GRP compound for speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warby

"Hurry up and wait"
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. ADX-10
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Senton Mega
  7. Typhon 3s
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Infraction 4x4
I want to get some GRP 1/8 slicks for speed runs. Not sure what compound would be better suited for it.

My thinking is softer for more grip but not sure if softer is right at speeds.

Info:
It's cold (9-18C) here atm and the road surface is coarse asphult but level. Running the Typhon 4x4 on 4s and choons but may go 6s soon. I'm only newish to speed, currently at 81mph, aiming for 100mph at the moment. Not sure how much more the choons can handle. (Anyone gone faster with choons?)

A know foams would be a better option but BSR and Gone Bananas are pricey here.

I've got the GRP compound chart but still not sure. What do you recommend?

I use xm5s all year...I run from the 20s to the 100s degrees...I like the gtj code ones with the rigid wheel..less flex
I want to get some GRP 1/8 slicks for speed runs. Not sure what compound would be better suited for it.

My thinking is softer for more grip but not sure if softer is right at speeds.

Info:
It's cold (9-18C) here atm and the road surface is coarse asphult but level. Running the Typhon 4x4 on 4s and choons but may go 6s soon. I'm only newish to speed, currently at 81mph, aiming for 100mph at the moment. Not sure how much more the choons can handle. (Anyone gone faster with choons?)

A know foams would be a better option but BSR and Gone Bananas are pricey here.

I've got the GRP compound chart but still not sure. What do you recommend?
My buddy just ran 153mph with hoons...crazy huh

I like the gtj code ones with the rigid wheel
Oh ok. I thought the letter code only corresponds to the rim colour. Never noticed the J.

So,
J = hard
H = white
K = silver
X = black
Y = yellow

If you ever get foams, just know that they are a handful on a buggy. Zero traction.
Personally I like the xm7. Welcome to your new speed addiction. I just wanted to break 100 too 🤣🤣🤣
Same here.just wanted to break 100😂😆🤣.if you like speed at all you'll become addicted to the sound,speed,power,science, physics and THE HUGE RUSH ya get from it.
Oh ok. I thought the letter code only corresponds to the rim colour. Never noticed the J.

So,
J = hard
H = white
K = silver
X = black
Y = yellow
J only come in white

Welcome to your new speed addiction. I just wanted to break 100 too 🤣🤣🤣
It is addictive. Been thinking about it a lot. The typhon was for my son but its handles the speeds soooo much better than the Infraction. And it can fit the bigger wheels.

It is addictive. Been thinking about it a lot. The typhon was for my son but its handles the speeds soooo much better than the Infraction. And it can fit the bigger wheels.
Oh man you already got infected lol. Let's hear the setup. What you working with?
Gears, motor, and lipos
@K-BASH is the resident typhon guru. Come on K let's get him to 100

Oh man you already got infected lol. Let's hear the setup. What you working with?
Gears, motor, and lipos
@K-BASH is the resident typhon guru. Come on K let's get him to 100
20230529_165307.jpg

Its all fairly ghetto. Just a HW MAX10SCT 120a combo 3660 3200kv currently. I've only run it a few times. It's cutting out at speeds if I don't accelerate really easy. Guessing the gearing and tyres size is too much for it. Going to play with the punch and LVC and try again. Pretty sure I've already maxed out the MAX10's capability.

Gearing is out of the Infraction. 50t spur/ 26t pinion.

Ovonic 4s 6000mah 100C and a Yowoo 4s 6000mAh 100C which is new, still in the box.

Radiolink RC6GS V3, R6FG RX.

Infraction/Vendetta front splitter, tower and shocks. Rear Infraction defuser. Still got the 6s Typhon rear shocks with limiting straps(cable ties 😆).

20230608_120120.jpg

@K-BASH is the resident typhon guru.

Typhon will do it
Yes I'm subscribed to K-BASH's channel. Very inspiring.

Last edited:
Ok so XM5 Medium or XM7 medium-hard is a safe bet. I was leaning towards a softer compound for more grip. Out of interest, why harder compound?

I was always told go as hard as you can but still have grip, harder compound will roll faster due to less stickiness if that makes sense :unsure: (y)
Makes sense. Less rolling resistance.

I do have a old set of Revo S4's but they are very out of balance.

Last edited:
View attachment 304465
Its all fairly ghetto. Just a HW MAX10SCT 120a combo 3660 3200kv currently. I've only run it a few times. It's cutting out at speeds if I don't accelerate really easy. Guessing the gearing and tyres size is too much for it. Going to play with the punch and LVC and try again. Pretty sure I've already maxed out the MAX10's capability.

Gearing is out of the Infraction. 50t spur/ 26t pinion.

Ovonic 4s 6000mah 100C and a Yowoo 4s 6000mAh 100C which is new, still in the box.

Radiolink RC6GS V3, R6FG RX.

Infraction/Vendetta front splitter, tower and shocks. Rear Infraction defuser. Still got the 6s Typhon rear shocks with limiting straps(cable ties 😆).

View attachment 304468

Yes I'm subscribed to K-BASH's channel. Very inspiring.
Nice typhon man. Your gonna need a castle esc at some point so for right now, 6s would be the best bet. If it's already cutting out, your about maxed out. Going up In volts would be the quickest thing to do. However if you decide to get a castle, you'll have the option to drop back down in voltage and still reach your goal.

Nice typhon man. Your gonna need a castle esc at some point so for right now, 6s would be the best bet. If it's already cutting out, your about maxed out. Going up In volts would be the quickest thing to do. However if you decide to get a castle, you'll have the option to drop back down in voltage and still reach your goal.
Thanks Chris. Yes I guessed that was the next step. Going to try the current setup again with different settings, but I think it's maxed out.

Go super slow and smooth on the trigger. Focus on only using a steady squeeze and don't worry about how much trigger is left. Let it be a surprise when it bottoms out. That'll keep the amps low stop if from cutting.

Go super slow and smooth on the trigger. Focus on only using a steady squeeze and don't worry about how much trigger is left. Let it be a surprise when it bottoms out. That'll keep the amps low stop if from cutting.
Great advice. How would you control the trigger with perfect pass installed?

Just go full throttle and let the module do the work? Or is there still some finger strategy to keep in mind?

Great advice. How would you control the trigger with perfect pass installed?

Just go full throttle and let the module do the work? Or is there still some finger strategy to keep in mind?
Sorry I have no experience with perfect pass.
There should be a way to slow down the the "trigger pull" with it though. There has to be a way to adjust it.
@K-BASH you know how PP delay works?

After adjusting the LVC, punch and thermal cut out, then waiting for the roads to dry, we took it out again to see if we could squeeze out a little more from the MAX10SCT. But no, that's all she had. No matter how smooth I was on the trigger. 131kph was its pb.

Next:
Before investing in a new 6s system, I want to use what I already have at hand. So I've shoehorned in a MAX6 and a 4074 2050kv. Will start on 4s and go from there.
20230612_121811.jpg

Think I'll be ordering those GRP's soon 😆

New pb. 96mph (154kph) on 6s. So close, I can almost smell 100mph. Haven’t reached full throttle yet. Ran out of time and unfortunately I won't get another chance to run it for over a week.
And still on the choons. So exciting.
Screenshot_20230613_153603_GNSS PA.jpg

Last edited:
So decided to get the "J" code rims as suggested above, for the extra rigidity. Only problem is there is only one set in the country on ebay. So no options.

They are white T04 slicks XM3 soft. They were price reduced as I was watching them so I think it was ment to be.

Screenshot_20230626_063951_eBay.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back