Help with supports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 6s
Hi,

I'm pretty happy with how i have my 3d printer set up in almost every way, except supports.

I just can't seem to get the settings dialed in correctly. I will either end up with a part thats fused together where i have to damage the print to separate the support or supports which don't support enough or leave a load of support material fused to the underside of the print.

I was hoping some one can point me in the direction of what i should be adjusting in my settings. At the moment the support settings are on standard Cura settings for "Generic PLA" with support density at 10%.

I Printed off 8 pieces, altering z distance and interface density %.

The best result looks like 0.4mm with interface density of 60%. Even then it toook a lot of force with a knife between the two parts to seperate them.

Are there some other settings i should be looking at altering in order to get a better finish on the underside while still being able to remove the support structure without having to physically fight the print?

Thanks for any help.

PXL_20240120_201132180.MP.jpg

Hi,

I'm pretty happy with how i have my 3d printer set up in almost every way, except supports.

I just can't seem to get the settings dialed in correctly. I will either end up with a part thats fused together where i have to damage the print to separate the support or supports which don't support enough or leave a load of support material fused to the underside of the print.

I was hoping some one can point me in the direction of what i should be adjusting in my settings. At the moment the support settings are on standard Cura settings for "Generic PLA" with support density at 10%.

I Printed off 8 pieces, altering z distance and interface density %.

The best result looks like 0.4mm with interface density of 60%. Even then it toook a lot of force with a knife between the two parts to seperate them.

1. What Printer/model are you printing from?
2. What version of Cura using?
3. What is your current print layer height?
4. What brand of PLA are you using?
5. What's your nozzle temperature?
6. At what speed are you printing your parts?
7. Parts Cooling turned on? What speed percentage??

Answer these first.

I have several more questions to follow based on your answers.

Are there some other settings i should be looking at altering in order to get a better finish on the underside while still being able to remove the support structure without having to physically fight the print?

Thanks for any help.

View attachment 343634

By your examples above,
I can already see a major problem that's causing your supports issue.

1. Creality E3 S1 pro
2. Cura 5.2.2
3. 0.2
4. Jayo PLA+
5. 200c print, 60c bed
6. 50 print speed, 25 wall speed
7. On, 100%

Okay.

First major issue I saw was your-
Support X/Y Distance ,it looks to be right up against your printed parts.

I would highly suggest you give it some elbow room (for a part that small) ,set it to at least =
2.0mm

AND
Adjust these settings: (at the same time as the above.)

Support Density = 20%

Support Z Distance = 0.21

Support Interface Thickness = 0.8

What is your
8. Support Interface Density set at?
9. Support Roof Density?
10. Support Speed?

Support interface thickness is 0.8

I will adjust the other settings you suggest

8 and 9 are linked, when i change the Interface density it changes the roof and floor to that setting. In the picture in the first post i tested at 3 different interface densities, the stock 33%, 60% and 85%, best results seeming to come around 60%
10. Support speed is 25

Thanks for all the help.

This was the result of the updated settings.

PXL_20240121_184152842.MP.jpg

Wasn't easy to separate, required a decent amount of downwards pressure with a knife while on a hard surface.

Would this be considered good or acceptable results, i'm not really sure the quality of other peoples support surfaces.

This was the result of the updated settings.

View attachment 343708

Wasn't easy to separate, required a decent amount of downwards pressure with a knife while on a hard surface.

Would this be considered good or acceptable results, i'm not really sure the quality of other peoples support surfaces.

Send me that part and I'll print it here and show you my results..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back