Infraction Infraction dboots hoons are warped!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocwheaton

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
Hi all,

I am in the process of building up an infraction using electrics from my Kraton 6S v5 to start with (new electrics coming later once I do more research and know what I want to get).

All is good with the car itself, however, the dboots hoons whites that were on the car, AND the silvers I bought as the next set, are all out of round/warped on the inside (car side) to varying degrees.

Here's a vid of one of the brand new, never driven silver hoons:

All of the 8 tyres are like this to varying degrees. I'd say 2 of them are passable, but the other 6 are too out of round for an expensive, high speed wheel.

It looks like the wheel rim itself is out of round from. Like the plastic, which is unsupported on the inside, has distorted as it cooled or something.

The reason I bought the silvers was so they'd last a while, but I think they'll wear prematurely if warped.

Do I have a dud batch (2 batches!) or do they maybe straighten themselves out when spun up to speed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It may be where they've been in storage. The main concern is if they're balanced. Run them again as you did in the video but get to near (or at) 100%. They'll be fine to use if there's little to no vibration. If there is considerable vibration, you can try balancing them (plenty of YT guides), or else try returning them to the retailer you bought them from

Ugh you'd think for the prices they charge the QC would be higher. I've been looking for new tires for my Vorteks but there are so few choices given the 14mm hex and shortish arms. I'm probably going to try some belted Duratrax ST's but they are also riddled with bad reviews. It seems like Proline is the best of the bunch, but they are really pricey and vented on the inside :mad:. You can literally buy a car tire for the price of a pair of belted prolines, and you still have to vent them yourself. The RC tire racket has for me been the most frustrating and costly aspect of this hobby. The speed and durability of RC's have come a long way but the tires are no better then they were 30 years ago.

After a night of not much sleep (thanks to my 1 year old :sleep: ) and taking another look at the wheels, the rims on these hoons are very flexible on the inside where there is no structural support, so I assume that even if it was round at some stage, it only takes a slight squeeze to make it not round again.

I guess when the car is driving at speed, it'll constantly be hitting things and flexing, and hopefully going back into shape forced by the centrifugal force of the high rotational speed.

So I assume what I'm seeing is normal. Let me know if I'm wrong :cool:

I'll try to check the balance before taking it for a drive and hopefully it'll be ok.

My ultimate plan re tyres is to get hold of some of the solid rubber tyres that WestOz RC has been testing out and see how they go, and hopefully they'll be an economical way to drive this car. I've emailed the company in Western Australia who made them. Waiting for a reply. I hope they set up an ebay shop or something to make them available easily for a reasonable price.

Cheers

Greg

After a night of not much sleep (thanks to my 1 year old :sleep:) and taking another look at the wheels,

Hey Greg,
Know That situation Very well ,been there twice before..

the rims on these hoons are very flexible on the inside where there is no structural support, so I assume that even if it was round at some stage, it only takes a slight squeeze to make it not round again. I guess when the car is driving at speed, it'll constantly be hitting things and flexing, and hopefully going back into shape forced by the centrifugal force of the high rotational speed.

So I assume what I'm seeing is normal. Let me know if I'm wrong :cool:

That is correct.
They are intentionally designed/made that soft... I remember there's a short YT video mentioning it and why they did that (somewhere). I'll try to find it.
But, Yes -it's to protect the wheel itself, so when your rig hits any small rock, road seam, etc at 60MPH+ speeds ,it won't shatter.

I'll try to check the balance before taking it for a drive and hopefully it'll be ok.

My ultimate plan re tyres is to get hold of some of the solid rubber tyres that WestOz RC has been testing out and see how they go, and hopefully they'll be an economical way to drive this car. I've emailed the company in Western Australia who made them. Waiting for a reply. I hope they set up an ebay shop or something to make them available easily for a reasonable price.

Cheers

Greg

There's also GRP wheels, might want to give them a look see also >

GRP Revo

Hey Greg,
Know That situation Very well ,been there twice before..

That is correct.
They are intentionally designed/made that soft... I remember there's a short YT video mentioning it and why they did that (somewhere). I'll try to find it.
But, Yes -it's to protect the wheel itself, so when your rig hits any small rock, road seam, etc at 60MPH+ speeds ,it won't shatter.

There's also GRP wheels, might want to give them a look see also >

GRP Revo
Thanks!
Put two packs on the white hoons today, and I'd say they have 1 park left in them before there's no tread left.

I took it easy on the car to, so they really don't last long!!

Car is sooooooo nice to drive though. OMG!

I hope the silver I have will last a lot longer. Will try the hardest GRPs after that, then hopefully try out the emerging option of the solid rubber tyres.
Thanks!
Put two packs on the white hoons today, and I'd say they have 1 park left in them before there's no tread left.

I hope the silver I have will last a lot longer. Will try the hardest GRPs after that, then hopefully try out the emerging option of the solid rubber tyres.
Does anyone else find it hard to differentiate the silver hoons from the white hoons? That silver and white text looks so similar to my eyes. Oh well, first world problems 😊

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it hard to differentiate the silver hoons from the white hoons? That silver and white text looks so similar to my eyes. Oh well, first world problems 😊

YES...

I have to hold them to certain lights and angels to try to determine the color. So now I just keep them in the package.

That happens when they are glued wrong
Worth a Warranty Claim
Thanks!

Wish i could drive my corvette c8 with increased width on the rear tires. For now try the silver hoons. 5 runs on mine so far. They were tuning runs. The fronts are the one wearing surprisingly

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back