Infraction Hawkeye downs speed run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to use a center spool. Any suggestions on oil weight for the differentials?
Good question. A lot of speed runners use diff lockers (at least in front) or really high viscosity fluid to keep the tires from exploding if one comes up from running over a pebble, or a cigarette butt or something. But you’ll actually be turning, albeit very little. IDK. Maybe others will chime in.

I like it!

Might be worth a road trip, God knows I'm not getting on a Boeing Jet. ;)

What's the timing of the event. Bi-annual, annual?
I am not actually sure about the speed run date. I think they have it a couple times in the summer. I will keep this thread updated. Last year it was August. The shorter oval racing will start in about a month.

About the differential oil weight.

I was watching a video and someone used a spool in the center diff. Then 1 million weight up front and the stock 2000 cst in the rear for a speed run car. But they are going in a straight line.
Maybe I’ll start with 500k at first.

A big part of this is to get used to working with the infraction and racing it. The local asphalt RC oval track announced the race schedule for 2024. Every other Saturday night all summer starting April 27. It is an outdoor hot PIT arrangement . Basically pit in the van lining one side of the track.

I have my stock Infraction V2 6s ready to go. I did a custom paint job on the extra body that came with the roller. Don’t want to get mixed up with the other infractions out there.

Still waiting on parts for the speed run car.

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5439.jpeg

Parts are coming in and I am kinda on a budget so from here it’s order stuff every two weeks . Then wait as stuff “goes through the network” and is finally “out for delivery”
Today was the center spool and extra hardware. For twenty bucks I got all the bolts, nuts, shock mounts and pivot pins plus a tool kit .
And I got a center spool.

Then I spent three hours getting it to fit?

All the parts are ready for assembly.
I am probably going to get new diffs. These are a little worn.

So I bought the dual motor mount and it was the inspiration for getting this project going. And it arrives in a nice package and looks great for eighty bucks.
When I mounted it I had to drill one hole and that mounted fine.
When I tried to install the spool the holes would not line up in the chassis plate. And the top plate made the spool bind. The original diff was also tighter than it should and the bearings are worn out .
The front plate was not machined properly. When the tool went in for the bearing recess it chattered and left .040 thousands of an inch of material. I had to go in and machine it using a Dremel tool.
Now the spool bolts in tight and spins super freely.

The race truck first race is April 27

On the race truck I bought batteries and got a charger .
I changed the shocks to the ones from the roller because they have metal tops and bottom parts. Then added new 2000 cst oil.

This thing is a beast on the scales . I am not used to four didget numbers.
I got it kinda even on the scale and that’s a start.

next I need to wire in the brake so the rear lights and front rotors light up when I use the brakes.

IMG_5451.jpeg

IMG_5450.jpeg

IMG_5444.jpeg

IMG_5387.jpeg

More parts came in today.
I got my carbon chassis.
It’s really nice and very stiff.
I put all new bearings in everything. I hit a bit of locktight in the hubs. Stripped the 2.5 Allen. But was able to drill it and get the thread out with a tap from the other side. Bit lucky there. Used heat to get the rest with no problem.

The drivetrain is all mocked up. I am thinking it could use some metal in the differential. The roller came with titanium driveshafts . The aluminum diff gears in a plastic case are a worry.

Waiting for more parts

IMG_5465.jpeg

IMG_5466.jpeg

IMG_5467.jpeg

IMG_5468.jpeg

More parts came in today.
I got my carbon chassis.
It’s really nice and very stiff.
I put all new bearings in everything. I hit a bit of locktight in the hubs. Stripped the 2.5 Allen. But was able to drill it and get the thread out with a tap from the other side. Bit lucky there. Used heat to get the rest with no problem.

The drivetrain is all mocked up. I am thinking it could use some metal in the differential. The roller came with titanium driveshafts . The aluminum diff gears in a plastic case are a worry.

Waiting for more parts

View attachment 358987

View attachment 358988

View attachment 358989

View attachment 358990
You're not messing around!

Things took an immediate turn when I started to assemble the steering. This has been a nagging concern and the first thing I need to address.
Putting the 75x40mm motor facing forward put it straight into the steering servo and hit the linkage at full lock.
So I turned the mount 180 degrees and face the motors backward.
I have to get the hard parts down first before I mount the stuff like batteries and ESC that can be moved to get the balance I need .
This is just a mock up. I am going to get metal diff housings and metal top brace mounts. So I have a solid backbone from axle to axle.

IMG_5470.jpeg

IMG_5469.jpeg

About the differential oil weight.

I was watching a video and someone used a spool in the center diff. Then 1 million weight up front and the stock 2000 cst in the rear for a speed run car. But they are going in a straight line.
Maybe I’ll start with 500k at first.

A big part of this is to get used to working with the infraction and racing it. The local asphalt RC oval track announced the race schedule for 2024. Every other Saturday night all summer starting April 27. It is an outdoor hot PIT arrangement . Basically pit in the van lining one side of the track.

I have my stock Infraction V2 6s ready to go. I did a custom paint job on the extra body that came with the roller. Don’t want to get mixed up with the other infractions out there.

Still waiting on parts for the speed run car.

View attachment 357992

View attachment 357993
Looking good!

Easy for the keys to see, like the bright colors!!! (y)

I am just learning about the driveshaft vibration issue the Infraction V1 has.

My roller came with titanium driveshafts. But I hear they are worse.
I found a spool from a limitless that is longer than the infraction spool and has equal length drive shafts.

Is this a solution to the vibration? Or should I add the bearing support from a V2?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2351553953...AN-NaXSSnq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1258193936...AN-NaXSSnq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I am just learning about the driveshaft vibration issue the Infraction V1 has.

My roller came with titanium driveshafts. But I hear they are worse.
I found a spool from a limitless that is longer than the infraction spool and has equal length drive shafts.

Is this a solution to the vibration? Or should I add the bearing support from a V2?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2351553953...AN-NaXSSnq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1258193936...AN-NaXSSnq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

My V1 driveshafts had a wobble to them that cause the to make a bunch of noise, they are junk.

I'd be cautious of eBay parts with no brand name. Scorched, Perfect Pass are good brands, but they are not cheap.

I went to Perfect Pass CF drive shafts and have had zero problems since.

Got it rolling.
Now to replace most of it

View attachment 359327

Best thing to do is spin it up on blocks and check everything out. The shaft bearing carrier deal was because the V1 rear dog bone would bend. Your Ti bones should be fine.
One thing we have seen is those Safe D outdrive cups on the diffs can be wobbly. Check those out closely.

Balance the tires really good too. All of those things you can catch by putting the car up on blocks and spinning the tires up to a decent rpm.

My V1 driveshafts had a wobble to them that cause the to make a bunch of noise, they are junk.

I'd be cautious of eBay parts with no brand name. Scorched, Perfect Pass are good brands, but they are not cheap.

I went to Perfect Pass CF drive shafts and have had zero problems since.
Thank you for that.
I watched the video explaining the drive shafts and the different configurations.
I am running a V1 set up with the motor reversed.
They are sold out currently. But at least now I can get the correct drive shafts.

I currently have the titanium shafts from scorched earth so maybe they will be OK.

Best thing to do is spin it up on blocks and check everything out. The shaft bearing carrier deal was because the V1 rear dog bone would bend. Your Ti bones should be fine.
One thing we have seen is those Safe D outdrive cups on the diffs can be wobbly. Check those out closely.

Balance the tires really good too. All of those things you can catch by putting the car up on blocks and spinning the tires up to a decent rpm.
Any suggestions on tires.
I have not gone near that rabbit hole.
I am building for a 150 mph curve on a slight banked turn.
Thinking about GRP tires.

Any suggestions on tires.
I have not gone near that rabbit hole.
I am building for a 150 mph curve on a slight banked turn.
Thinking about GRP tires.

I would bring some GRP XX soft
and
BSR XX Pink tires

My concern is the surface there might not behave like a normal street does.

What about reinforcing them with fishing line?
I hear you on the surface. I will have to talk to some people about tire choices and the surface. .

What about reinforcing them with fishing line?
I hear you on the surface. I will have to talk to some people about tire choices and the surface. .

You can look on YT other people have done it with mixed success.

The main difference is when the foams fail, they loose pieces and don't catastrophically explode like the rubber ones.

It's highly unlikely that you will build the car, send it and get to 150 on the first day ... without a huge crash. The GRPs are grippy and will let you get the car dialed in. Then when you start getting some speed then try the foams.

I always check the tires before and after every run for strange wear patterns or damage. Also check the balance when I get home.

If you need an inexpensive balancer, I use this. The only mod is I had to put a 17mm nut on one side to fill the space.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075L78CFS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back