Home Audio Q: How to connect firecube TV to in-home speakers!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActionJackson

Reaction score
Hey guys I figured we’ve got some smart electronics guys in here so…

I’ve got 6 speakers built into the ceiling and walls of my living room… but I can’t figure out a good way to connect my tv/firecube to them… and of course the speakers are wired through the walls and into a closet down the hallway which makes this even more challenging to figure out because I can’t run a wired connection so maybe it must be Bluetooth connected?

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

Hey guys I figured we’ve got some smart electronics guys in here so…

I’ve got 6 speakers built into the ceiling and walls of my living room… but I can’t figure out a good way to connect my tv/firecube to them…

and of course the speakers are wired through the walls and into a closet down the hallway which makes this even more challenging to figure out because I can’t run a wired connection so maybe it must be Bluetooth connected?

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

First, do you have a Home Theater Receiver to power those speakers (in that closet)?

And, does the closet also have the HDMI cable/port to reach back into in living room >> for your television/projector?

Let me know and I'll be able to come up with the solution.

Or, a simple photo of the wiring (or cable terminations) in the closet would help too..
Just to see what we're working with..

Or, a simple photo of the wiring (or cable terminations) in the closet would help too..
Just to see what we're working with..
Thanks Tex, I appreciate the advice and will get a photo of the interface for reference shortly. I don’t believe there’s an HDMI because the house was build in 1994 so probably not that up-to-date.

Thanks Tex, I appreciate the advice and will get a photo of the interface for reference shortly. I don’t believe there’s an HDMI because the house was build in 1994 so probably not that up-to-date.

Gotcha.

And just so I know.. How far away is that closet?

Gotcha.

And just so I know.. How far away is that closet?
The interface in the closet is approximately 15’ as the crow flys and ~30’ wire routing length through the wall from the speakers you can see under the tv to that closet which you can barely see down the hall. There are three speakers under the tv and two in the ceiling which you can see in the photos.

I’m thinking a Bluetooth connection from fire cube to a receiver…? Which routes sound out to speaker interface…? what are you thinking is a good solution to this old house’s interface? Doesn’t need to be too-notch sound quality, just want the in-wall speakers doing their thing FYI.

Thanks for taking a look!!!

IMG_7881.jpeg

IMG_7880.jpeg

IMG_7879.jpeg

IMG_7882.jpeg

Okay.
Nice..
I see a couple of RJ-45 ports ,so hopefully there's one that leads back out to your TV area..

You need a set of these >>
Screenshot_20240317-124725.png

HDMI CAT 5e/6 converters/extenders ,good for 200ft spands.

So you would place your FireCube in the closet, and hook it up to your stereo amp/receiver that powers those speakers.

Then connect one of the HDMI converters to the FireCube
and the other converter to the other end of the CAT 5e port, near your TV..
choose an available HDMI socket at the back of your flat screen.

That should do it.

Presumably the FireCube Remote can "reach" the closet..

It has built-in Bi-directional IR repeater circuits.
That's Great!
So you can still use your stock remote -If it's infrared-based (and not Bluetooth based.)

-You may still need to get the IR sensors though, I'm not sure..

Last edited:
Ok so I did some digging around the back behind the tv and here’s what I see.

Looks like an infrared sensor and cat5 connection? That IR sensor feeds through to the closet FYI.

IMG_7885.jpeg

Ok so I did some digging around the back behind the tv and here’s what I see.

Looks like an infrared sensor and cat5 connection? That IR sensor feeds through to the closet FYI.

View attachment 355208

IF Only it has a HDMI port too, then you're set..

So, you still need a pair of converters that I mentioned above.

IF Only it has a HDMI port too, then you're set..

So, you still need a pair of converters that I mentioned above.
Yep, TV has hdmi so we’re good there 👍

Last piece I need is a receiver, any recommendations?

…on the receiver topic… Was wondering, would a Bluetooth receiver connected to the fire cube similar to a Bluetooth sound bar connected work also and avoid the converters? The receiver would sit in the closet and wire to the speaker in the wall I’m guessing. Just not sure if receivers can connect to Bluetooth like that ?

Thanks for the guidance!

I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion - Ditch the in wall speakers - Remove them and re-plaster the holes. IMHO this old school sound setup will never give you the sound quality you get from a decent soundbar setup or even a regular room speaker setup. Today's TV streaming supporting Dolby Atmos / Multi Channel audio is avail on most platforms and again IMHO typical old school in-wall are not up to the challenge.

Even a pair of Amazon "Studio" speakers would be a better alternative.

If you into Hi-Res Audio you'll want speakers that will support Hi-Res Audio for music listening.

To recap - don't chase old technology :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I really want to experience those ceiling speakers and wouldn’t be shocked if I have to get up there and replace any which are dead anyway, tbd. Could also open them up and upgrade in the future, but I’m not terribly worried about top-notch sounds… just something better than the flatscreen built in speakers and figured if it’s easy enough to make work I’d give it a go 👍

Back