Kraton Track Kraton Build for Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primarrma

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
Hey guys I've been a little quiet lately due to work commitments, but I've had a chance to do some work this weekend on a little project.

I thought I'd try and build a Kraton purely setup for the track I drive at for fun with my Dad and some friends.

This might not look special and it isn't really, but it's been made entirely from spare parts I had(the shock towers and chassis I bought new because I really wanted to set this thing up properly).

I have build the whole thing up from scratch and replaced all the fluids with a track setup. I've installed minimal upgrades, but were I think I'll get the best performance I've changed things. Every bearing has been replaced along with seals on the diffs and gearbox cases. The motor mount and diff mount, metal balls on the shock rod ends(pistons changes out as well). I wanted to keep the weight down so I tried to leave some bits off, where they aren't needed. Still have a bit to do, I'm going to get a new body to paint this week and finished the initial setup.

I hope this wasn't a waste of time, but it was fun building it. It is so wet down here that I don't know when I'll get to test it out. If the setup works I'll post up all my fluid weights and shock setup. I'm going to try and run it on 4s if it's not too slow.

20190623_142739-01.jpeg
20190623_144221-01.jpeg

You doing this stuff with your dad is big. It's been a goal of mine to accomplish the same and I've really enjoyed your last shows. I've also been sending to my dad (who watches youtube too often) lol
The truck looks very clean and with diff gaskets and bearings done, you have only the easy stuff left. ??

Sweet build, wondering where you been. Nah bro, its not a waste of time. I think for the track 4s would be good provided by keeping the weight down. Keep us informed, and when its sorted out, shoot us a track vid.

Fun project for sure. What diff oil weights are you going to run and what tyres are you thinking? Are you going to run on the Henry Lawson track?

So I wasn't going to share the fluids that I used till it was tested, but seeing as @Lazy Bushman asked here we go.

So I've gone for a setup to maximise traction, the track at Henry Lawson is very loose and bumpy. Everything is setup soft sway bars and suspension.

Diff Oils

Front 7k Center 10k Rear 3k

I'll be running stock gearing in the diffs, I have shimmed the diffs and the wheel hexes. To start I've gone with a 16t pinion(I wanted to start with 14t but I can't find mine, thus reason for the fans).

Shock Oils

Front 35 wt with #13 piston

Rear 32.5 wt with #12 piston

This will be a good starting point I think, I can easily change things after a few runs. I'm looking for good turn in and this setup should be very responsive.

The tyres I've chosen are the Proline Blockade Truggy set.
I'm not a fan of the V3 Kraton body with the racing tyres, I'm going to use a Truggy body shell from a race kit car to finish it off, the shell is too wide and high, it looks good with large wheels.

This one is ready for my Phoenix build of my old Kraton.

20190623_210152-01.jpeg
20190623_210017-01.jpeg
20190623_210315-01.jpeg
20190623_205915-01.jpeg
20190623_205938-01.jpeg
20190623_205843-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I think guys runthe original Talion on the track as it is to spec. (V3 Kraton and Talion May be too wide for race spec. If the track even cares...) It’s basically what you have but slightly skinnier with the talion hubs, hexes and axles.
Great looking truggy, have fun and let us know how it does. Thanks for posting this and all the great videos...
Jim

I think guys runthe original Talion on the track as it is to spec. (V3 Kraton and Talion May be too wide for race spec. If the track even cares...) It’s basically what you have but slightly skinnier with the talion hubs, hexes and axles.
Great looking truggy, have fun and let us know how it does. Thanks for posting this and all the great videos...
Jim
I was wondering about that too, I was thinking it might be worth running Talion hubs and hexes, I have them there ready to go, I might fit them and see if it looks better?

I'm thinking of running a Mugen body for this, I don't like the look of the stock body with these wheels.

Nobody will most likely care about spec unless you start winning.... These days I think they will be glad you come to race and add to the field.
Where I race it's not governed it's a blood sport, biggest hardest car you can drive is best. We race against buggies, short course trucks, some dude even tried racing his 1/5 scale petrol car, it was awful. We run a mix of nitro vs electric, it's really just come and play.

The best cars I have on this track are my Nitro TLR 8ight Truggys, so I tried to base my setup on them, the power is different though, so I'll see how it goes. We're have had and are still having a lot of rain so it won't be for weeks and weeks ?. I guess it gives me time to work in the garage.

Where I race it's not governed it's a blood sport, biggest hardest car you can drive is best. We race against buggies, short course trucks, some dude even tried racing his 1/5 scale petrol car, it was awful. We run a mix of nitro vs electric, it's really just come and play.

The best cars I have on this track are my Nitro TLR 8ight Truggys, so I tried to base my setup on them, the power is different though, so I'll see how it goes. We're have had and are still having a lot of rain so it won't be for weeks and weeks ?. I guess it gives me time to work in the garage.
Find some people and do a mud race. ?

I was wondering about that too, I was thinking it might be worth running Talion hubs and hexes, I have them there ready to go, I might fit them and see if it looks better?

I'm thinking of running a Mugen body for this, I don't like the look of the stock body with these wheels.

Which Mugen body? Is it MBX8T?
I've seen a Punisher on the Talion and Bulldog.

It's coming along well, though I'm not as happy with this body as I was the last one from lead finger, the proportions are good, but the body was twisted out of the mold so it needed a little tweaking to get it to fit nicely. I love the look of the wing, I hope it's tough.

I finished putting the Talion hubs and axles on, to reduce the width a bit. Though the race kit truggys are still a few centimetres narrower. It's stance is looking good and the body suits the wheel size better I think.

A few more images, before the paint goes on...

20190629_194544-01.jpeg
20190629_194517-01.jpeg
20190629_194344-01.jpeg
20190629_194450-01.jpeg
20190629_194403-01.jpeg
20190629_194423-01.jpeg

20190629_194315-01.jpeg
20190629_194237-01.jpeg
20190629_194254-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Any update on how this played out on the track? How did it compare to your Losi gas Truggys? I love the look, and have considered running smaller wheels/tires on my Kraton. I’m running the MBX8T body currently but with the backflip tires. I want more truggy type out of the Kraton I think.

I have a HoBao Hyper SS Truggy, but it’s only on a 4S Orion setup - so not sure if I should swap out the 4S setup for a 6S and call it good, or swap over the Kraton.

Any update on how this played out on the track? How did it compare to your Losi gas Truggys? I love the look, and have considered running smaller wheels/tires on my Kraton. I’m running the MBX8T body currently but with the backflip tires. I want more truggy type out of the Kraton I think.

I have a HoBao Hyper SS Truggy, but it’s only on a 4S Orion setup - so not sure if I should swap out the 4S setup for a 6S and call it good, or swap over the Kraton.
It worked out great, I was competitive against some dedicated race Truggys, but the level I drive at I think it doesn't matter. I only run 4s and it's plenty. The car is a little vaig in setup due to slack in components, but it was a joy to drive. Good luck with what you decide to do.

It worked out great, I was competitive against some dedicated race Truggys, but the level I drive at I think it doesn't matter. I only run 4s and it's plenty. The car is a little vaig in setup due to slack in components, but it was a joy to drive. Good luck with what you decide to do.
Any tips for someone looking to try something similar with the 4s kraton?
I’m looking to change the wing so when it does inadvertently flip it doesn’t gouge out too much of the track. The current wing just jacks up dirt like a shovel.

I just got some duratrax x-cons for it so the tires should be a big improvement, but I’m not sure what else to do to lighten it and make it a little more track versatile.

Any tips for someone looking to try something similar with the 4s kraton?
I’m looking to change the wing so when it does inadvertently flip it doesn’t gouge out too much of the track. The current wing just jacks up dirt like a shovel.

I just got some duratrax x-cons for it so the tires should be a big improvement, but I’m not sure what else to do to lighten it and make it a little more track versatile.

I don't know much about the 4s Kraton, but depending on the surface dedicated race tyres are a must, you can still race with basher tyres but you'll be at a huge disadvantage. Gearing is really important, try and find gearing that will allow you to run lap after lap without overheating, racing can be quite hard on your electronics, often you need to brake a lot more than when you're bashing. Your fans will break fairly easily so gear the car to run without them.

If the track isn't too extreme see if you can run without the center brace, if you have any bumpers remove them, if you have any accessories installed check if they are heavier than stock, and remove any mud guards. You want to ensure your car has plenty of flexibility to be able to find grip, you will want to build the car differently to a basher. Soft and light suspension, diffs will need tuning, your camber and toe links will need to be set, ride height adjusted. Even your battery may need to meet a standard, ie hard case?

All the best with it, racing is so much fun.

Let me know how you get on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back