GPM Shocks: Have you actually tried them or hate them because you heard you should?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Talion
Serious question, y'all... I've noticed that certain brands get roasted in some groups for the mention of their names. I often try those brands specifically to make my own opinion. Recently, I decided to throw some GPM shocks on my Talion... lemme tell ya... I'm not sure why so many people seem to hate them. Let me know your experience if you had one. This isn't a brand bash post. I want usage experience. If not GPM what other shock options are there for 1/8 scale Arrmas?

Link for my first run with the GPM shocks

20211214_023330.jpg

20211214_024609.jpg

I've not personally ran the GPM shocks but have seen several others have issues with them leaking and shafts bending. Now I've ran the ZD racing set and they did fine besides leaking at the bottom of the shock body and some of the pistons where really tight fitting. Easy fixes though just adding another O ring and sanding the pistons a tiny bit.

I've not personally ran the GPM shocks but have seen several others have issues with them leaking and shafts bending. Now I've ran the ZD racing set and they did fine besides leaking at the bottom of the shock body and some of the pistons where really tight fitting. Easy fixes though just adding another O ring and sanding the pistons a tiny bit.
Right on. Leaks are usually easy fixes. I haven't gotten any big sends with these shocks yet... but definitely taken some tumbles of shock bending levels haha. They've beefed them up to 5mm too. If these don't hold up, I saw Proline Racing has some for the Kraton.

Tried them, still have them. Bleeding is a nightmare, and you will always end up with air in the system. They leak as well.
M2C caps (older style) are the worst and were weak. Didn't bother with other shock styles, as stock has been very durable for myself.
I still have a set of spares that I haven't touched. Oh yes, the GPM springs suck as well.

Tried them, still have them. Bleeding is a nightmare, and you will always end up with air in the system. They leak as well.
M2C caps (older style) are the worst and were weak. Didn't bother with other shock styles, as stock has been very durable for myself.
I still have a set of spares that I haven't touched. Oh yes, the GPM springs suck as well.
Are your gpm springs the single or dual springs? And is it longevity that sucked or did they not support the weight of your rig? I'm asking because the stock shocks for me had all of the problems everyone says they have with GPM. Kinda wondering if I may build some frankenshocks and blend the best parts. I keep spare rebuild kits and stock shafts. So far my ride height and handling have been greatly improved. And I think I'll avoid the different caps for now. That's actually one thing I've never had an issue with haha! *knocks on wood*

I'm currently running GPMs on my Vorteks because I wanted a longer shock than the stockers and the price was right. For me, they've been fine. They did leak upon arrival (2 of them did), because the caps weren't tight, but that's a potential issue with any brand, including shocks on the car from the factory. IMO, they should just ship them empty and include a small bottle of oil if they want. I was putting my own in anyway, so that was a non-issue. I've not found bleeding to be a problem...they seem to bleed as well as any other shock I have personal experience with of the same kind of cap/bladder design. Maybe they have a small amount of air in them, but they perform great for my needs. The springs are holding up well so far and I haven't had any durability issues. I've got some ZD's on another rig, and I prefer the GPMs over the ZD's, as they just feel smoother and of higher quality, and to me they feel as good, if not slightly better, than factory 3s shocks. Personally, between my own personal experience and SOME of the negative feedback I've seen/heard, they're fine for general light-medium bashing and driving, which is what I do with my Vorteks, but if you're planning on sending your rig 80 feet through the air or trying to get a perfect tune for a drag car or rock crawler, durability and fine tuning is called into question. And maybe they're not the best option for heavier vehicles. For reference, I've got about 25—30 packs through the Vorteks since the GPMs went on, mostly at a BMX track. One session had a crash bad enough to snap the chassis, but the GPM shocks survived unscathed.

Dual springs, and they were/are a lot weaker than stock.
I'm wondering if they heard these complaints and updated the product. So far so good. Fingers crossed though. Too early to say for sure
Dual springs, and they were/are a lot weaker than stock.
I'm wondering if they heard these complaints and updated the product. So far so good. Fingers crossed though. Too early to say for au
I'm currently running GPMs on my Vorteks because I wanted a longer shock than the stockers and the price was right. For me, they've been fine. They did leak upon arrival (2 of them did), because the caps weren't tight, but that's a potential issue with any brand, including shocks on the car from the factory. IMO, they should just ship them empty and include a small bottle of oil if they want. I was putting my own in anyway, so that was a non-issue. I've not found bleeding to be a problem...they seem to bleed as well as any other shock I have personal experience with of the same kind of cap/bladder design. Maybe they have a small amount of air in them, but they perform great for my needs. The springs are holding up well so far and I haven't had any durability issues. I've got some ZD's on another rig, and I prefer the GPMs over the ZD's, as they just feel smoother and of higher quality, and to me they feel as good, if not slightly better, than factory 3s shocks. Personally, between my own personal experience and SOME of the negative feedback I've seen/heard, they're fine for general light-medium bashing and driving, which is what I do with my Vorteks, but if you're planning on sending your rig 80 feet through the air or trying to get a perfect tune for a drag car or rock crawler, durability and fine tuning is called into question. And maybe they're not the best option for heavier vehicles. For reference, I've got about 25—30 packs through the Vorteks since the GPMs went on, mostly at a BMX track. One session had a crash bad enough to snap the chassis, but the GPM shocks survived unscathed.
Sounds like you bash similarly to me. I'll do the occasional extreme send... but not near as much lately. I've enjoyed just mid level bashing. Time to keep bashing to see what they'll take! 👊🏿

I haven't used gpm, but I have some other versions from ebay and they look pretty much the same. In my experience compared to Traxxas shocks, they are all much worst. Not smooth, flimsy, leaky. I had arrma fury and now I have limitless. Newer arrmas seem to have very good shocks compared to 2wd lineup. When it comes to Traxxas, ultras are awesome from what they are, but I think they are not appropriate for vxl cars. Big bored are not a big improvement over ultras but gtr is probably the best upgrade for Traxxas. Proline power strokes are very good, but they are not 13mm bore, I think they are only 10 or 11, (Traxxas version) and very expensive. And I am not a fan of dual springs

Serious question, y'all... I've noticed that certain brands get roasted in some groups for the mention of their names. I often try those brands specifically to make my own opinion. Recently, I decided to throw some GPM shocks on my Talion... lemme tell ya... I'm not sure why so many people seem to hate them. Let me know your experience if you had one. This isn't a brand bash post. I want usage experience. If not GPM what other shock options are there for 1/8 scale Arrmas?

View attachment 187174

View attachment 187175

People online will hate on anything. Years past GPM were known to be used on all those shelf queen RC that were solid aluminum right to the GPM arms and that's probably why they got the bad rap. They aren't a racing brand and won't see racing cars running GPM anything.

That said, if they work for you the who cares what people think

Rock on!

I haven't tried the GPM shocks, but the fact that you can't buy shock components separately is a deal breaker for me. If any component breaks, you have to buy another set of shocks. EDIT: This is incorrect, they sell re-build kits.

As for GPM in general, I used their front and rear aluminum knuckles and they were great, durable with perfect fit. However, the differential yoke didn't fit at all, so I had to get a Hot Racing yoke, which fit perfectly.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the GPM shocks, but the fact that you can't buy shock components separately is a deal breaker for me. If any component breaks, you have to buy another set of shocks.

As for GPM in general, I used their front and rear aluminum knuckles and they were great, durable with perfect fit. However, the differential yoke didn't fit at all, so I had to get a Hot Racing yoke, which fit perfectly.
They sell rebuild kits. They might be hard to find right now depending on the model. I spoke with someone from their main reseller in China about parts availability a few months ago and was told they completely shut down manufacturing because of COVID up until like October of 2021, so they're still getting caught up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPM-Alloy-...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

View attachment 187174

View attachment 187175
I'm putting a pair in my fireteam curious how you liked em

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back