Timing or Gearing for Temps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan's_Rcs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was thinking of doing an experiment with timing and gearing, but wanted to check on here to see if anybody has done this before. Currently on my MT410, I'm hitting 65mph with 10 degrees of timing on my MMX8S. I am thinking about turning timing down to 0 degrees, then testing the speed again and gearing up a tooth or so to get 65mph again with 0 degrees of timing. I am wondering which combination will be most efficient, or if they will be practically the same.

I've heard that advanced timing lowers the motor's torque output, and if that's the case, then maybe zero degrees with a bigger gear would actually run cooler? Or maybe there will be no difference.
Anyway, I am very curious about this and I want to try to test this out, but before I buy new pinion gears I wanted to see whether or not some of you guys have experimented with this idea!

Thanks!

I had gone from 10deg to 0 deg and lost some speed but never spent much time investigating temps and pinion changes.
I would be interested to see what your findings are if you proceed with the test.

I had gone from 10deg to 0 deg and lost some speed but never spent much time investigating temps and pinion changes.
I would be interested to see what your findings are if you proceed with the test.
I will for definitely continue to update this thread! Currently, my MT410 is out of commission due to a tire blow-out, but by Thursday I will have another set. I'll probably get around to testing the speeds/temps this weekend.

Depends on the motor wind/kV and ESC PWM timing curve RPM (boost). You could potentially have more torque with lowered timing but will lose upper RPM power. Think of it as a camshaft in a combustion engine, more lift and duration will shift the powerband towards upper RPM(to an extent).

I've never opened the castle link on my MMX8S, probably should do that to understand where the curve was set by previous owner.

You definitely want more timing for speed runs. Zero would be bad, although some motors have timing built in.

Why would zero be bad? I don’t know much about motor timing.
I think zero is bad for speedruns because it lowers the rpm, therefore needing to increase the gear ratio to gather speed. Eventually you won't be able to increase the gears anymore, and timing will be the only thing to increase speed. However, for bashing this won't be a problem because you don't need high rpm to get 60-70mph...

That's why I want to try this test. My bet is lower timing will be more efficient since the motor doesn't have to spin as fast to get to the same speed, therefore it should run cooler. Some may argue that lowering voltage/gearing up does the same thing, but that actually increases amps. My theory is to keep the same voltage, and decrease rpms through timing and keep the speed through gearing, hopefully resulting in a more efficient setup.

Hello all,

I was thinking of doing an experiment with timing and gearing, but wanted to check on here to see if anybody has done this before. Currently on my MT410, I'm hitting 65mph with 10 degrees of timing on my MMX8S. I am thinking about turning timing down to 0 degrees, then testing the speed again and gearing up a tooth or so to get 65mph again with 0 degrees of timing. I am wondering which combination will be most efficient, or if they will be practically the same.

I've heard that advanced timing lowers the motor's torque output, and if that's the case, then maybe zero degrees with a bigger gear would actually run cooler? Or maybe there will be no difference.
Anyway, I am very curious about this and I want to try to test this out, but before I buy new pinion gears I wanted to see whether or not some of you guys have experimented with this idea!

Thanks!
In theory Zero Timing will gain max torque and lower temps. IMHO. All with a slight speed increase, if with 2 teeth up. My guestimate.
Timing always increases heat. Increases RPM's slightly. With a torque hit. There is a trade off. How much also depends on other variables.. Trial and error dictates.
I leave all my timing down, all rigs, except my 6s Limitless speed runs.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back