GRP tires speed limit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I've seen plenty of people are taking these up beyond 100mph. So is this just the standard packaging label they put on every bag for warranty purposes? Or did I just get the wrong set and now I'm limited to basically 70mph??
20230831_154707.jpg

Tires are all the same but 1-2 years ago they had warranty on tires. People would return their speed run tires that blew up.
Now they just advertise what will work for sure, rest is on you.

I doubt there is any tire rated above 100mph. Yes, some get lucky with GRP, plenty of stories on this forum, eventually followed by a 'my tire blew up' story.

So I have a few potential options here: use as street bashing tires on my tekno SCT or attempt speed runs in the 90 to 100mph range on a 5 lb RC.

In terms of confidence: there is a chance the tires could blow up at 111 KPH. So i couldnt be 100% confident they'd survive beyond that. But in terms of likelihood, it's not very likely they would give out until 120+ MPH? Seem reasonable?

I’ve been up to 140 MPH with GRPs that I still have and plan to run again. I’ve seen guys I run with go up to 160 MPH with them.

Really depends on temps and road condition.100MPH shouldn't be much of a risk unless you hit a little rock or something.
You can always set them up for a dry-run, spin them to the expected rpm and see how they hold up, i.e. do this on a bench with a single tire and a motor.

Really depends on temps and road condition.100MPH shouldn't be much of a risk unless you hit a little rock or something.
You can always set them up for a dry-run, spin them to the expected rpm and see how they hold up, i.e. do this on a bench with a single tire and a motor.
I think you'd always be basing likelihood based off reasonably "ideal" conditions. Too many factors and circumstances to consider unplanned or unfortunate incidences. Even running below 70mph and hitting a rock, i don't think you'd be able to confidently say they'd stay together.

I have done bench spin tests at full RPM with a previous set I was running on this rig (85mm hoon golds). That's what I used as justification to run actual full speed passes on the road. I may yet do that for this set, just for additional confidence. Thanks for the input.

usually safe up to 120 mph. Beyond 120 it’s kind of hit or miss imo. Had a blowout last week at 140 mph and fortunately the damage was minimal and I reinforce with Bob smith.

You have been warned….

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back