Vorteks Driving my Vorteks 4x4 on the beach? Please help answer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may sound like a bit of a stretch at the moment, but my advice would be to get a cheap beater rig for your beach trips. Something that you don't care about rust and wear & tear from the sand and salt. Fine beach sand will do a number on the bearings & gears. The salt is also pretty corrosive over time. If you do insist on taking the Vortex, be sure to clean it up as best you can with Fresh water & lubricant after every trip. Good luck 👍

This may sound like a bit of a stretch at the moment, but my advice would be to get a cheap beater rig for your beach trips. Something that you don't care about rust and wear & tear from the sand and salt. Fine beach sand will do a number on the bearings & gears. The salt is also pretty corrosive over time. If you do insist on taking the Vortex, be sure to clean it up as best you can with Fresh water & lubricant after every trip. Good luck 👍
Thanks!

You have no choice but to rinse it with fresh water. Salt is killer. I would at least Start running SS BB's after the first set are all rusted out. Stocker Chroimium BB's rust out in a heartbeat. I clean out my Crawler BB's when new, and use fresh marine grease instead. it's salt water resistant as greases go. They will still rust at some point, later than sooner.
I go through Streams, snow blizzards ,hiking through mud and all for like 5+ miles on a 3s pack. Surely Fun. But no matter what, they will cost a bit more $$ and requires maintenance more often. the electrics are what is really going to bite you in the pocket, They are not WP. If you just stay in sand, you will deal with sand penetration throughout the drive train.(n) Salt air alone, is corrosive as well.

>>>If you live by the beach you learn to deal with it. We have to deal with what places we have for our RC's.
Need to have a realistic expectation, no surprises, and you are good. The sand is fun. Especially with paddles.
:cool:
edited.

Last edited:
I live in Santa Barbara and will absolutely not take any of these machines to the beach. Not worth the trouble. One giant inadvertent splash of sand and salt water and you need to tear that thing completely down.

The Amazon Haiboxing $120 16890a and other 16889/16890sa variants come with paddle tires and should do ok (outside of Destin Florida sugary sand which it might sink in). They are cheap enough that it's nbd if it breaks but it actually is hobby grade if you feel like trying to clean it and keeping it maintained properly. With the paddle tires that thing would absolutely rip.

I agree I would NOT want to use anything that costs real money in beach sand. You know once it starts crunching and breaking down even further it'll NEVER come out lol

Just like with 1:1 scale recreational vehicles on the beach, sand and salt truly does a number on you. Requires much more maintenance and $$.
More Fun=more money. It's a personal choice. Enjoy whatever you do.

More of a story than any real advice....
I took my Granite and Rustler to the beach (Port Aransas, TX) back in April and ran them a few times. Then came home and threw them back on the shelf. I may have blown the loose stuff off with the air compressor. Some of the links on the Rustler have light surface rust, but nothing catastrophic has happened yet.

My 2 simple rules for beach/sand driving:

1. Do it. There is nothing like seeing massive roosts of sand, hitting dunes, jumps, etc. It is awesome!

2. Never touch saltwater. No damp sand, no driving near the water's edge, of course no driving in the ocean itself.

Bonus rule: always vent your tires not your wheels. A lot of wheel/tire combos come with vent holes on the inner surfaces of the wheels, and this will create allow HUGE amounts of sand into your tires. You need to seal those up with tape or glue, and vent the outer carcass of the tires.

Will you have to perform some additional maintenance? Most likely yes. I don't think it will cost an arm and a leg (gearing in the voreks is 32p if I recall, which can handle sand). If you drive in sand a lot, you will need some new bearings at some point. Worth it in my book! I drive almost all of my rigs on the sand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back