Kraton Is this a good way to truly prevent against rust???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1
Plain WD40 is a Water Displacer like you stated, But it is no more a lubricant than water is. It is primarily a Solvent, And if not cleaned off well enough, after using it on rotating parts like BB's will ruin them sure. WD40 gums up eventually, while also breaking down lubricants. Fact. Lube should follow. Chromium BB's simply rust no matter what.. I pack my BB's with a grease. extends their life. But they still are consumable parts no matter how you slice it. Only use An automotive grease on the diff gears. Red and Tacky is thick and most tenacious and remains for longer. Use oil on the Motor BB's.
Agreed about WD40 its not really needed around an RC, and can actually wash away the good grease you want to keep. Also agreed big time on pulling a seal on a bearing and packing with grease, i used to use red/tacky i have switched to marine grease, i like it better but its positives over re/tacky are negligible mainly I run boats so its always sitting in a bag right by me. Gotta keep them prop shafts packed at all times.

Marine grease for BB's is a plus. But I also use SuperLube grease or Mobil 1, which is WP and has synthetic properties as well. A bit thinner, so the BB's will spin better in most any temps HOT or Cold, and won't Gall out as with thicker grease. I would only use Red and Tacky on The Diff's main and input gears.
But any Automotive NLGI rated grease is more than enough protection on the diffs or BB's. Grades 1, 2, or 3.

Last edited:
+1
Plain WD40 is a Water Displacer like you stated, But it is no more a lubricant than water is. It is primarily a Solvent, And if not cleaned off well enough, after using it on rotating parts like BB's will ruin them sure. WD40 gums up eventually, while also breaking down lubricants. Fact. Lube should follow. Chromium BB's simply rust no matter what.. I pack my BB's with a grease. extends their life. But they still are consumable parts no matter how you slice it. Only use An automotive grease on the diff gears. Red and Tacky is thick and most tenacious and remains for longer. Use oil on the Motor BB's.
I used to do that but i obviously had to service the truck completely to remove all the oil prior to my first run in dry day of spring. I was looking at COW products but they cost an arm to ship to canada

I tried so many products years past.. No more. I feel many $Boutique$ products are just $snake oil$ in the end. There is no magic stuff out there that is worth it, IMHO.
So I simply don't run in the wet stuff. No more rusting screws, my BB's last quite long etc. That works best for me. I know that many do run their Bashers in the wet stuff, I get that.
WD40 is a cheap "do it all master of none" product that is marketted heavily as a household "must have" like it is some magic Spray.
Every home has a can floating around. Myself included. I rather use a Pure silicone spray to displace water , my cars etc.
WD40 is a Moderately helpful Solvent cleaner if anything. Because it sometimes frees up stuck and rusted mechanisms, it appears as a lubricant. NOT. It is more like a rust penetrant if anything. PB Blaster is best for freeing up seized parts, nuts/ bolts, etc. And actually the better solvent. And Brake Spray is the overall best, as it evaporates clean.
Never use WD40 as a Lube!

Last edited:
And whats so special about Canada???
:ROFLMAO:

Might want to understand silicone a little better, and get a refund for your “sealed” bearings 👍🏼
Seal bearing don't mean water proof. It's a dust seal that reduces fine particles from getting in there and help keep lubricants inside the bearings. I don't know of any water proof bearings.

Seal bearing don't mean water proof. It's a dust seal that reduces fine particles from getting in there and help keep lubricants inside the bearings. I don't know of any water proof bearings.

Seen any dirt/water in many rotor/stators?

Funny, much of the states have snow also. It's winter now. Last I heard, happens every year? :LOL:
Maybe I am wrong? I have ice and snow as well here.
Either drive your RC's when its dry outside or don't. The choice is yours. Sure it is fun in the wet, I agree.
>>>Just there is no magical stuff to prevent rust and wear that the wet stuff causes. It's called life. And despite many brands that say their's is WP or WR, well that is just wishful thinking, while you spend more to repair as a result. A win win for them. Not you. Hey this is your RC hobby, to do what you want. There will always be a trade off is what I am saying. I only run my Crawlers in the wet stuff. But I get it, the wet stuff and all.
:giggle:

Funny, much of the states have snow also. It's winter now. Last I heard, happens every year? :LOL:
Maybe I am wrong? I have ice and snow as well here.
Either drive your RC's when its dry outside or don't. The choice is yours. Sure it is fun in the wet, I agree.
>>>Just there is no magical stuff to prevent rust and wear that the wet stuff causes. It's called life. And despite many brands that say their's is WP or WR, well that is just wishful thinking, while you spend more to repair as a result. A win win for them. Not you. Hey this is your RC hobby, to do what you want. There will always be a trade off is what I am saying.
:giggle:
We have snow from december until april in avg

NYS is no different. We can split hairs on who gets it worse. I imagine.... rain, ice or snow.
Nothing wrong with shelfing your RC's for a few months. Do other indoor work with your RC's. What I do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back