Hobbywing Max8 Upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy Bushman

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
Guys, I have an opportunity to pick up a Max8 at a good price (effectively $116 in USD which is pretty good here). I haven't had any plans to upgrade the stock electronics in my V3 Kraton but no doubt at some point I will want more power.

So my question is, is the Max8 a good upgrade from the stock BLX185? I've been through the forum and clearly, the Max8 is a reasonably good ESC, but if I was to say "How much better?" would the answer be 10%, 20%, more% or much the same?

*Note the Max8 would sit in the cupboard until I found a suitable motor to match it with.

Last edited:
No experience with the max 8, but I have a max 6. The motor I'm running is the Hobbystar 4092 1480kv. I think the biggest difference I noticed was the smoothness to the power delivery, it seemed to be less abrupt, but instant, I guess more linear or something. It seemed to be more controllable through the range. It wasn't night and day in terms of speed or power. I can barely control the stock electronics let along much more power. I'm sure you'll appreciate it, but it's not going to complete you.

Thanks guys sound like there is some value (LVC and settings), but at this stage not $116 USD worth so I will keep my money for the day when I look to upgrade my motor as well.

Thanks guys sound like there is some value (LVC and settings), but at this stage not $116 USD worth so I will keep my money for the day when I look to upgrade my motor as well.
I think if your going to replace it, you should go with the max6. Then your getting the ability to adjust more stuff and able to handle more power as well. Get a bit more bang for your buck that way.

I picked up a spare castle MMv2 (traxxas mxl-6s) off ebay pretty cheap just to have on hand in case my blx185 died. Had read from @Peeeenuuutt I think that it's supposed to be pretty solid.

I think if your going to replace it, you should go with the max6. Then your getting the ability to adjust more stuff and able to handle more power as well. Get a bit more bang for your buck that way.

I picked up a spare castle MMv2 (traxxas mxl-6s) off ebay pretty cheap just to have on hand in case my blx185 died. Had read from @Peeeenuuutt I think that it's supposed to be pretty solid.
Very solid. I’ve had one last 6 years and I actually kept in touch with someone from a different forum whose going on 7 years, he actually cracked the case and all!! Not waterproof anymore because of the cracks in the case but man it’s still ripping on 6 cell lipo... pretty sure it’s in an axial yeti xl nowdays.

If you get the Max6 pick up about 6 spare fans, lol ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back