Help me chose an iron!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this one..is good 👍🏼
+1
Hacko also makes a decent soldering station also.
Not all the AMZ stuff is Garbage.
Knowing what you are looking at is key here.
Need a large blunt tip to solder Lipo Connectors, FWIW. Many only come with fine pencil tips. Might need to buy that separately. One that is the correct fit to the model /Brand you have. Food for thought. Make sure to Pre-Tin any new soldering tip. Look to videos in regards.

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1UGL9HXJUMJ5R&keywords=hacko&qid=1693583414&s=hi&sprefix=hicko,tools,121&sr=1-4

I find with the larger guage wire most irons I have tried are just not hot enough. With soldering it is good to get in and out as fast as possible. I am thinking about trying a wedge tip 100w+ iron at some point.

I find with the larger guage wire most irons I have tried are just not hot enough. With soldering it is good to get in and out as fast as possible. I am thinking about trying a wedge tip 100w+ iron at some point.
When I solder QS8’s I crank the temp all the way up on mine, which is over 800°. It sounds absurd, but like you said, it’s better to get in and out in a hurry, and that extra heat accomplishes that goal.
A 100w iron would probably get you up there as well?

I picked up this one recently at a local Ace Hardware.
its fine. I like the LEDs. But like most of these, doesn't get hot enough, Fast enough. but some of them get too hot for light electronics applications.

Weller 60W/120V

This is the one I wanted but they didn't have it and I was impatient.

Weller Digital Soldering Station with 70W Precision Iron

You really need a soldering iron that gets to 900 degrees. This will do all you rc soldering needs.
I bought this from Amazon in 2019 . Has not lit me down yet. I looked up the company and they make some nice stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Te...ocphy=9067609&hvtargid=pla-833456176746&psc=1
16940906883424779478330816498745.jpg
16940907420587274788339385826470.jpg

Last edited:
I notice alot of guys decribe the watts with an Iron. I feel Temps are the best way to judge an iron better. It's the actual temp output of a soldering iron that matters in reality. An Iron's Watt rating does not garranty its sustainable temps.
I am usually at 750F+ as a minimum for large gage soldering. Just like @Dan B. stated, 800F.
Yeah the best soldering joints are done in a quick fashion with high temps. If you have to linger with the iron at a joint for too long to get solder"Flowing", they are usually not your best solder joints. And the iron is probably not suited for the gage you are soldering.:cool:

I notice alot of guys decribe the watts with an Iron. I feel Temps are the best way to judge an iron better. It's the actual temp output of a soldering iron that matters in reality. An Iron's Watt rating does not garranty its sustainable temps.
I am usually at 750F+ as a minimum for large gage soldering. Just like @Dan B. stated, 800F.
Yeah the best soldering joints are done in a quick fashion with high temps. If you have to linger with the iron at a joint for too long to get solder"Flowing", they are usually not your best solder joints. And the iron is probably not suited for the gage you are soldering.:cool:
Cold solder joint bad,bad,bad🤦‍♂️ This coast me a 6 month💨💨💨💥🧑‍🚒 old max 10🫠🤬

Yeah, a "cold looking joint" ( not enough heat) looks Dull. A tell tale visible sign.
A Shiny joint is what you need and want. Only a Hot enough Iron will help in this regard.

I bought this one a couple of years ago and it has not let me down yet.
75 watts at almost 900 degrees F. I can solder 6s battery plugs with it.
1694098592627.jpeg

I bought this one a couple of years ago and it has not let me down yet.
75 watts at almost 900 degrees F. I can solder 6s battery plugs with it.
View attachment 321074
That’s exactly what I have as well, and it’s been fantastic. For QS8’s I go 800-850°, but the iron itself can go over 900° and maintains/reheats very quickly. Certainly no complaints here, especially for the price.

I have a couple soldering stations that can get to 800 degrees F but I find on those heavy duty connection the temperature drops even with a larger mass tip and cannot sustain those higher temps.

I believe this is where the raw power can help with a larger heating element.

I have a couple soldering stations that can get to 800 degrees F but I find on those heavy duty connection the temperature drops even with a larger mass tip and cannot sustain those higher temps.

I believe this is where the raw power can help with a larger heating element.
I have found that if I use a heat gun (glorified hair blow drier) to heat up the connector and any connecting wires prior to my soldering it goes much quicker.
The wires and attached connectors usually suck up the heat when I solder, not to mention it can get down in the 30's and 40's in my garage in the winter.

It's always good to wipe the solder joint of any excess Flux that remains with a solvent. Exposing a nice shiny joint. Flux is acidic and works against your joint. Whether using a separate Flux or what Flux remains from the Rosin core of the solder.
Flux is just a catalyst for a good clean joint contact during the soldering process. Some of it burns off, yet some remains. What remains can ruin the wires over time because it wicks into the wire strands, during soldering, making them brittle. Been there.
Just a good soldering habit to get into.:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back