Grom Typhon Grom vs Granite Grom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofrog

Reaction score
I’m totally new to RC cars but after a friend used his with my dog, I had to buy one. I went to local Hobby store told them budget was $150. She really tried to sell me on Granite Grom and I asked about the Typhon Grom which she downplayed as not as tough but possibly faster. They were same price $135. I bought the Typhon as my primary use will be exercise for extremely energetic herding dog and speed/durability/ease of use important.

It looks like the Typhon Grom was just released a few weeks ago so maybe I got lucky with new model. I’m very happy with handling, speed, controller. Setup was a breeze, took 30 min to hit full charge and everything else was already assembled and ready to go.

My question is: what is difference between Granite Grom and Typhon Grom? As a newbie, I don’t understand why a company would make two cars that salesperson said are the same? She told me Typhon faster (which watching a few YouTube comparisons might not be true). The main reason I chose Typhon is it looked like it might be faster and less likely to roll.

It appears Granite Grom has been out over a year and Typhon Grom just came out. Watching reviews it also appears Typhon Grom is a newer version of Granite Grom with some improvements. Why would she be selling me on previous model? If Typhon is better, why is manufactur charging the same price for both?

I’m loving it and think I made right choice for beginner and price point. My dog is really loving it. He thinking he’s chasing a squirrel or sheep and growls/barks the whole time. The speed and agility of herding dog is comparable to Typhon. Dog can change direction better but it’s a good match. Thank you

Guy at checkout counter removed tiny spacers from front suspension which he said would help steering. Steering has been excellent for me but it appears steering is excellent for everyone out of the box.

I might need to post video of Australian Shepherd vs RC car. You’ve prob seen Aus Shepherds and Border Collies winning agility competitions on TV. Australian shepherds top out 25-35 mph and can turn on a dime. I think Typhon Grom is getting 20-25mph out of the box and very nimble so it’s an epic battle. My dog gives the rear spoiler small bites occasionally but mostly just barking at it. I guess he’s more interested in herding it than actually killing it so he he never knocks it over. Australia Shepherds need minimum of 2 hrs exercise a day and frankly I was having trouble walking 2-4 hrs everyday and he loses interest in fetching after 10 minutes. This Typhon GROM has been a lot of fun for both us. He barks at the Typhon and jumps into ready stance just when sees it.

Last edited:
it’s still cool where I live but I could see dog overheating chasing RC car. I’ve limited sessions watching his cues for exhaustion and know his energy level. Even a herding dog on farm is only going full speed occasionally so trying to chase an RC car at 20 mph for more than 5-10 minutes is asking a lot.

My son has the Granite Grom & I picked up the Typhon Grom last week. Our local track races Mini T/B and the Granite Grom, but will be adding the Typhon Grom as well.

The difference is quite similar to the Mini T vs Mini B. The Typhon is a longer chassis than the Granite. Because of the longer chassis having more space, they added a fan for the motor. The tires are wider on the Granite vs the Typhon. The Typhon handles better than the Granite and is less likely to wheelie from reverse to forward. The suspension arms are the same as are the diffs, motor, ESC & battery. The Typhon is faster on pavement, probably due to the 18t pinion vs the 16t on the Granite. Personally, I prefer buggies, while my son likes Monster Trucks, so it works well. He also races the Mini T, while I race a Mini B.

Most prices I have seen have the Typhon about $10 more than the Granite. Makes sense with the motor fan and a bit larger chassis. The clipless body setup on the Typhon I find much easier to use than the Granite. The fan makes a big difference. After a run on similar surfaces, the Typhon’s motor is cool to the touch, while the Granite is very hot.

I’m totally new to RC cars but after a friend used his with my dog, I had to buy one. I went to local Hobby store told them budget was $150. She really tried to sell me on Granite Grom and I asked about the Typhon Grom which she downplayed as not as tough but possibly faster. They were same price $135. I bought the Typhon as my primary use will be exercise for extremely energetic herding dog and speed/durability/ease of use important.

It looks like the Typhon Grom was just released a few weeks ago so maybe I got lucky with new model. I’m very happy with handling, speed, controller. Setup was a breeze, took 30 min to hit full charge and everything else was already assembled and ready to go.

My question is: what is difference between Granite Grom and Typhon Grom? As a newbie, I don’t understand why a company would make two cars that salesperson said are the same? She told me Typhon faster (which watching a few YouTube comparisons might not be true). The main reason I chose Typhon is it looked like it might be faster and less likely to roll.

It appears Granite Grom has been out over a year and Typhon Grom just came out. Watching reviews it also appears Typhon Grom is a newer version of Granite Grom with some improvements. Why would she be selling me on previous model? If Typhon is better, why is manufactur charging the same price for both?

I’m loving it and think I made right choice for beginner and price point. My dog is really loving it. He thinking he’s chasing a squirrel or sheep and growls/barks the whole time. The speed and agility of herding dog is comparable to Typhon. Dog can change direction better but it’s a good match. Thank you

Guy at checkout counter removed tiny spacers from front suspension which he said would help steering. Steering has been excellent for me but it appears steering is excellent for everyone out of the box.

I might need to post video of Australian Shepherd vs RC car. You’ve prob seen Aus Shepherds and Border Collies winning agility competitions on TV. Australian shepherds top out 25-35 mph and can turn on a dime. I think Typhon Grom is getting 20-25mph out of the box and very nimble so it’s an epic battle. My dog gives the rear spoiler small bites occasionally but mostly just barking at it. I guess he’s more interested in herding it than actually killing it so he he never knocks it over. Australia Shepherds need minimum of 2 hrs exercise a day and frankly I was having trouble walking 2-4 hrs everyday and he loses interest in fetching after 10 minutes. This Typhon GROM has been a lot of fun for both us. He barks at the Typhon and jumps into ready stance just when sees it.
Animals love the groms for some reason. I have a granite and its not uncommon to get the occasional bird of prey swooping down after it. perhaps because they are small and fairly quiet, it might make it interesting to put a coonskin hat on the body or add a tail to the back. sounds like this was a good buy for the two of you, as far as encouraging one grom over another this could be due to the fact there are more aftermarket parts avail as of now for the granite, or ones a truck and other a buggy so maybe its assumed the truck will be more robust. or that persons personal preference. for the price though you cant go wrong with either.

a

Back