Typhon I Want A Typhon But.....Well Crap... 6S On Its Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22-250Fan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 6s
I really really want a Typhon but I can't decide if I want a 3s or 6s. I know some of the flaws on the 3s rig like rocks in the steering and the esc. What are some of the biggest flaws with the 6s machine?

I really really want a Typhon but I can't decide if I want a 3s or 6s. I know some of the flaws on the 3s rig like rocks in the steering and the esc. What are some of the biggest flaws with the 6s machine?
It can get too fast? lol
The stock tires 6s v3 and earlier aren't that great. You also may want to think about cushioning if you plan to jump...or get to 2.8 tires / truggify.
Otherwise the thing is light and nimble and usually lighter means less breakage on bad landings. And just like any buggy, the shocks are exposed and can damage shock caps on rollover.
Thats what I think anyway. I like mine and enjoy modifying it on a whim.

I can't tell you about any flaws with the 6s, if any at all, but can tell you the 2019 version is a rocketship. It's light and nimble and looks great. Depends if you are willing to shell out the extra cash for the 6s and lipo.

Even on 4S the Typhon is plenty fast and guaranteed to peak the fun meter.

If I was in the market for the new Typhon, 6S model would be a no brainer!

3S is cheaper and 50mph out of the box. Put some tape or something in the front of the body to keep the rocks out.

Apples and oranges I think, both are great choices. Personally I just bash my 3S and the 6S model would ave been too much for what I wanted from it )

Both are great rigs. 6s is more tunable due to the center diff. It's also more expensive. Is money isn't a factor is suggest the 6s. If in a budget, go 3s.

I too am in the market for a Typhon and have been juggling between the idea of 3s vs 6s. The minute I decide on one, I read something that shifts my focus to the other.

I have a BRCC and a Talion V3 (also have 3s and 4s LiPos on hand), and was playing with the idea of getting a light Slash 4x4 LCG for my local track and bashing at smaller spots, then decided to go 1/8 buggy.

I love how light and nimble the 3s is, but like you said, rocks in the steering...also the play in the bellcrank and turnbuckles, leaky plastic shocks, and spotty parts support, which has me now leaning towards 6s. :unsure:

I too am in the market for a Typhon and have been juggling between the idea of 3s vs 6s. The minute I decide on one, I read something that shifts my focus to the other.

I have a BRCC and a Talion V3 (also have 3s and 4s LiPos on hand), and was playing with the idea of getting a light Slash 4x4 LCG for my local track and bashing at smaller spots, then decided to go 1/8 buggy.

I love how light and nimble the 3s is, but like you said, rocks in the steering...also the play in the bellcrank and turnbuckles, leaky plastic shocks, and spotty parts support, which has me now leaning towards 6s. :unsure:
If you have the Talion then u know what 6s rigs are about. The guy right above was on the fence and went 6s. Guy below him just went 6s, that should tell u something.

You know the build of the 3s doesn't have the higher end parts of the 6s. You said it yourself about the steering parts and shocks. The 6s Typhon is a rocketship and looks killer. Even on 4s its stout. So u know which one to get.

If you let me confuse you ... from the cons you listed i think only the leaky shocks are valid. I have the rocks issue only on my Senton, the Typhon body is more sealed and i don't have the issue there. Also the play is not that bad, and easily and cheaply fixed by replacing them every few months.

If the intended use is leaning more to track use, i would say go for the 3s, the 6s is heavy for a track, I have both and i bring both when going to a track, but i run the 3s much more.

They'll both go 50mph but I feel the shocks on the 3s machines need replacing sooner than later. My BRCC needed shocks as soon as I started doing some jumps.
If you have your 20t Talion speed pinion and stick it in the 6s Typhon, the thing will be an absolute 75mph demon. I did it and it scared the hell out of me. Now it's plenty rippin fast on 4s and doesn't ruin tires as fast; I ruined the Exabytes doing this myself but I'm happy to do so. lol In fact, I bought some Duratrax Six Packs for buggy, vented and just tonight finished strapping 65# Spider Braid fishing line so I can see how it goes on 6s again. I have the V3 Typhon and even know a good man in this very forum that could possibly save you a considerable amount of money for brand new in the box if he has one.
I honestly thought I wouldn't run the Typhon as much as I do but I find it so versatile with the extended hubs and 2.8 tires to "truggify" and then quick back again on buggy tires to maintain its true identity. I run it as often as any or even more than the Noto and the brand new Kraton.
Plus, it's a less expensive 6s that leaves a little room for the customization cost compared to the other $550 V4 6s trucks.
Extended hubs or arms, new body, new wheels / tires, new truck for less. imo, it's the most versatile of all the 6s line for less cost.

I'd go with 6S just due to the following:
Steel cvd's
Steel center bones
Steel pinion/ring gears
Has a Center diff

IMHO, having a brushless 4wd vehicle without a center diff is just a pain to drive. It being a buggy, it's lower to the ground and has smaller tires than a comparable truck like the granite, but still. The center diff lets you calm things down just enough to make it edgy, but fun. Or a lot if you wanted.

If you want to be a bit more laid back and not beat on the driveline and tires as much, run 4S in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back