Home Router for parental controls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi all,

Looking for experience / feedback on home routers and parental control features.

Currently I am looking at the synology wrx560
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/WRX560

The key thing I want is adult content filtering and in addition the ability to filter specific sites likes youtube based on individual profiles for the kids.
I had my eye on a Asus model for its performance but it appears the filtering of specific sites is not something you can do.

Hi all,

Looking for experience / feedback on home routers and parental control features.

The key thing I want is adult content filtering and in addition the ability to filter specific sites likes youtube based on individual profiles for the kids.
I had my eye on a Asus model for its performance but it appears the filtering of specific sites is not something you can do.

Being an IT guy, I do not want to confuse you. This is a bit more in-depth than I am saying. I prefer DNS filtering on my networks or VLANs. When using Unifi devices, you can set VLANs and filter devices (kids), IPs, etc, and control them better.

How I block content using DNS, which filters the adult content for me. Guest network, devices, etc. Again, for most, it might be easier to find a router that has parental content. Netgear Nighthawk was good for me before I moved to Unifi network equipment.

Using DNS controls
---
Cloudflare
1.1.1.1 for Families

Use the following DNS resolvers to block malicious content:
2606:4700:4700::1112
2606:4700:4700::1002

Block malware and adult content
Use the following DNS resolvers to block malware and adult content:
2606:4700:4700::1113
2606:4700:4700::1003

I use a D-Link Triband router-

Two different WiFi frequencies for Primary and Guest access with separate totally their own passcodes.
Can set the transmission power, do it forces my kids to be at a certain area. ie: they can't take their iPads upstairs into their rooms.
They have to stay downstairs near the kitchen/livingroom area..

Can set time durations for specific devices (individually) to access the Internet.
Then block certain websites for those devices while online..

The parental controls- blacklist, filters keywords.

We haven't had to use such fine grain restrictions/controls -yet- for our kiddos..

But, I'm sure that days coming...

Being an IT guy, I do not want to confuse you. This is a bit more in-depth than I am saying. I prefer DNS filtering on my networks or VLANs. When using Unifi devices, you can set VLANs and filter devices (kids), IPs, etc, and control them better.

How I block content using DNS, which filters the adult content for me. Guest network, devices, etc. Again, for most, it might be easier to find a router that has parental content. Netgear Nighthawk was good for me before I moved to Unifi network equipment.

Using DNS controls
---
Cloudflare
1.1.1.1 for Families

Use the following DNS resolvers to block malicious content:
2606:4700:4700::1112
2606:4700:4700::1002

Block malware and adult content
Use the following DNS resolvers to block malware and adult content:
2606:4700:4700::1113
2606:4700:4700::1003

I also once being an IT also recommend the Netgear Nighthawk. Very easy to use.

Would it make more sense to have your computers make requests to a desktop pc being used as a server. All the data would go through there. You could see the profile that tries to access it, and you can blacklist websites.

Hi all,

I just replaced my old dated Cisco with a TP Link AX3000 Mesh setup., Wifi6 level, OFDMA. The main reason is that it comes with Parental controls. (Homeshield) WPA3 is the latest Encryption Most newer routers have this now. The FULL parental control APP is by subscription however. And Many new routers charge for complete parental control via an APP from anywhere even remotely. AX3000 was like $117.00 before X-Mass. There are better ones out there. You can spend beaucoup on higher spec'ed Routers. out there. Just make sure to get an AX spec'ed one at a minimum, Beamforming spec, makes the WIfi work way much better. Much higher WIfi Bandwidth. With Less latency. Any decent current router will have the Mesh standard.
Wifi6E is the latest. Getting a third 6 Gig band now, which is very open and free of interference. Many IO device clients are not quite up to these specs however. But is a future proof standard coming in the near future. It's easy to spend $400.-600. on the latest and greatest easily. Not needed for the home IMHO.
Getting into Open source F/W capable routers are the best way to control your Lan And Wan. Depends how tech savvy your are. I wish Parental controls were more easy to set up with all these routers. Some F/W's are harder to navigate than others.
This gets quite technical, as @parcou stated. He eats this stuff for breakfast.:cool:

Last edited:
The main reason I started shopping for it is because our AT&T router does not have any of this functionality.
The only thing I can do is put devices on profiles and setup on/off times for their access. That is the full limit of its ability. Plus the speed of the router is around 1 gig versus these new ones supporting 5+

I have Specktrum service and their Wifi router is complete garbage. And quite Insecure at that. They will swear they have the latest tech. Just the latest Garbage IMHO. All ISP's are like this. And they even charge you a lease fee for their Routers.(n)(n)
Need your own Router patched into an ISP Modem. Best way.

>>>I heard that Asus and TP-link are above average brands getting great reviews for most home users.
Be careful with reviews however. They are not all accurate and can favor one brand/model for many other reasons.
Independent PEN Testor reviews are the best source. And there are many less known brand routers out there as well that meet many of the same Wifi/ router standards. The F/W and ease of use is what separates the men from the boys. I only use the Timing function for my son, to schedule when he has access. He is 14 yo now. He has his own dedicated network for gaming and searching the net, etc. I can lock that down as needed. Even remotely. But Full Parental controls of access to sites and Data logs of your childs activity can get elaborate. Managing it and all.

Last edited:
I have Specktrum service and their Wifi router is complete garbage. And quite Insecure at that. They will swear they have the latest tech. Just the latest Garbage IMHO. All ISP's are like this. And they even charge you a lease fee for their Routers.(n)(n)

>>>I heard that Asus and TP-link are above average brands getting great reviews for most home users.
Be careful with reviews however. They are not all accurate and can favor one brand/model for many other reasons.
Independent PEN Testor reviews are the best source. And there are many less known brand routers out there as well that meet many of the same Wifi/ router standards. The F/W and ease of use is what separates the men from the boys. I only use the Timing function for my son, to schedule when he has access. He is 14 yo now. He has his own dedicated network for gaming and searching the net, etc. I can lock that down as needed. Even remotely. But Full Parental controls of access to sites and Data logs of your childs activity can get elaborate. Managing it and all.

We switched from Verizon to Spectrum(Cable Internet) around the start of covid..
It worked Well..

But then right after our two years Discounted Rate Contract ended.. our Internet speeds (200Mb Down/50mb Up) started to act up was inconsistent and would totally drops/disconnects went through the roof. I lost count how many times we were experiencing that in a day...
It was Retarded.

Their customer service/support didn't help nor fix the problems.
However they were Happy to offer us additional cable channels packages "with better speeds" at More prices... 🤦

I hate them all. They throttle your crap all too much. And not by accident. So they can upsell you. I go right to my Spectrum store now. Over the phone is fruitless. Their service sucks on a good day where I live. They have bad poles and drops . Old infrastructure where I am. I dropped their Cable TV service completely some years ago. I was getting better DirecTV Satellite Dish service in the worst storms. But Spectrum would drop out if it was lightly raining for an hour. I cut the TV cord 8 years ago. No value with Cable programming. Unless you are stuck on their sports packages. How they reel you in. Cable and DirecTV would drop many channels from their lineup here as well. Sucked. Most people stream now anyway. Cable TV is a thing of the past. And is way overpriced when you think about it. I don't know why there are still Cable TV users. Many of my friends years past would say how can you Not have Cable TV? Now they are all cord cutters like myself. Saving more than 1,500.00 a year on that crap. They brag of all the channels you get. (n) But in reality you only watch like 5 of those channels or so everyday. The rest are literally GARBAGE channels. Useless Home shopping crap, tons of 5 min Commercials every 15 min., religious channels, Multi language shows and all.
Cut the Cord, if you haven't already. A Roku Box or Roku TV is your best friend. (y)I also have a strong roof antenna pointing line of site directly to the Empire state building and WTC tower . I get numerous OTA TV channels from NY, CT to NJ and everywhere in between in a pinch. Free TV . No issues. I always have something to watch, when the ISP is down. And this can happen for days on end for some of us.
I am considering StarLink. But could be cost prohibitive still. IDK. I only have Verizon or Spectrum available where my home is. Verizon costs more, but gets you a better and dedicated account bandwidth. Both Up and Down speeds. Spectrum's bandwidth fluctuates as the wind blows. (n) They call it "Best Effort' speeds B.S. More like Zero effort. Saying SOL, you get what you get. This always depends where you live.

Edited.
Sorry for my rant.
Drifted off topic here.

Last edited:

I read it as spektrum and thought, I didn't know they were in the business, but it makes sense that their products are junk...

I meant Spectrum Cable/ISP provider. (Sorry for the mis-spelling there) Which is actually owned by Comcast. More known as such across the country.

I meant Spectrum Cable/ISP provider. (Sorry for the mis-spelling there) Which is actually owned by Comcast. More known as such across the country.
Spectrum is owned by Charter I think. Decent quality service apart from the router?

Yes you are right. My bad . It's Charter Comm. Since 2014. I should know that. I dealt with Corporate before.:rolleyes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back