Typhon GPS Troubles!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Donut Man

Speed runner on a budget...if that's even possible
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi all; I went out to run tonight and put in a few solid passes, but my Garmin Forerunner 101 wasn't reading correctly. I kept getting the "Weak Signal" popup and the GPS would show "Distance Traveled" changing even with the car stationary. This is a new spot that I really like so I'd like to make it work! It is way out in the country, but it's open and a very nice road with low traffic. Does anyone have a fix or suggestion that could allow my GPS to connect?

How was the weather that day?? How and where was the GPS positioned. Try diff. positions even outside the body. The antenna for that GPS must face the sky obviously. But low clouds can be an issue with GPS receptions for sure. I have had similar issues with my SkyRC GPS on rare occassions. But I felt sometimes it had to have a full charge to initialize and find at least 3 Sat's. My newer SkyRC uses GNSS a derivitive GPS protocol.

Hi all; I went out to run tonight and put in a few solid passes, but my Garmin Forerunner 101 wasn't reading correctly. I kept getting the "Weak Signal" popup and the GPS would show "Distance Traveled" changing even with the car stationary. This is a new spot that I really like so I'd like to make it work! It is way out in the country, but it's open and a very nice road with low traffic. Does anyone have a fix or suggestion that could allow my GPS to connect?
Was the GPS covered by any metallic objects? Carbon fiber will also block the sat signal. If it had direct LOS to the sky, it likely is defective. I’ve never had less than 8 linked sats when using my SkyRC GPSs

How was the weather that day?? How and where was the GPS positioned. Try diff. positions even outside the body. The antenna for that GPS must face the sky obviously. But low clouds can be an issue with GPS receptions for sure. I have had similar issues with my SkyRC GPS on rare occassions. But I felt sometimes it had to have a full charge to initialize and find at least 3 Sat's. My newer SkyRC uses GNSS a derivitive GPS protocol.
Not a cloud in the sky, and while it was connecting the GPS was just sitting face-up on the trunk of my car. I can tell the connection issue is present even before I strap it into the car.
Was the GPS covered by any metallic objects? Carbon fiber will also block the sat signal. If it had direct LOS to the sky, it likely is defective. I’ve never had less than 8 linked sats when using my SkyRC GPSs
When in the car, I have a cradle bent out of 0.063" sheet steel that holds the ends in place. No carbon on my build; I don't have the budget for that ;) Could switching to a SkyRC GSM-020 be the next step?

GPS Mount.jpg

You covered your bases well. Nice install. That GPS may be bricked to some extent?? Most speed runners feel that specific Garmin GPS is more accurate and way more consistent than the SkyRC 020(GNSS) when compared side by side, same rig, same runs. FWIW.

You covered your bases well. Nice install. That GPS may be bricked to some extent?? Most speed runners feel that specific Garmin GPS is more accurate and way more consistent than the SkyRC 020(GNSS) when compared side by side, same rig, same runs. FWIW.
Thanks, I'm starting to think it's earned its paperweight status too. I'll run it a few times more to see if it reads, and then I think the SkyRC will be my next move. If @phildogg runs it, that's good enough for me!

If you do get the SkyRC GPS, make sure it’s the GSM020 not the GSM015. The 015 is a few mph slow compared to other GPS due to the lower refresh rate. You have to hold your top speed longer for it to register.

SkyRC 020 (GNSS) defaults to slow frame rate. Easily upped to max its frame rate when plugged into the PC with the SkyRC GNSS data logger settings. You get faster resolution. As stated above, avoid the SkyRC 015 at all costs. Many don't notice it is old. The appearance is the same. But they are slightly different and newer 020 uses GNSS for more accuracy and higher resolution and you can switch between MPH and KPH without the need to use the PC Data logger unlike the Older one.
Also, I noticed most guys don't bother with the SkyRC datalogger and rely on its physical LCD display for reads. When you plug into your PC for the data logger, you will find your speeds a bit higher and more accurate to the 10th digit in its running logs. I always notice this. Food for thought. Personally I feel the all Sky RC GPS's are made like JUNK. Very delicate, and internally the electronics are subpar and look like they were assembled by children.(probably are). Overpriced for what they are asking. But there just aren't many choices out there. I've been through 4 of them. They pop apart if you even sneeze at then. The batteries stop to charge well at some point with little use. Just my observations.:cool:

Last edited:
SkyRC 020 (GNSS) defaults to slow frame rate. Easily upped to max its frame rate when plugged into the PC with the SkyRC GNSS data logger settings. You get faster resolution. As stated above, avoid the SkyRC 015 at all costs. Many don't notice it is old. The appearance is the same. But they are slightly different and newer 020 uses GNSS for more accuracy and higher resolution and you can switch between MPH and KPH without the need to use the PC Data logger unlike the Older one.
Also, I noticed most guys don't bother with the SkyRC datalogger and rely on its physical LCD display for reads. When you plug into your PC for the data logger, you will find your speeds a bit higher and more accurate to the 10th digit in its running logs. I always notice this. Food for thought. Personally I feel the all Sky RC GPS's are made like JUNK. Very delicate, and internally the electronics are subpar and look like they were assembled by children.(probably are). Overpriced for what they are asking. But there just aren't many choices out there. I've been through 4 of them. They pop apart if you even sneeze at then. The batteries stop to charge well at some point with little use. Just my observations.:cool:
The GSM020 doesn’t have a screen. It uses an app on a smart phone. The GSM010 was the old slow unit. The GSM015 is the newer version with a display.

1594410254730.jpeg

1594410283331.jpeg

1594410305580.jpeg

^^^Thanks for the correction. My bad.
Got my model numbers screwed up.
The 020 is calling for me. I like viewing post run data on an app. 020 offers more data than the 015 GNSS.

Mine's been tossed off the car several times at 60MPH, and even suffered "Rapid Self Disassembly" as it bounced along the road. It's scratched up a bit, but still seems to work well.

Any trees overhead? Going under a tree canopy can definitely make the signal weaker to the point where it can't receive enough satellites to calculate things.

^^^Thanks for the correction. My bad.
Got my model numbers screwed up.
The 020 is calling for me. I like viewing post run data on an app. 020 offers more data than the 015 GNSS.
The one thing I will say about the 020 is it is a little slower acquiring sat signals. It takes up to a min at times, but after that it works perfectly. I make a habit of Turing the GPS app on before getting anything else prepped. By the time I have the GoPro, radio, and car all set, it has a lock on 12+ sats.

Yeah mine was put back together several times until the switch buttons soldering gave way and the coax antenna connector also unsoldered. You would need a rework station and a soldering microscope to resolder it. I did try with standard soldering though, but It was bricked. I feel the case should be more solid and not separate. The MFR knows how we use these GPS's and the abuse they need to take. Now my latest one is in a padded waterproof case. It should last a few minutes longer hopefully. :ROFLMAO: I may even conformal coat the board to keep the components from getting unsoldered from impacts/ shocks. Having had several of these and seeing how they are built, they are truly overpriced. Sometimes as high as $130.00 for the SkyRC 015. I wish there was more competition out there besides Garmin and SkyRC/Dynamite.(clones of each other) The 020 is probably more robust/stout. With the 3 that are broken, I can probably make another one. I have one spare battery FWIW. The 2 other batteries crapped out anyway.

Last edited:
Any trees overhead? Going under a tree canopy can definitely make the signal weaker to the point where it can't receive enough satellites to calculate things.
There are trees on one side of the road, but I'm on the side with a large cornfield, so canopy cover isn't an issue. Good thought, though! I think my Garmin is just old, and I would feel more confident in a new product like the SkyRC GSM-020 than a used Forerunner at this point.
The one thing I will say about the 020 is it is a little slower acquiring sat signals. It takes up to a min at times, but after that it works perfectly. I make a habit of Turing the GPS app on before getting anything else prepped. By the time I have the GoPro, radio, and car all set, it has a lock on 12+ sats.
Thanks for the notice @jondilly1974; I went with the GSM-020 so I should be able to test mine in a week or so. My Forerunner is the same way; I let it find signal while I'm prepping the GoPro and the car. Thanks everybody for your input!

My GPS came early in the mail today! Time to test it out tomorrow...

View attachment 89514
Be warned that the bottom of these do pop off under hard hits. They are glued in. I was using 3M tape to hold mine down and the case came apart on a roll over crash.

Be warned that the bottom of these do pop off under hard hits. They are glued in. I was using 3M tape to hold mine down and the case came apart on a roll over crash.

I had mine strapped to the rear spoiler with cables ties for the first few runs.

THREE times it popped off, went flying, and disintegrated when it hit.

And three times we snapped it back together, and it still worked.

Now it lives under the body.....and still works A-OK.

I had mine strapped to the rear spoiler with cables ties for the first few runs.

THREE times it popped off, went flying, and disintegrated when it hit.

And three times we snapped it back together, and it still worked.

Now it lives under the body.....and still works A-OK.
Well I might just add a secondary attachment method then; it's held to the chassis by servo tape right now. And your experience gives me confidence in the toughness of this GPS, though hopefully I never have to go chasing for one after a hit (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back