Help with Broken Screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upTheIrons453

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Any suggestions for how to solve this one? Even if I cut it with the dremel, that screw's going to be stuck in there. I'm trying to avoid having to buy another ball & wait another week for a replacement tie-rod end or whatever it's called.

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

Question: Is there threadlock applied to the screw? If yes, temporary or permanent? Use direct heat if you choose the remove the broken screw.

Question: Is the screw passing through from one end to another? If yes, use a Vise-Grip to SLOWLY loosen it.

There are two choices:
(A) Cut a slot along the center axis of the remaining screw and slowly remove the itwith a flat screw driver, or,
(B) Replace the entire assembly with new one.

Honestly, I don’t waste time with repairs unless it’s a high-dollar or VHTF item, which this is neither as you have TWO in the bag.

Question: Is there threadlock applied to the screw? If yes, temporary or permanent? Use direct heat if you choose the remove the broken screw.

Question: Is the screw passing through from one end to another? If yes, use a Vise-Grip to SLOWLY loosen it.

There are two choices:
(A) Cut a slot along the center axis of the remaining screw and slowly remove the itwith a flat screw driver, or,
(B) Replace the entire assembly with new one.

Honestly, I don’t waste time with repairs unless it’s a high-dollar or VHTF item, which this is neither as you have TWO in the bag.
yeah thanks…ur right; just bums me out that i ordered the little ball only & there‘s a big bash session tomorrow i want to attend…one of those times when a nearby hobby shop stocking spares would still be useful…unfortunately last few times i tried that they offered to order one for me at double the price & time it’d be to order myself. hell maybe i’ll give it a try.

I'd knock the pivot ball out of the plastic rod end so I could use some heat on the pivot ball. Hold the pivot ball with pliers (at the flat portions), grab the exposed end of the broken screw with pliers or vice grips, and thread it the rest of the way through..seems pretty simple to me? Take ur time, should only need to replace the broken screw.

Are those new pivot balls in the bag in the background? Just pop the bad one out put a new one in and call it a day. There is no need to get new rods ends.

Thanks for all the tips! I couldn't get the pivot ball out of there & decided to just order a few of those and the rod end. All in for about $25 I think, and well worth avoiding the hassle and likely damage to another part of the truck or likely to myself if heat or significant force were required. If y'all saw the landing & height of the jump, you'd be surprised that's all that broke. Tough truck.

I use a socket that's bigger than the pivot ball and lines up with the diameter of the rod end. A gentle tap O' da hammer and..presto. Comes from necessity..eventually you have to start banging things apart for reuse..well, I do anyway. Cuz I'm always broke. LOL

Back