How to and how not to front flip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRC

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I posted some advice on front flips in a reply in another thread, but thought I'd put a post dedicated to it here. I've been watching videos submitted for East Tactics October Front Flip Challenge. A playlist of the entries is here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9UjUE_DygV8lcSXCXjcnaQjp_tI5lP9E I think the submissions illustrate many of the do's and don'ts of front flips. The clean front flips follow these tips, the uncontrolled twisters do not.

- Only attempt with very straight takeoffs. Any deviation from straight is amplified when you hit the brake and will send you into a bad twist. The playlist has many examples of crooked takeoffs and the resulting twisting flight.
- Brake early, just as you leave the ramp. Braking earlier gives the RC less time to get crooked in the air. Braking early also gives you a stronger change in wheel speed.
- The more drastic the change in wheel speed, the faster the front flip rotation will be. Accelerating well through the ramp then firmly hitting the brake as you leave the ramp will get you a nice tight front flip.
- But again, always pay attention to the takeoff. If it's not very straight, ABORT and don't hit the brake to front flip.
- Don't float first then brake to flip, like some in the playlist do. One or two get away with it because they are very straight in the air. But more often, the result will be a bad twist and/or slow forward rotation.
- To level out and land, use forward throttle to stop/slow down the front flip rotation.
- If you're forward flipping too slowly, you didn't follow the above steps. But it's too late now, you're in the air and about to crash. The safer bet is to use forward throttle to abort the forward flip and level out. Another option is to use reverse throttle to speed up the forward flip. But just LIGHTLY TAP reverse throttle. Hard reverse will send the RC into a crazy fast forward flip.

The clean balanced front flips in the playlist almost all follow this formula. Very straight takeoff, accelerate through the ramp, brake early and firmly right after you leave the ramp. I think initiating a good front flip is easy once you start doing this. Once you're initiating a consistent front flip that stays straight, when and how much gas to apply to level out becomes much more predictable.

This submission illustrates good front flip technique.

Last edited:
Good advice, still, the parts stores will love you making it sound like it's possible with little training :ROFLMAO:
Before learning these tips, my front flip attempts were mostly bad twisting crashes. I have to give credit to a video from CCxRC for the brake early tip. I was pulling off front flips my first session after applying it. The need for a straight takeoff became obvious quickly. But really, once you're initiating a consistent flip that stays straight, the damage factor goes way down. When you should level out becomes predictable. Also, on a reasonably soft landing surface, missed landings are not so terrible as long as you're straight. With the bumpers and body, Arrma's are built to take straight hits fairly well. It's those twisting, bad angle, single wheel crushing crashes that do the most damage.

That said, front flips are still a more advanced jump. You should be able to land jumps and backflips consistently first.

This is the first session applying the brake early tip from CCxRC. There are 3 successful front flips as well as some bailouts and twisters. I practiced only front flips for awhile before shooting the video.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back