not directly to the chassis. I don't like any liquids near my drivetrain and bearings. It just pushes dirt into them.
I may blow off certain areas a second time. A paint brush is a required tool for RC cleaning. Cheap enough to have one your tool box.
I use simple green too!
Emulsion from golustro.com
https://www.golustro.com/Products/Emulsion-Dilutable-Dressing__EMD.aspx

I may blow off certain areas a second time. A paint brush is a required tool for RC cleaning. Cheap enough to have one in your tool box.
Yeah mines non-chlorinated

I've had good luck with NAPTHA. Put your diff parts in a tea infuser like this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainles...16179?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18988, stick them in a jar and add some NAPTHA then let them soak for like 5-10 minutes and give them a good sloshing around and all that crap comes right off and it doesn't harm plastics or anything. You can find it with the paint thinner and stuff at pretty much any hardware store.
Zippo fluid is mostly in naptha.... In a pinch....

Zippo fluid is mostly in naptha.... In a pinch....
Yeah I noticed a lot of the chemicals that are recommended to use are common in other types of things, sorta like denatured alcohol, is basically camp stove fuel.

@slick2500 Oops, had to edit, thought you were responding to a different thread lol. Haven't bought stove fuel in years, but typically if it says rv, boat, or airplane, you spend more lol

Do you take apart the 3 diffs after every run - that seems like alot of work? Aren't these diffs sealed pretty well so that dirt and sand etc..doesn't get in there very easily? I can see tearing them down, cleaning and re-greasing them after several runs if being run in alot of dirt/mud/sand but I very well could be wrong and I may need to do mine more often. I'm still learning

I use Simple Green on everything. Body, Frame, Motor parts, Gears, ESC, wiring, even bearings. Then, I spray Windex with amonia on everything as well then, I take my blower I blow off my driveway with and blow all the parts dry( this is where the windix comes in ) then, wipe with paper towel if needed. Then lube all parts needed. Seems to work for me. The Senton has only 7 screws to remove all electrical componets and the body and framework i hose down with the water hose and spray nossel.

Do you take apart the 3 diffs after every run - that seems like alot of work? Aren't these diffs sealed pretty well so that dirt and sand etc..doesn't get in there very easily? I can see tearing them down, cleaning and re-greasing them after several runs if being run in alot of dirt/mud/sand but I very well could be wrong and I may need to do mine more often. I'm still learning
God no. I only tear them down when they break or leak out enough fluid that they diff out easily.

Ok - that makes sense. How often do you oil/grease the wheel bearings on the Kraton 8s? I clean it off after every use but so far after 12-15 runs I haven't oiled the bearings.
I don’t own one of those so I would defer to someone here that does. ??‍♂️

Do they make seeled bearings for this. Thats the way to go if you can. Eliminate any headaches if you can. I've been an avid rc airplane guy for 45 years. in my experience it havew always been my rule to always take my jet apart and inspect it because hidden damage will always cause you to crash. So, every day, after a thrashing or just driving my truck i always take it apart and inspect it. Problems ALWAYS get bigger. I live in Monroe NC.

For the body I use green works mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle and a brush. Also I remove all tires and do the same, then dry and spray Armorall on cloth and wipe tires down. I've yet to do anything with the diffs or motor I've only had my Kraton 6s for a week or 2 and have put 6 runs in her mostly on grass and gravel but also 3 times on clay baseball diamond (Awesome BTW) but she gets super messy on clay and is a nightmare to clean that's why I went and ordered a dusty motor cover https://www.ebay.ca/i/192941490539?...B6Jf65YAcGOctLobjrAKiLTc2Ewv7ZmRoC8VkQAvD_BwE

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back