How much is enough torque on a servo? (Kraton 6S)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
Iv read if you can turn your wheels on the grass at least 2/3 of full travel your servo is strong enough. Im thinking of getting a 45kg servo instead of what a lot of people get, 35kg. DS3235 seems to be the servo folks for on the cheapo side of things. I think Im going to get a 9imod 45kg servo, its 14 grams heavier which is my only reservation, maybe the ds3235 is all I need. But how much is enough, the servo saver is going to give out any way so whats the use for all that torque?

I got a ds3235 for my Kraton. I was not happy with it. Didn’t seem any better than stock. I replaced it with a powerhobby 729mbl

Iv read if you can turn your wheels on the grass at least 2/3 of full travel your servo is strong enough. Im thinking of getting a 45kg servo instead of what a lot of people get, 35kg. DS3235 seems to be the servo folks for on the cheapo side of things. I think Im going to get a 9imod 45kg servo, its 14 grams heavier which is my only reservation, maybe the ds3235 is all I need. But how much is enough, the servo saver is going to give out any way so whats the use for all that torque?
Try tightening the servo saver first.

I ended up getting a basher queen servo saver. Its kinda odd as you crank it up it comes of the base of the mount. It was only ten bucks more for the 45kg one and its got aluminum top and bottom which I think it good to prevent deformity and it leaks.
Im so pissed the amazon 20 buck 35kg servo said it was water proof and its not. It ended up moving randomly and when I took it apart is was corroded inside and no seal. Im actually wondering if thats what killed my lipo packs some how.

The ds3235 seems to be a goto for folks, maybe I should have gotten that but I also read about people getting even more powerful servos then the 45kg ones.

I ended up getting a basher queen servo saver. Its kinda odd as you crank it up it comes of the base of the mount. It was only ten bucks more for the 45kg one and its got aluminum top and bottom which I think it good to prevent deformity and it leaks.
Im so pissed the amazon 20 buck 35kg servo said it was water proof and its not. It ended up moving randomly and when I took it apart is was corroded inside and no seal. Im actually wondering if thats what killed my lipo packs some how.

The ds3235 seems to be a goto for folks, maybe I should have gotten that but I also read about people getting even more powerful servos then the 45kg ones.
Getting full turn is a project... Servo? Servo saver? Bellhousing? So much to look at. Sorry Man...

To answer the title, never enough! On a serious level, 35 true kg is awesome for a 6s scale rig. Most servos are not truly rated though.

@dwashb7145

One other thing to add. After watching so many videos on binding, endpoints, and calibration. You want to make sure your handheld radio/transmitter as well as the ESC knows your trigger travel.

Set your servo endpoints. I've found that once all that is tweaked, you need to rebind to relearn the trigger travel points again, so you get full L/R and F/R after the adjustments are made. Then the ESC (Spektrum, Hobbywing, etc) has an ESC calibration to learn netural, full throttle, and full brake. Process of holding the ESC power button and SET button to learn those points...something like that.

In the end, what I am saying is to check out some videos to make sure you are getting your total travel distance for L/R F/R for both the ESC and the receiver.

Thanks guys I set my end point by holding tires in max direction one way with the horn off. Then I put the horn back on with end point set to that position. To get get full travel, then the other side. You can even loosen the servo screws and it moves. Also the plastic arm is holding the control horn assembly far out there I don't know how much force that can take. I have bearings on the ackermen bar. Its really smooth, also new a arms. It seems like so much torque the other parts cant take it. I can really crank the resistance up with the basherqueen setup.
What I don't like is you have to make an extension from the control arm to the steering arm that compromises linkage, force. 15 grams more isnt that bad is it? Those 8imod servos seem to get those spects. Man Im so used to 9 gram servos. Coming from the airplane world I really like these trucks and how much power and more work in some ways goes into them keeping that robustness. And the video is perfect thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back