Typhon I did a thing....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have 2, but my 1 charger with a para board could charge 6 5000mah 6s lipos at once and still have a little bit of headroom left.

Now we're talking :) I've been out of RC for 5+ years, since my 6S helicopters. My iCharger 308Duo with parallel boards sounds somewhat similar to what you're describing. I could parallel charge my (3) 6S 4100 packs at 2.5C (30A) on one channel, and use the other channel for the smaller packs.

I've been a bit surprised to see charging-info websites suggest not parallel charging? I don't know if that's a difference from helis, or because of more dual-channel chargers, or if parallel charging has maybe been determined as a bad idea.

Parallel charging was very common with helicopters, perhaps in part due to short flight times, ~5 minutes. It was the quickest way to get a bunch of packs ready again, especially at the field, parallel charging at maybe 2C. But with more multi-channel chargers, and longer run times for ground vehicles, maybe it's not needed as much now?

Now we're talking :) I've been out of RC for 5+ years, since my 6S helicopters. My iCharger 308Duo with parallel boards sounds somewhat similar to what you're describing. I could parallel charge my (3) 6S 4100 packs at 2.5C (30A) on one channel, and use the other channel for the smaller packs.

I've been a bit surprised to see charging-info websites suggest not parallel charging? I don't know if that's a difference from helis, or because of more dual-channel chargers, or if parallel charging has maybe been determined as a bad idea.

Parallel charging was very common with helicopters, perhaps in part due to short flight times, ~5 minutes. It was the quickest way to get a bunch of packs ready again, especially at the field, parallel charging at maybe 2C. But with more multi-channel chargers, and longer run times for ground vehicles, maybe it's not needed as much now?

There are quite few guys on here that parallel charge their car batteries its literally the same thing as charging 1 big battery. I parallel charge but I only charge 2 batteries at the same time on each channel.

There are quite few guys on here that parallel charge their car batteries its literally the same thing as charging 1 big battery. I parallel charge but I only charge 2 batteries at the same time on each channel.

Thanks. One thing I've been curious about, for parallel charging, is how similar the pack voltages might be after driving. For aircraft, I had a timer set on the transmitter, and would land after the timer. The different pack voltages were always very similar, say within 0.05V/cell.

But for cars/trucks, I don't know if people use timers (I'm guessing not?), or go until the first LVC warnings, or something else. But it's made me curious if pack voltages might be rather different afterwards, which could be a little more "abrupt" when you connect the packs together again, to parallel charge them. I guess if you at least start with connecting the main leads, and give them a few seconds to equalize, before connecting the balance leads, you could reduce the risks of things getting exciting.

Thanks. One thing I've been curious about, for parallel charging, is how similar the pack voltages might be after driving. For aircraft, I had a timer set on the transmitter, and would land after the timer. The different pack voltages were always very similar, say within 0.05V/cell.

But for cars/trucks, I don't know if people use timers (I'm guessing not?), or go until the first LVC warnings, or something else. But it's made me curious if pack voltages might be rather different afterwards, which could be a little more "abrupt" when you connect the packs together again, to parallel charge them. I guess if you at least start with connecting the main leads, and give them a few seconds to equalize, before connecting the balance leads, you could reduce the risks of things getting exciting.

Yeah I always check mine before I stick them back on to make sure the voltage is about the same if not I just storage charge them individually. I have enough batteries that I usually only have to charge them once per bash session.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back