Granite Grease for granite differentials. Red and tacky vs Tamiya anti wear grease.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
Which one would you use? I already have the red and tacky in hand because of a previous project (a whole tube of it). Thoughts? Thanks.

For the ring and pinion? I don't recommend a really sticky lube, because that adds additional friction and resistance to turning because the gears are sticking to each other so much. This adds heat and resistance. I actually use Tamiya anti-wear as a limited slip grease to ADD friction to my open diffs.

A light white lithium or silicone grease is what I would suggest. I use Traxxas silicone grease personally.

From the 4 diffs I've examined, the stuff that's on the ring and pinion gears from ARRMA almost looks like Vaseline.

I'm still deciding on what to use on my rebuilt diff gears. I'll either use some of my tacky red synthetic grease, or the Chain Saver spray.

No NO LITHIUM GREASE it killed 3 whole diffs before i noticed that it was the grease was my issue
IMG_0450.JPG

marine grease is the best all arround grease people recommand and use

Last edited:
No NO LITHIUM GREASE it killed 3 whole diffs before i noticed that ipthe grease was my issue

Yeah, I'm not going to use any kind of "petroleum product" on the gears. I've had bad past experiences doing that with plastic gears that are heavily loaded, even using "EP" rated grease.

This will happen really fast if you use lithium grease on those plastic diffs. Maybe on metal diffs its differant but oh boy they love to chew plastic diffs you bassicly run your diffs dry
Was this an "Automotive" style white lithium grease?
I habe no idea it just says white lithium grease in the tube
3 weeks with marine grease and my diffs has no plastic residu near the gears and they look brand new

Last edited:
This will happen really fast if your use lothium grease on those plastic diffs. Maybe on metal diffs its differant but oh boy they love to chew plastic diffs you bassicly run your diffs dry

I habe no idea it just says white lithium grease in the tube

What's the brand name and/or part number?

I use silicone based brake grease for automotive applications. Has worked for me for over a year now. Diffs are the last thing original in my rigs. Have yet to need a single diff part.

1DC75546-2078-45A8-BE51-BC4940717763.jpeg

For the ring and pinion? I don't recommend a really sticky lube, because that adds additional friction and resistance to turning because the gears are sticking to each other so much. This adds heat and resistance. I actually use Tamiya anti-wear as a limited slip grease to ADD friction to my open diffs.

A light white lithium or silicone grease is what I would suggest. I use Traxxas silicone grease personally.
I'm already using red and tacky between my ring gear and my pinoin on my Outcast. I was thinking about using it inside the diff on my granite. And on the outside too.
No NO LITHIUM GREASE it killed 3 whole diffs before i noticed that ipthe grease was my issue
View attachment 49959
marine grease is the best all arround grease people recommand and use
So use the red and tacky inside my diffs on my Arrma then? What are you using now? I have a whole bunch of the red and tacky from the previous project.

I'm already using red and tacky between my ring gear and my pinoin on my Outcast. I was thinking about using it inside the diff on my granite. And on the outside too.

So use the red and tacky inside my diffs on my Arrma then? What are you using now? I have a whole bunch of the red and tacky from the previous project.
Im using marine And i love it 5$ for a tube is amazing exactly what you want doesn't cause much resistance when you sping your diff manually

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back