Granite Help me finish my Xtreme Granite 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Most of the regulars in this section know me and my build by now. I went through a lot of trial and error to get my Granite to where it is today. I tried 3 ESC/motor combos:

Castle SW4/1406-4600Kv-maginal on 2s, no good on 3s (massive heat issues)
Castle Mamba X/1410-3800Kv - good on 2s, thermal shutdown on 3s
Castle MambaX/1512-2650Kv - current set up.

I also went through numerous slipper clutch/spur gear designs:

Stock spur and pinion - actually held up on the 1406-4600Kv motor with 2s
Yeti conversion 17t/56t 32p - no issues, but insanely fast on on the 1410-3800Kv motor (53 mph!).
Custom dual slipper hub with Arrma AR310782 57T 32p Spur with 11t, 13t and 17t pinions (current set up)

I have done more HD input gear mods than I care to remember, lol. I upgraded the steering servo to a waterproof Savox 0231MG. I also bought Traxxas 12mm wheel adapters and I run Pro-Line Trenchers.

I have finally dialed everything in to where I have a 1/10 scale beast of a MT. The 1512 Castle motor runs cool enough and the 17/57 32p gearing is perfect for 3s. I need to run some serious punch control so I don't destroy the diff pinion gears and I lowered the braking strength to 40% (again to save the diff pinions).

So this brings me to the last area I want to address: shocks. I haven't really had an issue with the stock shocks but as I push the limits further and further I feel like I need a good set of aluminum shocks to absorb the punishment I am starting to dish out (skate park jumps 25+ feet high). I want something I can just order and screw into place. I don't want to make spacers, etc. Just plug and go. Give me your recommendations and preferably a link to order them. Once I have a decent set of shocks I feel like I will have the ultimate Xtreme 1/10 Granite 4x4! Thanks!

Last edited:
I haven't done the Typhon mod myself, I went with the HSP aluminium 1/8 scale shocks, and then modded them to suit re length, etc.

There are a few here running the Typhon shocks, just can't remember exactly who off the top of my head.

Remember mine is a Senton, so its a lot more finicky re ride height/spring rate than the Granite , some have just bolted the HSP's on the Granite directly at their standard length/spring rates.

I run the Typhon shocks in the Senton. You'll need spacers in the eyelets on the top of each shock. I also put spacers on the lower front shocks, between the arm and shock, to minimize rubbing of the spring on the front driveshaft. I also put 20wt oil in.

I went shock shopping today. Found an exact match for the front, but the rear was difficult to match. They were either too short or too long. The closest I could come were 5" shocks for the rear. They were about 10mm over stock. Both sets were Pro-Lines and would have cost over $100. I decided to take a pass for now. I'll keep looking.

I'M hoping the a-arms are strong,, cause I drilled new holes and moved the bottoms out for the HSP shocks ,,On the old one's I crushed a bottom junk thing on purpose to see if a guy could thread it for another Ball end on ,,,That's all the further I got ,,,been so busy,,,

I did 50 wt. front,, 40 rear ,, But my shocks have more angle than stock.

Nice build Ed! What is that spur gear from?
It looks to be discontinued most places.

I am not sure what vehicle it was intended for. I just saw some other guy used it for the mod and I followed suit. I was able to get them from a seller in Amazon.

Cool. Do you have a thread on the conversion?

I don’t. I saw it on Facebook and all he did was list the parts he used. It’s a lot of dremmel work. When I get some time I will show you how I did it.

Well I still haven’t sorted the shocks but the stock ones seem to be doing the job. I service them every 8 packs or so. They are always down a bit on shock oil but it doesn’t surprise me since I jump it constantly. I have a shock rebuild kit in my parts bin as well.

So I added the steering turnbuckles and the center driveshaft support. The body was near to snot so I bought a new one for shelf duty. Here she is after a complete tear down and cleaning:

A380E633-1243-440C-89F9-B5E11CBB73A3.jpeg
BED94C67-6FE4-428B-A1B3-B6D26630F588.jpeg
402793C5-D5E3-4EBE-8528-DF22D401C8E5.jpeg
D6A6DE45-2FFB-4759-AE06-1C4105704FEC.jpeg
2BA84052-7298-42DA-B2CD-D64F5CDD64FF.jpeg
FE36031D-0BD6-4D20-A2ED-AADBD9A0DE5A.jpeg

You must have either bought a new body or you're not doing it right. I believe mine is currently more dry wall patch and shoe goo than lexan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back