How much taller tires before longer shocks are needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
For example on a Typhon, I see people going up to Mojave size tires which are around an inch taller. At what point does the length of the shocks create issues?

When it’s not getting chassis slap on large jumps you’ll start bending droop chassis ears or pulling shock rod ends. There is a geometry balance on each setup. For a short-armed track rig like the Typhon/Mojave/Senton with big angle articulation it’d have to be a large diameter tire.

Last edited:
Just wanna see if I understand your question...So if I have a typhon and I go extreme and put on some Kraton tires on it. Do you think the shocks "need to be changed"? This is interesting.

I don't know what the max tire size would be dimensionally speaking, that will vary by model I bet.. My belief is that, the chassis should touch down "before" the shocks bottom out. If not, you will damage the shocks,standoffs or shock shafts.
The droop screws won't come into play in this scenario, they prevent over extension of the shocks, driveline angles too.
Basically, as long as the chassis bottoms before the shocks, you're safe..
What we building?🤔

Last edited:
The Mojave tires are sick I would try those. Either that or put hex extenders on and run kraton 4s tires that could be good.

I realize now I didn't even answer the question at hand. Please ignore my lack of reading lol. But my statement still stands about the tires

What we building?🤔
Oh....nothing....yet. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have my Typhon parted out with a handful of upgrades from it now on my Fireteam. Looking at the leftovers and trying to decide if I want to build another rig (Outcast/Notorious possibly) or sell the parts for upgrades on other rigs.

The Mojave tires are sick I would try those. Either that or put hex extenders on and run kraton 4s tires that could be good.

I realize now I didn't even answer the question at hand. Please ignore my lack of reading lol. But my statement still stands about the tires
Guess I didn't read between the lines either..😁
I agree tho, mojo tires kickass on pretty much everything!! I actually just put together a Kraton with mojo arms and tires.. gonna be the Asuga I can't afford!!😁🤣🤣

Yeah just wondering if the Typhon shocks would be enough to run Backflip LPs since they are about .7 inches shorter than regular Backflips.

I don't know what the max tire size would be dimensionally speaking, that will vary by model I bet.. My belief is that, the chassis should touch down "before" the shocks bottom out. If not, you will damage the shocks,standoffs or shock shafts.
The droop screws won't come into play in this scenario, they prevent over extension of the shocks, driveline angles too.
What we building?🤔
Interesting I went to a lot of trouble getting fuel line to dampen the drop from jumps on my Kraton. Reason was to avoid the front drive shaft from coming out when the front dives on breaking or landing. But I guess in my scenario the shocks are not necessarily bottoming out every time.

What we building?🤔
Not just the shocks you don't want your drive shafts bottoming out in the diff cups before the chassis hits the ground either this is a good way to bend or break the driveshafts.

Interesting I went to a lot of trouble getting fuel line to dampen the drop from jumps on my Kraton. Reason was to avoid the front drive shaft from coming out when the front dives on breaking or landing. But I guess in my scenario the shocks are not necessarily bottoming out every time.
I too have had the dogbone ejection from drive cups on my kraton, if thats what you're talking about? Mine would pop whenever the front suspension over compressed..PIA!! Iwas stacking o rings on the shock shaft, outside the shock body to try and prevent it..helped, not solved though. Some minty fellas here on the forum (@Camaroboy383 ) told me to ditch the spacers behind the pivot balls..bam!! No more dogbones popping out👌
You could go a step further if needed and grind a bit off the end of the arms where the pivot balls thread in too..
Not just the shocks you don't want your drive shafts bottoming out in the diff cups before the chassis hits the ground either this is a good way to bend or break the driveshafts.
And split drive cups! Good point👌

Yes obviously I was speaking from a racing standpoint, but bigger circumference wheels will need droop adjusted/preload/oil wt/alignment to gain the same amount of travel and static centerline. From a bashing standpoint, you have much bigger problems making an impact at the upper wheel/spindle/top hub with larger diameter tire than the original geometry designed.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back