Hey yall i need your opinion on this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite Grom
  3. Kraton 6s
So i am in the market for a 1/5 scale and well i did not want a traxxas because well i don't like to overpay for bad stuff and i don't want a kraton or outcast because i love arrma but there 1/5 scales break really easily so i think i'm going to go with the dbxl-e 2.0. please give me your opinion on this if you want. another thing to add is i'm in high school so cant afford super crazy upgrades

Love my dibby! It’s an expensive truck to maintain though. The bulkheads and chassis braces are the big one on these things. Apparently they flex too much and cause problems destroying the diffs afaik. So far I’ve only busted the diff mount. The permanent fix ain’t cheap tho. About $180 for one Vitavon bulkhead. My trucks don’t get babied, I launch it like all the rest.

Last edited:
Traxxas X-MAXX is built like a tank. Don't know why you'd not want one.
well i used to really like traxxas and only tarxxas but then i see that they have prices that are way higher then there capabilities and i think of them as the apple company of rc hobby now i don't hate there 1/5 scales its just im kinda a sucker for them nice shiny metal chassis

well i used to really like traxxas and only tarxxas but then i see that they have prices that are way higher then there capabilities and i think of them as the apple company of rc hobby now i don't hate there 1/5 scales its just im kinda a sucker for them nice shiny metal chassis

The metal chassis is not always the best thing.

Screenshot_20240201_050814_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240201_050937_Chrome.jpg

The metal chassis is not always the best thing.

View attachment 346023

View attachment 346024
Yeah i know the costs can be pretty pricey for them metal chassis but the thing is the dbxl 2.0 has a duel chassis in it the main one is like 4mm thick and the hardware one is another 3mm thick so i think she can handle quite a beating. another thing to add is i don't really need a 1/5scale extreme basher because i already plan on making my kraton 6s a bullet proof beast so i don't think i really need a xmaxx or Xrt. also if i got a new traxxas i would have to pay for there overpriced batts that i just really have no care for

You do realize that you just said you want a durable 1/5 scale, but then quickly dismissed the two most eligible options in the market that meet that criteria -- O8s/K8s and Xmaxx?

Honestly, you state that being in highschool you wont have tons of funds for upgrades (or spare parts, i might add). So I might suggest that something in the $1000+ range just isn't the right call for you right now. But that's just my two cents.

Yeah i know the costs can be pretty pricey for them metal chassis but the thing is the dbxl 2.0 has a duel chassis in it the main one is like 4mm thick and the hardware one is another 3mm thick so i think she can handle quite a beating. another thing to add is i don't really need a 1/5scale extreme basher because i already plan on making my kraton 6s a bullet proof beast so i don't think i really need a xmaxx or Xrt. also if i got a new traxxas i would have to pay for there overpriced batts that i just really have no care for

You don't need Traxxas batteries for any Traxxas car. Every single seller of batteries has an option for every Traxxas car, it would be stupid of them to not make batteries for the highest selling brand on the market. It would be like Goodyear not making tires for Toyota.

Ditch the Traxxas connectors, toss some XT90s on the esc and run whatever battery fits in the tray.

I agree with most of what's already been said. 1/5 on a part time (HS) budget probably isn't the wisest choice. If you're dead set on a 1/5, the Xmaxx or XRT will be the cheapest to own and maintain I believe. With stock electronics, you can easily get away with cheap batteries too. I bought a pair of 4s Socokin 6500's off amazon for $62!! Now they are cheap batteries, likely won't hold up to the v2 Arrma 8s or DBXL needs, but I don't care. They work great in an Xmaxx (or XRT). The DBXL will undoubtedly be the most expensive to keep going if you bash with it. It's really more track oriented from what I've seen. If you keep things civil, I'm sure it's fantastic. Have you already budgeted the K6 upgrades? One thing at a time will make life much easier, just my opinions. Good luck brother!😎

I agree with most of what's already been said. 1/5 on a part time (HS) budget probably isn't the wisest choice. If you're dead set on a 1/5, the Xmaxx or XRT will be the cheapest to own and maintain I believe. With stock electronics, you can easily get away with cheap batteries too. I bought a pair of 4s Socokin 6500's off amazon for $62!! Now they are cheap batteries, likely won't hold up to the v2 Arrma 8s or DBXL needs, but I don't care. They work great in an Xmaxx (or XRT). The DBXL will undoubtedly be the most expensive to keep going if you bash with it. It's really more track oriented from what I've seen. If you keep things civil, I'm sure it's fantastic. Have you already budgeted the K6 upgrades? One thing at a time will make life much easier, just my opinions. Good luck brother!😎

This is my problem, I get halfway through one build then start on another then the next thing I know I have like 5 cars half tore apart 😂

Just warning you i got those batts and the cells just died after about 6 uses. Would not personally reccomend sococin ever again.

This is my problem, I get halfway through one build then start on another then the next thing I know I have like 5 cars half tore apart 😂
I say it cuz I know it's true..I'm almost always guilty of not taking my own advice. LOL
In other words, I have at least 3 or more rigs that are in some state of disrepair 😔
Also why I have over a dozen to choose from!!😉🤣🤣
Just warning you i got those batts and the cells just died after about 6 uses. Would not personally reccomend sococin ever again.
I'm well past 6 cycles. I know what you mean though. It's happened to me with other brands. Bottom line is most all the brands on amazon are the same crap shoot with a different wrapper. Sometimes we win..

I say it cuz I know it's true..I'm almost always guilty of not taking my own advice. LOL
In other words, I have at least 3 or more rigs that are in some state of disrepair 😔
Also why I have over a dozen to choose from!!😉🤣🤣

I'm well past 6 cycles. I know what you mean though. It's happened to me with other brands. Bottom line is most all the brands on amazon are the same crap shoot with a different wrapper. Sometimes we win..
I'm well into 30-40 cycles or more on my original socokin 6s 4000 and maybe 10 cycles each on the two new of those same packs i got. No issues to report.

I'm well into 30-40 cycles or more on my original socokin 6s 4000 and maybe 10 cycles each on the two new of those same packs i got. No issues to report.
Luck of the draw I believe. Same with the Zeee's, Sypom, Goldbat, Ovonics.. I admit I've had more luck with battery gambling than cash lotto.😜

Last edited:
Get an xmaxx. Depends what ur willing to pay and how much ur going to Willing to fix and upgrade to make it durable if its not durable enough to ur liking. Thats only you who can determine that

I'm definitely not suggesting the Arrma or Losi 8s aren't durable, they are, but cost of ownership in stock form, I have to give TRX the nod. Just me. 🤷‍♂️

Back