Limitless First speed run ever! Any guidance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I did my first ever speed runs this morning and I am hooked! I'm excited to see how changing the car will affect speeds. My current goal is 100 mph on 3S.

Run 1, battery 1, 1135 ft: 72 mph
Run 2, battery 1, 1100 ft: 71 mph
Run 3, battery 2, 1215 ft: 73 mph

The car tracked straight. Since I have the perfect pass, I just hit full throttle from a stop instead of feathering.

Considering the motor temps were so low, it seems like I simply have to gear up. Do you agree? Any concerns with the amount of voltage sag or anything else in the log or setup?

• Limitless V1 with 32p/30s gearing
  • XLX2 (timing 0, punch control 80%)
  • 1515 2200kv motor
  • CNHL 3S 9.5ah 90C
  • Perfect Pass launch control (max setting)
  • Outside temp was 45F

1696711693639.png

1696711735431.png

Voltage drop is gonna be the bottleneck anyways, don't worry too much about it yet.
Max current is 178.6A, so still plenty of room to gear up.
As long as you do single pulls and let it cool in the meantime you shouldnt need to care much about heat
Yes, I let the motor cool down to ambient temp between runs. Thanks.

I did my first ever speed runs this morning and I am hooked! I'm excited to see how changing the car will affect speeds. My current goal is 100 mph on 3S.

The car tracked straight. Since I have the perfect pass, I just hit full throttle from a stop instead of feathering.

Considering the motor temps were so low, it seems like I simply have to gear up. Do you agree? Any concerns with the amount of voltage sag or anything else in the log or setup?

• 1515 2200kv motor
  • CNHL 3S 9.5ah 90C
  • Outside temp was 45F

View attachment 325698

View attachment 325699
Dude, not too shabby right out of the box and running 3s! Well done! Subbed for your progress, comments, and the inevitable tears. 👍

I need to do a fast n short video on how to pull up just the 10-20 seconds of just the run...theres so much to learn,not just you but so much i still need to learn.but i feed off helping others..ill make a vid tonight on pulling up runs on logs...your setup isnt stressed at all..imagine 1515 would put out 5000w..motor twmp tells all on when motors maxed..usely 160+ an motors about maxed..they just start putting out heat an no more power.....high temps will show weak link in system.my best addvice is be fast to lift if anything isnt right..can always redo a pass..i had the hardest time learning to lift,,if ya don't lift it'll become not enjoyable real fast..good luck

• 1515 2200kv motor
  • CNHL 3S 9.5ah 90C
  • Outside temp was 45F

View attachment 325698

View attachment 325699
Id disable punch an use default timing on castle motors.15 i think. On 3s i gear up till minimal voltage is 10v..anymore than that an youll damage pack..

Last edited:
You speaking from experience?
Yea, I purposely avoided roads with curbs!
Had to give it a rest tho.. it’s too heartbreaking watching all that time and money get destroyed in a matter of seconds. 🥴

I need to do a fast n short video on how to pull up just the 10-20 seconds of just the run...theres so much to learn,not just you but so much i still need to learn.but i feed off helping others..ill make a vid tonight on pulling up runs on logs
Do you mean zooming in on the log? Here's a closeup of my final and fastest run.

There's a bump in the road about 30% of the way in. Not huge, but enough for the car to get maybe half an inch of air. I'd guess that causes the downward spike in the graph.

1696729460120.png

Id disable punch an use default timing on castle motors.15 i think. On 3s i gear up till minimal voltage is 10v..anymore than that an youll damage pack..
What do you mean by disable punch? 100% limited or 0% limited? I'll try running the timing at the default 10 degrees. Thanks.

Do you mean zooming in on the log? Here's a closeup of my final and fastest run.

There's a bump in the road about 30% of the way in. Not huge, but enough for the car to get maybe half an inch of air. I'd guess that causes the downward spike in the graph.

View attachment 325786

What do you mean by disable punch? 100% limited or 0% limited? I'll try running the timing at the default 10 degrees. Thanks.
Turn on your throttle(black line an your rpms...if rpms flatten out like on this 131/3s log you know thats all that gearing will give you..

20231007_205750.jpg

Screenshot_20231007_210248_Photos.jpg

Looking good, turn on ripple voltage to see if you have any issues. Should be a max of 10%.

The road will kill you, if you gear up that little bump will be the end of your build.

Crashs will happen,and alot.lol..can be very frustrating yet very rewarding.speedrunning is very expensive but if your hooked to the rush,speed,sound than its priceless..believe me when i say ,,,ive spent alot more doing way dumber shiot it my younger days..heres a curb at 70mph btw😅🤣😂😂😂😅😅

20211019_175029.jpg

20211019_175042.jpg

Turn on your throttle(black line an your rpms...if rpms flatten out like on this 131/3s log you know thats all that gearing will give you..

View attachment 325787

View attachment 325788
Thanks. I’ll do that.
Looking good, turn on ripple voltage to see if you have any issues. Should be a max of 10%.

The road will kill you, if you gear up that little bump will be the end of your build.
Max ripple was .48V. Should be good there.

Yeah I’m a little worried about that bump in the road. Guess I’ll go looking for a different spot. Thanks.

What’s the benefit of only using 3S when you have a plenty capable 6S system? Throw another 3S battery in it and just go 100mph right away, then gear up with lower voltage. Gonna need a lot more room to push that car 100mph on 11V

It’s like bragging you ran a quarter mile with 3 spark plug wires pulled on a v6, doesn’t really make sense to me… 🤷‍♂️

What’s the benefit of only using 3S when you have a plenty capable 6S system? Throw another 3S battery in it and just go 100mph right away, then gear up with lower voltage. Gonna need a lot more room to push that car 100mph on 11V

It’s like bragging you ran a quarter mile with 3 spark plug wires pulled on a v6, doesn’t really make sense to me… 🤷‍♂️
Most everyone does that,including myself when i got into it..i was all 8s an it was a complete shiot show..nasty,expensive crashs an i didnt really learn anything about making car more efficient. Was very expensive way for me to learn...i prefer 2-4s because you see what changes work an don't much easier the lower v ya run.learn to go fast on 2s an youll be faster accross the board.just did my 1st 6s hit in months...go pro completely dead so no footage from hits today.

Screenshot_20231008_101441_GNSS PA.jpg

20231008_101500.jpg

20231008_102002.jpg

I’m not saying he needs to go 150 or even 120mph. Provided you have ample tires and steering trim, the 1/7 infraction/limitless road platforms will easily go 100mph straight and smooth. Then with castle’s sensor also be extremely controllable, and perfect pass just needs a little setup for the distance curve. It’d be different for a guy buying his first hobby grade RC, then absolutely start smaller scale.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back