Granite Granite 4x4 - Expert help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpvmiller

Very Active Member
Reaction score
> Granite Build All Updates <

Hello all.

I took a break from surface rc for a good while. I am more versed in fpv drones now and finding that some things have changed.

I picked up a granite 4x4 3s blx rtr to get me back into a casual basher.

After running 3 packs (3s) it is fun though from my past experience there are things I would like to improve.

I would love a wider wheel base OR sway bars or maybe even both. Aluminum shocks with a bigger bore. Better cvds all the way around (fronts, rear and center) if it exists.

The plan is to make this my casual basher at the field when my drone batteries are charging. My last rigs were a losi 5ive-t converted to buggy and a serpent truggy so that kind of lines up what my handling hopes are. I will admit the granite won't get to that level but close enough is good enough.

The talion would have been overkill for what I wanted though I will admit that kind of handling is what I prefer.

Any ideas from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Go with Typhon 3S RPM arms to get the width. You will also need Typhon turnbuckles. Grab the Typhon axles and hexes also so you can run 17mm.

For shocks, the best are Typhon 6S shocks, but they are hard to come by. You could also do Talion or Kraton 6S shocks and add some tubing on the shock shaft to restrict travel.

Best upgrades are still radio, servo, and rubber sealed bearings. I also run MX28 Badlands on my Granite.

When you get ready for 4S, the BLX120 and 2400kv motor from the 4S rigs with a 15T pinion is super nice ??

Pretty much what @jondilly1974 said. I've done all of these things to my granite minus the Typhon hexes/shafts/badlands, still running the stock wheels/tires and waiting for them to wear out first. Good shocks and typhon arms/turnbuckles alone made huge difference in bashing and handling.

Awesome response people!

I was unsure if any other arrma parts would be direct swaps. I was thinking of the 1/8 shocks from the talion but again wasn't sure.

Off to find these parts. Getting excited now :)

I am waiting for the spektrum dx3 that should be out in some weeks so that will be my radio upgrade. Not sure what servo would be best.

The fast eddy bearings seems easy to find so I won't sweat that one just yet.

Last edited:
I was unsure if any other arrma parts would be direct swaps

This is the beauty of Arrma and why I and probably many others continue to stick with this brand when we want additional vehicles. So much cross-utilization and the more vehicles we have, the more options we have for customization.

So here is what I was able to find and purchase right off the bat.

RPM arms front/rear for the typhon 3s. The rear arm is backordered but it stated should be available in two weeks.
Fast eddy sealed bearing kit for granite 3s blx
Typhon 3s hex hubs
Typhon 3s driveshafts front/rear
Typhon 6s shockset front/rear listed as 16mm/104mm and 16mm/117mm
76mm 73.6gf spring
70mm 75.5gf spring
M4x50 turnbuckles (Typhon 3s uses M4x48 so I will take a chance with an extra 2mm length. Can always cut it :) )
17mm nut wrench
M4 rod ends

Only one item out of everything was backordered so hopefully they arrive soon given the current world situation.

Now, what are peoples opinions on some aluminum parts? I was looking at aluminum parts for:

Steering bell crank for granite
Steering knuckles and rear hub carriers
Shock tower braces front/rear

Thanks again all!

RPM arms front/rear for the typhon 3s. The rear arm is backordered but it stated should be available in two weeks.
Typhon 3s hex hubs
76mm 73.6gf spring
70mm 75.5gf spring
M4x50 turnbuckles (Typhon 3s uses M4x48 so I will take a chance with an extra 2mm length. Can always cut it :) )
17mm nut wrench
M4 rod ends

Only one item out of everything was backordered so hopefully they arrive soon given the current world situation.

Now, what are peoples opinions on some aluminum parts? I was looking at aluminum parts for:

Thanks again all!
The Hot Racing steering bellcrank, hubs, and steering blocks are all OK too. I don’t own the GPM tower braces as I think they’re poorly designed. They only bolt thru two shock locations and that seems useless to me. If they had four bolt locations they would be worth buying.

Until then, the stock towers hold up pretty well and they are cheap on Jennys to buy.

Typhon 3s hex hubs
76mm 73.6gf spring
70mm 75.5gf spring
17mm nut wrench
M4 rod ends

Thanks again all!
Also don't lock your slipper up hehe its always hard to understand a clutch when you first get one
If you want more stability you could go with longer wheel base(typhon 3s chassi but at that point your making a 3s typhon.

Also don't lock your slipper up hehe its always hard to understand a clutch when you first get one
If you want more stability you could go with longer wheel base(typhon 3s chassi but at that point your making a 3s typhon.

So far the slipper is the way it was set stock. Everything really is still stock. I just know I wanted a few bits here and there to change from stock. I will definitely look at adjusting the slipper when the new parts get installed.

So far the slipper is the way it was set stock. Everything really is still stock. I just know I wanted a few bits here and there to change from stock. I will definitely look at adjusting the slipper when the new parts get installed.
I think the slipper should stay the same tightening it you can risk damaging something else ussualy the driveshaft would pop out of the U join in the rear

Get these for the shock tops
AXIC1356Axial Silicone Shock Bushing 7.5x8mm (6)

Attachments

• Axial.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 81
Dang pivot balls. I remember using the tinitrate whatever coated pivot balls that traxxas had for their revo/tmaxx back in the day. Wonder if there is something similar now.

Oh I'm sure there is if you can get the sizes. I have a pack showing up in the next day or two and can get them to you? that was my plan

I would definitely appreciate that info on the pivot balls.

I just found a thread with a picture of a busted shock tower on a granite sooooo....I ordered some aluminum tower braces along with some other aluminum pieces.

Hmm, this granite is turning into an interesting project.

Last edited:
I would definitely appreciate that info on the pivot balls.

I just found a thread with a picture of a busted shock tower on a granite sooooo....I ordered some aluminum tower braces along with some other aluminum pieces.

Hmm, this granite is turning into an interesting project.
Understand that you cannot make an rc completly bulletprof something going to give at one point alluminum shock towers imo the gpm or integy ones don't do much. And the plastic shock tower is like 10$ for the front and rear? The only way to break the front shock tower is to maybe hit a wall at decent speed roof first on the typhon 3s its another story the front shock tower is exposed and has nothing to protect it
The granite is pretty bulletproof stock already out of the box you can bassicly trow it where you want and it will survive
Here are the pivot balls
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...098926?hash=item2162002aee:g:ROIAAOSwN3dddiVz

The stock granite wheels are using 14mm hexes, so unless you bought 17mm hex wheels to replace them you don't need these. The drive shafts you have now will work with the Typhon arms. Just FYI toss them in a box for when you DO need them.

I also have a 3D printed bushing I've successfully used printed from Ninjaflex that will work as an alternative to the Axial bushing here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4236723

Understand that you cannot make an rc completly bulletprof something going to give at one point alluminum shock towers imo the gpm or integy ones don't do much. And the plastic shock tower is like 10$ for the front and rear? The only way to break the front shock tower is to maybe hit a wall at decent speed roof first on the typhon 3s its another story the front shock tower is exposed and has nothing to protect it
The granite is pretty bulletproof stock already out of the box you can bassicly trow it where you want and it will survive
Here are the pivot balls
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...098926?hash=item2162002aee:g:ROIAAOSwN3dddiVz

Not so much bulletproof but resilient :) The aluminum part is only a shock tower brace not a complete replacement. I generally keep most plastic parts since they do their job well (arms for example) but some things do last longer in aluminum from my past experience. The granite is my first rc in a long while that uses an all plastic shock tower. I have been accustomed to all aluminum towers or a hybrid of plastic/aluminum. The aluminum knuckles and carriers will also help to keep the bearing slots consistent through wear. That part I Iearned from racing :)

The stock granite wheels are using 14mm hexes, so unless you bought 17mm hex wheels to replace them you don't need these. The drive shafts you have now will work with the Typhon arms. Just FYI toss them in a box for when you DO need them.

I also have a 3D printed bushing I've successfully used printed from Ninjaflex that will work as an alternative to the Axial bushing here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4236723

I purchased the mt28 badlands as suggested here so the 17mm driveshafts are going to be used. Going to be printing the bushings today to keep them on hand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back