Getting motor temps for the upcoming summer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright. Thanks everyone for the ideas! I decided to start with the simple battery-powered one and if it works out over time maybe switch to the hardwired one. The Typhon case is tight, so I decided to mount it between the shock towers by the spoiler. The problem is that there's no way to really get it to stay there, so I designed a little box for it. The probe feeds in through the hole, and those little rectangles on the side are races for small zip ties. They're just tied around some of the spoiler mounts. Pretty flush.

I used some kapton tape to stick the probe. It's accurate up to about 120*F but after that seems to vary wildly from my infrared gauge. As much as 20*F low in some cases. I might need to try to find some thermal putty or use the JB Weld stuff posted above.

Anyway, thanks for the idea. I'm going to keep tinkering with it.

View attachment 220684

View attachment 220685

View attachment 220686

View attachment 220687
Really nice!

Looks good...wish I had the 3D ability like you for all mine I did. Nice.

Kapton tape has been holding well on my Kraton EXB and Typhon TLR. Cleaned the area good and probe with alcohol and it has been stuck on tight!

(y)
I can confirm the kapton tape does seem to stick well enough, but I can't seem to get the probe taped flush enough to the motor can. I always have one end of the probe or the other touching, not the whole thing. So I'm not sure if it's just the inaccuracy of the probe I'm looking at, or if it's because of the mounting. Too bad it's not a little thermocouple instead of this huge probe.

^^^
I am pretty sure it is self-powered with Voltage input some how. Maybe even a small battery. Don't quote me. If an Aux power source IS needed, just tap off the BEC Bus.:unsure:
But @parcou would know best.:cool:
A great idea.(y)

I can confirm the kapton tape does seem to stick well enough, but I can't seem to get the probe taped flush enough to the motor can. I always have one end of the probe or the other touching, not the whole thing. So I'm not sure if it's just the inaccuracy of the probe I'm looking at, or if it's because of the mounting. Too bad it's not a little thermocouple instead of this huge probe.

I did not have an issue taping the probe and I left both motors attached. I put the tape on one side first. then I placed the probe on the back of the motor in the center. I then pushed the tape in the crease between the motor and the probe and rolled the tape around the probe and creased it on the same side as well. This way probe stays flat. I taped over all that 2x when done.

I plan to do it cleaner when I service the motor on the next 20-25 battery packs.

Well...spring showers and time on my hand tired the same on the Kraton EXB. Do not expect it to be 100% on target just like the Infraction I posted above. Need and idea and for $15 nothing lost.

This one is a dual temp probe and since I am using an HW ESC and motor with a Spektrum AVC rx/tx I have no way to get data. On the Infraction, I can get ESC temp on the DX5C so just needed a single probe for the motor.

For the motor, I am using Kapton high temp tape...not sure how that will work overtime same as I did on the Infraction motor. More bashing will tell me soon. I did use JBW metal putty on the ESC probe and it is holding well. If the Kapton fails, I will go with the JBW on the motor. It's hard to see from the pic, there is no JBW touching the motor post connectors and no where close :)

Well...spring showers and time on my hand tired the same on the Kraton EXB. Do not expect it to be 100% on target just like the Infraction I posted above. Need and idea and for $15 nothing lost.

This one is a dual temp probe and since I am using an HW ESC and motor with a Spektrum AVC rx/tx I have no way to get data. On the Infraction, I can get ESC temp on the DX5C so just needed a single probe for the motor.

For the motor, I am using Kapton high temp tape...not sure how that will work overtime same as I did on the Infraction motor. More bashing will tell me soon. I did use JBW metal putty on the ESC probe and it is holding well. If the Kapton fails, I will go with the JBW on the motor. It's hard to see from the pic, there is no JBW touching the motor post connectors and no where close :)

View attachment 212330View attachment 212331View attachment 212332View attachment 212333
I see you have used 2 different LCD temp screens, which one did you prefer? what is the brand of the 2nd one that you used on the Kraton? What about battery consumption, i would guess the 2nd one is less taxing on the batteries?

I see you have used 2 different LCD temp screens, which one did you prefer? what is the brand of the 2nd one that you used on the Kraton? What about battery consumption, i would guess the 2nd one is less taxing on the batteries?
Hi

I use the single screen on RCs with the Spectrum ESC and Spectrum receiver. I have a Spektrum DX5C radio, so I can get ESC temps on the DX5C with that combo. Using the Infraction as an example, all I need is motor temp.

Kraton has an HW Max6 ESC with a receiver and radio Spektrum. In that case, I need the dual screen to get both temps. I can only get temperature readings from the temperature device on the rig, so I placed it where I can see it.

No battery consumption you notice. I solder an end on it so I can plug it into the receiver.

dual temp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WS11X45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

single temp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1RDJOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hi

I use the single screen on RCs with the Spectrum ESC and Spectrum receiver. I have a Spektrum DX5C radio, so I can get ESC temps on the DX5C with that combo. Using the Infraction as an example, all I need is motor temp.

Kraton has an HW Max6 ESC with a receiver and radio Spektrum. In that case, I need the dual screen to get both temps. I can only get temperature readings from the temperature device on the rig, so I placed it where I can see it.

No battery consumption you notice. I solder an end on it so I can plug it into the receiver.

dual temp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WS11X45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

single temp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1RDJOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thanks thats great, do you think there is a way to change the probe with something more flat that will have more surface area in contact with the motor?

Thanks thats great, do you think there is a way to change the probe with something more flat that will have more surface area in contact with the motor?
Hmm

All the tech is in the probe so I am not sure how it comes apart. I would look for one that is more flat unless there is a way to take this apart. That's over my head

Can you see any use for these ones, that would be better than the one you are currently using?

Motor cycle water temp

Pemenol temp
Nice!

I like both those options, and I am open to improvements. The challenge is getting it on the motor or ESC. If you find a way to get either of those to work for a motor and ESC, please share. I did not look as you did. I stole the idea from YT'er JaeTee and used what he used.

Tex and I both got busy. He was working on something I could use the prob on a motor. The challenge is that not all motors are the same diameter.

Back